PDA

View Full Version : Torque converter and Valve body at IPT for rebuild.

Innovator
November 17th, 2009, 15:24
Drove down to IPT in Wayne NJ yesterday from Albany NY. 2 hours each way, not too bad. They had an RS6 there, along with several RS6 transmissions, so I guess it was the right place to go.:rs6kiss:

I am hoping to pick it back up on Thursday, and have the car put back together late Friday. I will also have already installed my APR ECU and TCU chip.

I will post impressions on both.

MaxRS6
November 17th, 2009, 16:21
and shipped out yesterday :jlol: after a full rebuild and tc.

DHall1
November 17th, 2009, 16:26
You guys with the new trans and parts. Its like Christmas in November.

and shipped out yesterday :jlol: after a full rebuild and tc.

Innovator
November 17th, 2009, 18:28
God YES you have. I'll take my religion, guns, and money. You can keep your loose change and false hope.

Quick question, are you doing anything to your actual transmission, or just the TC and VB? I am assuming you didn't take the tranny, just the two parts. Thanks!
:incar:

Changing the fluid is all the trans will be getting...

dmross
November 18th, 2009, 04:33
I miss my car already. Hopefully we're all posting on here in a few weeks with relief and happiness from our new found RS6 enjoyment.

kingofnyc22
November 18th, 2009, 06:03
I dropped my car at 517trans for TC and valve body.
They will also replace all the seals.
Flush and refill the transmission.
There not much else you can do to the internals.
My car should be done next week so i can finaly go from 5 to 8lb of boost.

Amulet-S6
November 18th, 2009, 06:09
Please keep us posted on your tranny & TC upgrades. Hopeful eyes are watching...

Jim
<Republican>

Innovator
November 18th, 2009, 13:14
I was going to go there too, but IPT was closer and they have a solid reputation specializing in ZF transmissions.

kwtrev
November 18th, 2009, 21:57

I was told by the local Audi tech 12 lbs of boost is normal. I make 10 (measured with VAGCOM), okay I guess. How's everyone else doing? Is 2 lbs of boost going to make any real difference?

kingofnyc22
November 19th, 2009, 03:12
I was told by the local Audi tech 12 lbs of boost is normal. I make 10 (measured with VAGCOM), okay I guess. How's everyone else doing? Is 2 lbs of boost going to make any real difference?

How did you check with the vagcom. There is no chanel in the ecu to monitor the boost. I have a supercharger in my S6. And yes 3lb of boost will make more power through out the rpm.

Why people keep going off topic. Make a new thread.

RS6-4dr911
November 19th, 2009, 03:14
How did you check with the vagcom. There is no chanel in the ecu to monitor the boost. I have a supercharger in my S6. And yes 3lb of boost will make more power through out the rpm.

Well, probably not on yours, it didn't have boost to begin with. There most definitely is one on factory turbo cars. And I would agree,even 2 lbs should make a noticeable difference.

V8weight
November 19th, 2009, 03:33
I guess I'm kind of enjoying the off topic discussion, there has been entirely too much babble about valve bodies and torque converters going on lately:hihi:

p3u
November 19th, 2009, 04:12
Cripes! Everyone get a room! This is called RS6.com after all :rs6kiss:

bfly
November 19th, 2009, 14:57
I'm with p3u, there is a forum for non-car related stuff: http://rs6.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6 It doesn't matter how long you have been on the forum. Proper forum etiquette is proper forum etiquette. I was reading this thread to see how the ITP rebuild goes, not opinions on politics.

Whew, glad I got that off my chest. :-P You may now return to your political discussion.

Innovator
November 19th, 2009, 15:38
My TC and VB are done. I will be picking them up today. Less than three days...not to shabby!

Erik
November 20th, 2009, 16:19
OK, I don't have time to clean this one up right now.

It's friday evening and I'm quite busy. So I'm closing the thread until I or another moderator have time to clean it up.

Please keep politics, religion etc. on other forums.

Have a nice weekend!

Benman
November 20th, 2009, 19:16
Sorry to everyone I had to delete. I basically did all post OT.

The RP ones were especially painfull to delete but we must respect this is Eric's property and he IS at Liberty to enforce HIS rules. This is HIS Household. :cheers:

Ben:addict:

Benman
November 20th, 2009, 19:17
Thread is Now REopened...

Please keep it ON topic. Thank you. :D

Erik
November 23rd, 2009, 13:57
Thanks Benman.

Don't be afraid, please feel free to catch on where the topic was lost :)

Innovator
November 23rd, 2009, 16:19
And now, nobody has anything to add :-)

dmross
November 23rd, 2009, 19:12
Innovator - No first hand experience yet? Are the parts getting installed?

