PDA

View Full Version : Is 30,000 miles worth 5 grand?

Innovator
November 11th, 2009, 15:22
Guys, I have a deposit on a Daytona Gray RS6 with 72K on the clock. $23,000 even, but it does need tires. I plan on doing the TB myself, as I work on Audis at my shop.

Thing is, I found another car nearby with 44K in black with a white interior and CF trim. He wants around 28,000. Is it worth the extra 5 grand to buy a car with 30K less miles?

I hate these choices!

DHall1
November 11th, 2009, 15:52
Yes

IMHO 100% yes

That is not to say 23k is not a bad deal for the car your looking at if in good cond. Just have $$ set aside for potentials. Trans being first.

Guys, I have a deposit on a Daytona Gray RS6 with 72K on the clock. $23,000 even, but it does need tires. I plan on doing the TB myself, as I work on Audis at my shop.

Thing is, I found another car nearby with 44K in black with a white interior and CF trim. He wants around 28,000. Is it worth the extra 5 grand to buy a car with 30K less miles?

I hate these choices!

shoeboxjoe
November 11th, 2009, 15:53
Would that gray one you're looking at perhaps be in Brookfield WI? and the other be in Minneapolis? I'm in the same situation as you but I don't have any money down on one yet.

Innovator
November 11th, 2009, 16:06
Yes

IMHO 100% yes

That is not to say 23k is not a bad deal for the car your looking at if in good cond. Just have $$ set aside for potentials. Trans being first.

What does a rebuilt trans usually go for? I can handle all labor..

Aside from that, wouldn't you agree that miles are subjective to how they were derived? I mean, say 40K hard miles in the city stop and go, versus 72 highway miles driven by a woman....

Innovator
November 11th, 2009, 16:06
Would that gray one you're looking at perhaps be in Brookfield WI? and the other be in Minneapolis? I'm in the same situation as you but I don't have any money down on one yet.
No. I am in NY.

Yellow RS6
November 11th, 2009, 16:08
I guess you're passing on the yellow? I never heard back from you.

Innovator
November 11th, 2009, 16:12
I guess you're passing on the yellow? I never heard back from you.

Between the drive and the uncertainty about liking the color, I'm afraid so.

While the yellow is rare and nice to look at, I don't know if I'd want the attention it would surely demand.

MaxRS6
November 11th, 2009, 16:17
All things being equal IMHO- Yes- Extended warranty options may also be better.

Obviously, it would also depend upon the condition and how maintained by the previous owners- i.e the higher mileage one may actually be in better condition than the lower mileage one. Your skill sets provide you the luxury of making this comparison yourself.

My tranny is currently at IPT being rebuilt. Torque converter and rebuild is approx $5k.

Good luck with the hunt!

Innovator
November 11th, 2009, 16:41

Obviously, it would also depend upon the condition and how maintained by the previous owners- i.e the higher mileage one may actually be in better condition than the lower mileage one. Your skill sets provide you the luxury of making this comparison yourself.

My tranny is currently at IPT being rebuilt. Torque converter and rebuild is approx $5k.

Good luck with the hunt!

My logic is with the 5k, I can buy the extended warranty, new tires, and do the timing belt.

mmaturo
November 11th, 2009, 17:06
My logic is with the 5k, I can buy the extended warranty, new tires, and do the timing belt.

I agree with you. And since you can work on it yourself a lot of the simple stuff will not be as bad for you. As i am sitting with a higher mileage car now at 78K it is in excellent condition and has nearly all new parts. Not much left to wear out or break and regardless major failures on this car seem to occur independent of mileage or abuse (trans and torque converter can go at anytime and have in cars with 11K on them to mine at 30K and 70K). I would save the $$ and buy the cleanest car. For instance if the lower mileage car has not had them go yet all of its control arms, links, stabilizer bar are about to go (this car eats bushings), boots will go, timing belt still an issue due to time depending on when first belt change was done...on and on.

If you buy the one for 28K you will still get the depreciation hit once you buy it and drive it. These cars otherwise i think are finally hitting the bottom around 20 to 23 regardless of mileage as its still top notch over an S4 in the mid teens.

DHall1
November 11th, 2009, 17:21
If the Bla/whi 44k car is the one on ebay.....that car looks fantastic.

If your 72k car is that clean then its a toss up.

Its your call but how long will it take to hit 100k in your driving habits? 72k will get there much faster.

good luck

I hate these choices!

Innovator
November 11th, 2009, 17:24
If the Bla/whi 44k car is the one on ebay.....that car looks fantastic.

If your 72k car is that clean then its a toss up.

Its your call but how long will it take to hit 100k in your driving habits? 72k will get there much faster.

good luck

Well, probably 10K a year for me. The warranty I sell covers the car for 4 years, unlimited miles, up to 3000 dollars per occurrence, up to the value of the car at the time of purchase. The warranty cost me under 2k

bruce
November 11th, 2009, 17:30
That's 17 cents a mile for depreciation which based on your 10000 per year costs you $1,700 for three years. At the end of three years you now have the same car as the other one you are looking at. Depends how long you want to drive this car.....

Benman
November 11th, 2009, 17:49

+1, I'm with Dhall on this one.

