PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice Audi A6 2.7T

Georgious86
November 16th, 2009, 19:48
As i have had never Audis with turbo engines i must to know and need advice,I'm searching for 03 or 04 A6 with 2.7 T engine with not more than 80 000km. I was told here in my country by several autotrader company representatives not to buy Turbo engine. at first .. I always must cool turbos in P mode after driving for at least 1 minute what is impossible to do always,2) turbos are very capricious, and General the last problem i was told is that turbos resource is 100 000km, i don't believe in it,coz Audi,Porsche, such great Auto builders wouldn't produce unseccessful products forseen for only 100 000km. can you please advice me something,where is Audi reality???

hahnmgh63
November 16th, 2009, 20:18
The Audi turbo engines are very reliable. One mistake many owners will do is to skimp on the quality of the oil. Use the very best synthetic oil you can and the engine will last much longer. As you mentioned, letting the engine idle after driving can be a help but isn't as necessary today as before as their is a small electric water pump which will pump cooling water through the Turbos after shutdown. If the drive was very aggressive then it wouldn't hurt to let it idle for a minute or two before shutting it down. A well taken care of 2.7t should easily be able to do 200000K.

shoeboxjoe
November 16th, 2009, 20:26
I've owned, maintained and modified turbo charging systems for 10 years (as a hobby mind you) and those are all common rumors.

Most turbos are liquid cooled now and do not require idling the engine to allow them to cool. With air cooled turbos, oil coking is a problem and most would recommend a turbo timer for that application. Turbo timers are also a popular gadget with the japanese tuner crowd and in most cases it's a waste of money since their turbos are mostly liquid cooled.

I recently sold my 2001 A6 2.7T, it had 105k miles and I never had a problem with the engine.

Previously i had a 1989 Merkur XR4Ti which came with a factory turbocharged ford 2.3l engine (Pinto engine). It was fairly heavily modified to 300rwhp. I drove it from Wisconsin to Carlisle PA for the All Ford Nationals 6 years in a row and never had a problem related to the turbo charger (that I didn't cause myself anyways).

I suspect the majority of the above rumors come from people bolting an air cooled turbo onto a normally aspirated engine that wasn't capable of handling the added compression, you see this a lot with the younger tuner crowd.

also some food for thought, most of your semi tractors are turbo diesels with 500k miles or more on them.

ZCD2.7T
November 17th, 2009, 02:23
I'm searching for 03 or 04 A6 with 2.7 T engine with not more than 80 000km. I was told here in my country by several autotrader company representatives not to buy Turbo engine. can you please advice me something,where is Audi reality???

I don't know which country you live in, but it's interesting to know that car salespeople in your country LIE as much as many car salespeople in the US!!! ;-)

I now drive our family's 3rd A6 2.7T ('04 "S-line"), and it has covered 111,000 miles, or 178,000+ KM to date, with no issues with the turbos at all. Neither of the previous 2 vehicles had turbo problems, either.

US market 2.7Ts are known for:

-leaking camshaft adjuster seals
-failing secondary air-injection pumps

However, after model year 2001, there have been few turbo issues reported, even on cars that have been modified.

As has been mentioned, run ONLY synthetic oil, and let the car idle for a couple of minutes ONLY when the engine is extremely hot, such as after on-track driving, or an extended 160kph+ Autobahn run.

Great engine - LOTS of torque, and a wonderful, accessible powerband. Good luck with your search.

SIKAudi
November 17th, 2009, 19:18
On 80s and early 90s turbos this was mostly true. the oil lines for the turbos were too small, in-line with the turbos and synthetics were not used nor were oil and transmission coolers. Turbos today are much better designed (bearing wise) and the oils are better. Most turbos today are very reliable.

As far as cooling the car down. You should do that to any car if you have been driving it hard right before shutting it down. Taking it easy a couple of blocks before you get to your destination is always a good idea anyway. Not just for the turbos but have you considered your brakes.

RS6-4dr911
November 17th, 2009, 22:44
I don't know which country you live in, but it's interesting to know that car salespeople in your country LIE as much as many car salespeople in the US!!! ;-)

Ignorance, stupidity and poor character are unfortunately international, cross-cultural and much too common traits in the human condition.