I pick my car up Sunday and then I have a nice 5 hour drive back home... on the PA turnpike - UGH. At least I remembered to pack my V1.

DHall1
November 23rd, 2009, 19:13
Yeah the smack down will do it every time.

How is the car? Feedback yet?

Innovator
November 23rd, 2009, 20:23
Innovator - No first hand experience yet? Are the parts getting installed?

I pick my car up Sunday and then I have a nice 5 hour drive back home... on the PA turnpike - UGH. At least I remembered to pack my V1.
I've had it done since Friday. The tranny is not 100%....:vgrumpy:

LIRS6
November 23rd, 2009, 22:49

Ugh - sorry to hear. What's going on?

Benman
November 23rd, 2009, 23:51

OMG!!! VERY sorry to hear!!!

p3u
November 24th, 2009, 00:31

Sorry to hear that, what is going on with it now?

Maybe the clutch packs are work out?

Innovator
November 24th, 2009, 13:23
Sorry to hear that, what is going on with it now?

Maybe the clutch packs are work out?

Yea, that would be it.. It whines a little in first gear, and seems to slip a little from first to second when you wind it out.

It's gonna have to stay in stock mode until I get a new trans.:vgrumpy:Also, the DRC isn't right. The recall was just done in September, but the rear seems bouncey and it bangs a little over bumps.

Overall, I did not get a very good deal on this car. By the time I'm done fixing it up, I'll have another 8K in it...

dmross
November 24th, 2009, 18:03
So is your problem with the newly rebuilt TQ converter? I thought new clutch packs were part of the TQ converter rebuild?

Innovator
November 24th, 2009, 19:19
So is your problem with the newly rebuilt TQ converter? I thought new clutch packs were part of the TQ converter rebuild?
No, the transmission is at fault, not the TC.

ben916
November 24th, 2009, 19:22
Sorry to everyone I had to delete. I basically did all post OT.

The RP ones were especially painfull to delete but we must respect this is Eric's property and he IS at Liberty to enforce HIS rules. This is HIS Household. :cheers:

I missed it... probably for the better :)

TozoM8
November 24th, 2009, 23:27
If it whines then the TC is bad. The impeller is binding in it. Did you replace the fluid/filter?

Innovator
November 25th, 2009, 04:43
If it whines then the TC is bad. The impeller is binding in it. Did you replace the fluid/filter?

Yes. 10 liters of fluid and a new filter.

It wasn't whining before I installed the new converter. Hmm... Why do you think its the converter? It seems to get better as it warms up....

TozoM8
November 25th, 2009, 04:56
The A/S8 needs 11L and the RS6 have bigger TC. I put almost 12L in p3u's tranny. One more thing could cause the whine. If the filter pickup pipe is too long. Audi changed the pan design in 99'-00'. the newer pans are 12mm shallower. If your supplier gave you and old design filter, the pipe is only 2mm from the bottom. i always cut off 12-14mm of the pipe. If you have a small dent on the pan the heat will pop it in even more. you can see the shadow of th debris ring on the bottom of the pan, the pipe was very close.
http://audipages.com/tozo/DSC03676.JPG

DHall1
November 25th, 2009, 05:22
Rick,

Did you recheck the fluid level?

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/auto_transmission/autotranservicing.html

Innovator
November 25th, 2009, 05:28
The A/S8 needs 11L and the RS6 have bigger TC. I put almost 12L in p3u's tranny. One more thing could cause the whine. If the filter pickup pipe is too long. Audi changed the pan design in 99'-00'. the newer pans are 12mm shallower. If your supplier gave you and old design filter, the pipe is only 2mm from the bottom. i always cut off 12-14mm of the pipe. If you have a small dent on the pan the heat will pop it in even more. you can see the shadow of th debris ring on the bottom of the pan, the pipe was very close.
http://audipages.com/tozo/DSC03676.JPG
No, we hooked the VAG to it and made sure it starts dripping at 30C.. Maybe the filter they gave me is wrong. Either way, it whines and the traction control light blinks if I give it any kind of pedal. It was shifting perfectly when I got it, aside from the lockup malfunction.

Rhino315
October 25th, 2010, 20:21
How it's been since you put APR ECU/TCU upgrades? I did mine two months ago also with diverter valves and APR exhaust and last but not least I had installed a turbo gage in my steering column, besides, now I am starting to deal with the TC issue. I thing I will go with ACE Converters since they told me you don't have to send yours, they built one from scratch for you in about 4 to 5 days. What do you think about that also, any suggestions? By the way, I am the guy that is paraplegic and I have special hand controls in my Rhino beast.

