PDA

View Full Version : Audi club needs drivers at Daytona; 1-day registration offered for Dec 4-6

JAXRS6
November 17th, 2009, 01:11
The recession may be over technically, but high performance driver's ed is in the doldrums. The silver lining: Since drivers are needed at the Audi club's Dec 4-6 event at Daytona, FL, single day registration is now available for the first time @ $500 USD. Regular three-day registration remains at $1199 USD.

As I wrote here a while back, my RS 6 experience at Daytona in 2007 was exceptional, summarized then as the most fun I've had with my clothes on! Daytona's heavily banked tri-oval allowed "cruising" at 130-140 mph in the RS 6 I've since sold, and an infield course kept it from being too NASCAR-like. Some RS 6s went faster. Daytona allows a big powerful sedan to stretch its legs.

This is an HPDE, not racing, sponsored by the Ohio chapter. For more info go to the link below, which is useful for driving event info anyway. Joining the free web site is easy. Then choose "Audi club" in the drop-down at left, "Ohio chapter" in the middle, and once at the Daytona event you'll see a separate link for the roster (currently showing two RS 6s and two RS 4s). If you want to take advantage of the single day offer, you'll need to email Dave P. at the address shown, so he can arrange for a special application form. Please let him know soon because pairing students with drivers gets more complex with a one-day format.
:incar::incar:
www.clubregistration.net

mmaturo
November 17th, 2009, 04:38
The recession may be over technically, but high performance driver's ed is in the doldrums. The silver lining: Since drivers are needed at the Audi club's Dec 4-6 event at Daytona, FL, single day registration is now available for the first time @ $500 USD. Regular three-day registration remains at $1199 USD.

As I wrote here a while back, my RS 6 experience at Daytona in 2007 was exceptional, summarized then as the most fun I've had with my clothes on! Daytona's heavily banked tri-oval allowed "cruising" at 130-140 mph in the RS 6 I've since sold, and an infield course kept it from being too NASCAR-like. Some RS 6s went faster. Daytona allows a big powerful sedan to stretch its legs.

This is an HPDE, not racing, sponsored by the Ohio chapter. For more info go to the link below, which is useful for driving event info anyway. Joining the free web site is easy. Then choose "Audi club" in the drop-down at left, "Ohio chapter" in the middle, and once at the Daytona event you'll see a separate link for the roster (currently showing two RS 6s and two RS 4s). If you want to take advantage of the single day offer, you'll need to email Dave P. at the address shown, so he can arrange for a special application form. Please let him know soon because pairing students with drivers gets more complex with a one-day format.
:incar::incar:
www.clubregistration.net

damn...i so just need a little bit of extra cash...and vacation. I will be down in Florida with my RS6 for thanksgiving...if only i could sit around for the week and make it over to Daytona for the next weekend...and $$ my timing belt service, fresh oil, new tires, pads, rotors...ohhh nevermind.

V8weight
November 17th, 2009, 04:42
damn...i so just need a little bit of extra cash...and vacation. I will be down in Florida with my RS6 for thanksgiving...if only i could sit around for the week and make it over to Daytona for the next weekend...and $$ my timing belt service, fresh oil, new tires, pads, rotors...ohhh nevermind.
Just swing over to MN afterwards and we'll have a timing belt party:mech: I'm almost due myself, but I'm doing my own.

mmaturo
November 17th, 2009, 04:52
Don't temp me...it would be worth the drive up to save the $$. Although i do have an independent shop from earlier this year that quoted $1600. I'm going to remind them of that soon as dealer is $1000 more.

DHall1
November 17th, 2009, 05:47
Pat,

Take a winter vacation and come down to AZ. We can do several of these in perfect weather. 75 and sunny all week. Golf on Friday and mountain biking this weekend.

Just swing over to MN afterwards and we'll have a timing belt party:mech: I'm almost due myself, but I'm doing my own.

V8weight
November 17th, 2009, 14:27
Pat,

Take a winter vacation and come down to AZ. We can do several of these in perfect weather. 75 and sunny all week. Golf on Friday and mountain biking this weekend.
Hmmm, sounds like a plan, go aquire a pallet of beer and I'll gather up my tools.:mech::cheers:

RXBG
November 17th, 2009, 16:43
wait a sec. that much money to drive in an oval all day? sebring is $300 a day. kind of silly.

JAXRS6
November 17th, 2009, 17:25
wait a sec. that much money to drive in an oval all day? sebring is $300 a day. kind of silly.

Daytona is not for everyone. For those who enjoy flat twisties more than speed, Sebring may be better.

But for larger sedans seeking sustained high speeds, so you don't have to back off when you get there, Daytona is hard to beat. I've been to Sebring and while it has a couple of nice straights, the bumps are more jarring where concrete seams don't meet properly. Not surprising for an old airport runway. The surface on Daytona's asphalt tri-oval is lumpy but not jarring.

Plus it's not just the tri-oval. There's an infield course as well, per the Rolex series, and a chicane or "bus stop" -- two departures from the tri-oval every lap.
http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/Seating-Maps/Area-Map.aspx

I may consider Sebring for a later event, so I'm not saying it's bad. But it isn't banked to allow the extended high speeds of Daytona, and its pavement is pretty rough in places. My sedan is my daily driver so I don't want to beat it up too much.