PDA

View Full Version : Cause of code p0343 and p0441 ?

4everRS
November 20th, 2009, 00:03
Got my RS6 on tuesday. Hour and a half drive home went great. No issues and the car is in very good condition. Will post picts later. Wednesday the CEL came on. I was starting the car and did not hold the key long enough in the start position and it did not start. Backed the key out and tried again and it started as usual but with the CEL on. Ran the code and they are as above in the title of the post. First is "camshaft position sensor" and other is some purge valve stuff on the emissions system. I have a feeling these are related. If the cam is off, emissions will likely be off. It has 74k on it and is due for the 75k service. My initial thought is T-belt stretch = cam position problems. I did clear the codes and they came back but it took a while and under harder acceleration. I do not yet have the capability of data logging, so Dhall, go easy on me. I am trying to get a indication if other have expirenced this when the t-belt is due. The car runs nice and strong.

V8weight
November 20th, 2009, 00:34
The two codes are not related. The p0441 means that you need to replace your N80 (evap canister purge) valve. That's a common problem, the parts about $80 and takes less than 5 minutes to replace. The p0343 code could be anything as simple as a bad cam sensor, to a bad timing belt tensioner, to a bad cam adjuster (which I doubt because they make a horrible clatter when they fail). I'm sceptical that it would be attributed to timing belt stretch. I beleive the main concern with our belts is deterioration leading to eventual snapping, not stretching.

4everRS
November 20th, 2009, 00:58
Great info V8weight. N80 valve is ordered. Looks like the easiest thing to replace on the car. As far as the cam sensor, is it ok to let it go for about 2 months til I do the t-belt, or does it need attention right away? This is of course assuming that I have no unusual noises or drop in power.

Yellow RS6
November 20th, 2009, 21:03
So this is the second car in a week that someone has bought and got CELs either on the way home or the next day. And I can't sell my car with 0 issues, new DRC, mint interior, and very good exterior to save my life?? Even at $25,500. I don't get it :confused:

RS6-4dr911
November 20th, 2009, 21:17
it's because it's y - e - l - l - o - w

No offense, I love looking at your car, with or without the taxi stickers. But it's a very narrow market for someone that actually wants to own one.

V8weight
November 20th, 2009, 23:03
So this is the second car in a week that someone has bought and got CELs either on the way home or the next day. And I can't sell my car with 0 issues, new DRC, mint interior, and very good exterior to save my life?? Even at $25,500. I don't get it :confused:
If it makes you feel any better I bought my car literally a week before you put yours on the market. I was furious that I paid more for a car with higher miles when I could have had an Imola Yellow one. I would have loved to have owned your car, you just missed me by a week.

RS6-4dr911
November 20th, 2009, 23:59
First, there's one of the few customers above.

Second, upon further reflection, you have two ways to go as I see it.

1. It is a narrow market, above company excepted, so if you want to move it, you're going to have to drop the price some more. Kind of like a nice house in a not so nice location. Not the route I'd suggest.

2. It is a narrow market. And you've got one of only three possible cars for them to choose from and probably the only one on the market right now. If you have the luxury of time, I'd stick to your guns and enjoy it while it's still in your possession, eventually your buyer will materialize.

In the mean time, keep the taxi stickers on and make up for the declining value due to increased miles by picking up fares.

4everRS
November 21st, 2009, 03:42
Sorry Yellow RS6. 4dr911 is correct. That car is great, and you will eventually find a buyer. My clients would really start asking some questions if they saw me driving a yellow anything. It's also nice that so few people really know about this car, in my town, stealth is good. As the economy continues to improve, people won't feel so guilty about buying and driving a bright yellow super sedan.

Yellow RS6
November 23rd, 2009, 14:24
No worries, it's all good. Just blowing off some steam, sorry. I've actually had many offers on it but they just weren't quite what I needed to get, although a few were very close. And now that the new car deals I was banking on (thousands off msrp PLUS 0%) are mostly gone, at this point I'm not even that motivated to sell it. I've stopped bumping my thread in here (actually, I'm going to ask Erik to delete it) and I'm not listing it on ebay currently. Enough people know about the car by now and they can contact me if they are serious.

4dr911 - that's Steve (SAFE4NOW) with the taxi stickers on his, not me. lol

Yellow RS6
November 23rd, 2009, 14:29
And back OT, I think I've had that N80 valve replaced, I'll have to check my records to confirm.

Skaala
November 24th, 2009, 15:44
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Main_Page

16825/P0441/001089 - EVAP Emission Control Sys: Incorrect Flow
Possible Symptoms
Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active
Possible Causes
Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Regulator Valve (N80) faulty/jammed
Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Solenoid Valve (N115) faulty/jammed
Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Sealing faulty
Pipes between Tank Breathing and Throttle Body leaky/blocked
Possible Solutions
Check Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Regulator Valve (N80)
Perform Output Test
Check Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Solenoid Valve (N115)
Check Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister
Perform Basic Setting
Check Pipes between Tank Breathing and Throttle Body

16727/P0343/000835 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Signal too High
Possible Symptoms
Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active
Possible Causes
Wiring from/to Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) faulty
Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) faulty
Timing misaligned
Possible Solutions
Check Wiring from/to Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
Check Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
Check Timing

4everRS
November 24th, 2009, 18:55
Ok, after filling up with a 91/100(about 70/30) octane mix, CEL is off. The car seems to idle smoother also. I think I may be able to feel a slight performace difference, although small, if any. The old gas that was in it was 91. I will continue to monitor. I would think that I would have thrown a knock sensor if the octane was too low.

4everRS
November 24th, 2009, 23:35
There I go bragging about a potential solution and I get in my car take off and a half mile down the road, the damn light comes on again. Checked it, same codes. Well, a new N80 valve now and a new t-belt kit in early Jan. should take care of it.

DHall1
November 24th, 2009, 23:45
Which car did you buy?

Pics?

4everRS
November 25th, 2009, 04:46
I'll post some Picts soon. Busy getting ready for inlaws to invade our home tomorrow. I should have some by the end of the weekend. I got the car from manheim in PA. Yes it went through the auction, but I did as much due diligence as I could. It is a one owner car. Service was done at fred baker audi from day 1. This is the dealership that also sold the car. Spoke with the service manager and the preowned manager and both had rave reviews about how well the previous owner took care of the car. Like many others, there was problems with the drc, which were resolved with the recent campain. It was 23.5k but with all the buying fees at that auction, being one of the larger auctions, it came in just shy of 24k.