JSRS6
October 25th, 2010, 22:43
How it's been since you put APR ECU/TCU upgrades? I did mine two months ago also with diverter valves and APR exhaust and last but not least I had installed a turbo gage in my steering column, besides, now I am starting to deal with the TC issue. I thing I will go with ACE Converters since they told me you don't have to send yours, they built one from scratch for you in about 4 to 5 days. What do you think about that also, any suggestions? By the way, I am the guy that is paraplegic and I have special hand controls in my Rhino beast.

Hey rhino,
Any way we could have a gander? I'm very interested in that. And sorry in advance if I offended ya;-)

DHall1
October 26th, 2010, 00:25
I remember your thread on the TC. How did that come out? You going over to tozo?

CornersWell
October 26th, 2010, 00:29
FYI, my TC has been out now for over 2 weeks. It was sent out for re-build (IPT, IIRC), and I got some song and dance about how they were moving to a new shop, so it was delayed. Then, they sent the wrong gasket. STILL nothing from the shop!

See what I'm talking about with this RS6?!

DHall...check your email. Bad news...

CW

DHall1
October 26th, 2010, 00:32
CW,

IPT is not the best company. There are owners on the forum that literally spit nails when you mention IPT.

Not the RS6 fault. Should have gone with a brand new Audi TC.

Yes, that does suck....I'm sorry and we need to have a beer the next time I go thru Vail.

FYI, my TC has been out now for over 2 weeks. It was sent out for re-build (IPT, IIRC), and I got some song and dance about how they were moving to a new shop, so it was delayed. Then, they sent the wrong gasket. STILL nothing from the shop!

See what I'm talking about with this RS6?!

DHall...check your email. Bad news...

CW

MaxRS6
October 26th, 2010, 01:52
Ty's (IPT rep) word is not worth much. He sent various emails to me about the status of my rebuild that were not based in fact. With that said- the tranny rebuild is still holding up with approx 20K miles on it. If you are dealing with him, I wish you luck.

Hmmm- I did a search and know I've posted some comments about IPT previously. However; those previous posts are not showing up in my queries???

marklar182
October 26th, 2010, 02:55
IPT has a bad rep on other sites as well. IPT and Level 10 both are pretty iffy.

Had anyone ever contacted Precision Industries for TC's? I have their TC in my 300ZX and have had no issues, even sent it back in for a triple lock up clutch upgrade and stall change not long ago.

http://www.converter.com

DHall1
October 26th, 2010, 04:11
dmross(sp) sent his car over to IPT. I remember him saying it was a complete cluster f... of a situation.

Ty's (IPT rep) word is not worth much. He sent various emails to me about the status of my rebuild that were not based in fact. With that said- the tranny rebuild is still holding up with approx 20K miles on it. If you are dealing with him, I wish you luck.

Hmmm- I did a search and know I've posted some comments about IPT previously. However; those previous posts are not showing up in my queries???

CornersWell
October 26th, 2010, 12:20
I felt alright doing it because NGP Racing has worked with them previously. But, obviously, this is going nowhere. I've been polite, but I'll be dropping by the shop soon. Had other things on my plate to deal with. However, this is getting absurd. So far, 15 calendar days at the shop...

CW

speedtrapped
October 26th, 2010, 17:06
Jeez, that is awful. Isnt there another shop up there called 517 trans? I know nothing of reputation, other then reading a very long thread about IPT and Level10 on AZ. Why not call and ask for them to stop work, call 517 before hand, explain it and ask if they can take over?

CornersWell
October 26th, 2010, 17:46
Stopped by the shop, and everything is buttoned up. They were doing testing yesterday and this morning and tweaking. So, THANKFULLY, we're nearing the end of this fiasco. That said, no explanations were offered. I'm expecting an apology for the delay AND an explanation when I go to pick it up.

CW

MaxRS6
October 27th, 2010, 00:26
Tell em Maxwell sent you and I'm sure they will provide a premium billing (in lieu of a discount)...LOL

Actually- if you would- kick Ty in the chestnuts and tell him Merry Christmas from his Arkansas friend..;0

DHall1
October 27th, 2010, 02:34
Like I said. Mention IPT and a few members start spitting bullets.

;-)

CornersWell
October 28th, 2010, 17:42
Well, on the 17th calendar day after dropping it off, the RS6 is back. FINALLY!

So far as I can tell, everything's working properly.

Nice to have it back. Now I have to deal with the lovely door ding some Ahole put in my rear passenger door. Big one, too. And, the Avus color's gonna be a b*tch to work with...

Hoping to review some security camera footage soon. If we can identify the fncker, I'll be contacting them through the local PD.

CW

MaxRS6
October 28th, 2010, 17:44
Congrats on having it back!- and rats about the a$$hole dinger

JSRS6
October 28th, 2010, 18:34
Git that sumbitch!