Ben:addict:

Texas RS6
November 11th, 2009, 18:00
Just for fun. The $5k you have to spend on the 72K mile car won't make it have 44K after the money is spent.

The lower mile car will still have a higher resale value.

DHall1
November 11th, 2009, 18:05
To compare

If you buy the 44k car. (Black one on ebay has never been driven in the snow/salt which is rare for a east coast car) That fact alone will put me in the 44k car every day of the week.

You could buy a Audi/Fidelity plan 4/48 for 3200. Have no limit on repairs, fully transferable and fully refundable at any time.

Trans cost 5k for parts....off top of my head.

Well, probably 10K a year for me. The warranty I sell covers the car for 4 years, unlimited miles, up to 3000 dollars per occurrence, up to the value of the car at the time of purchase. The warranty cost me under 2k

Innovator
November 12th, 2009, 04:53
Just for fun. The $5k you have to spend on the 72K mile car won't make it have 44K after the money is spent.

The lower mile car will still have a higher resale value.

Well, I went and looked at the 44K Ebony Pearl with Silver leather and CF trim. I's pretty damn clean. The owner said he had a couple of minor accidents that he didn't report. One he hit a parking stop in a parking lot, and the other when he backed up into a pole. Both were fixed at the dealer. In fact, he had the techs cell phone # that has worked on the car since new. He seemed pretty confident that the car was pristine.

The owner just had the 35K done, and just had the front rotors and pads, and rear pads, done as well as the DRC recall in August. It does need front tires, but my new snows are going on soon.

I pick it up tomorrow evening. Wish me luck.:addict:

Texas RS6
November 12th, 2009, 14:07
Good choice. I think for the money bought the right car.

I am a Corvette mechanic by hobby. I think I will need to learn Audi now. :addict:

portos
November 12th, 2009, 14:53
To compare

If you buy the 44k car. (Black one on ebay has never been driven in the snow/salt which is rare for a east coast car) That fact alone will put me in the 44k car every day of the week.

If I may ask, what is the problem of driving in snow/salt? Mine has had "salt baths" now for 4 years, no rost and the paint is not faded. The only problem is the Swedish idiocy of sometimes laying out gravel on a 50mph road. Usually means 1 windshield per winter... :( And some marks on the front in the paint.

So in my view the salt/snow is not a problem, its the other particles that fly there amidst. And those we have no matter where...

Innovator
November 12th, 2009, 18:29
Salt is corrosive and it causes aluminum to seize to steel,steel to rust, and overall is very bad for the cars paint and underbody. Therefore, even though it does not seem to have any badd effects on the surface, it surely will cause the car to have issues associated with corrosion underneath.

Additionally, the sand and gravel used in the USA chipped the hell out of the cars bumper, hood and behind the fender wells.A car that is not driven in the winter typically will be in better physical condition than one that is.

ben916
November 12th, 2009, 19:08
Salt is corrosive and it causes aluminum to seize to steel,steel to rust, and overall is very bad for the cars paint and underbody. Therefore, even though it does not seem to have any badd effects on the surface, it surely will cause the car to have issues associated with corrosion underneath.

Additionally, the sand and gravel used in the USA chipped the hell out of the cars bumper, hood and behind the fender wells.A car that is not driven in the winter typically will be in better physical condition than one that is.

ALSO.... search for the intercooler DIY so you too can see the lovely photos.

DHall1
November 12th, 2009, 22:04
Audi does a very good job of properly coating all panels of the vehicle top and bottom. However, salt and the corrosive nature of the chemical against metal will always be at work in every corner of the car. Nuts, bolts, exhaust, underbody, brackets, brake pins and any chips in the paint will start to break thru the paint and get under the paint.

Again, Audi does a good job at coating the vehicle. I dont live or drive in a salt climate and thus if given the choice of salt history or not.....I will always choose not.

pics of my 6yr old undercarriage

If I may ask, what is the problem of driving in snow/salt? Mine has had "salt baths" now for 4 years, no rost and the paint is not faded. The only problem is the Swedish idiocy of sometimes laying out gravel on a 50mph road. Usually means 1 windshield per winter... :( And some marks on the front in the paint.

So in my view the salt/snow is not a problem, its the other particles that fly there amidst. And those we have no matter where...

Innovator
November 13th, 2009, 06:14
Soo,

Just picked up the car tonight, and on the way home, the CEL came on. Checked it with my VAG, and it's a 17125 torque converter code.

I gotta think this guy knew about it and reset the ecu before I picked it up.

I guess this answers my original question.:vgrumpy:

Texas RS6
November 13th, 2009, 14:06
I am sorry to hear that. I just had my torque converter replaced because of that code. I am glad my warranty was still in place. I am sure that is expensive. Fortunately you have your own shop and can take care of the labor.

The light in my car would go out and come back on based on drive cycles. They tride to get by replacing some valve first, not luck. It came back after a few days. :mech:

portos
November 13th, 2009, 15:09

OK. Having seen those, I can understand what you are saying. Those look like brand new parts. Have you ever even driven that on a gravel road and/or on a rainy day? :)

Mine had the first frost on it today. Love the winter, but owning the RS is a bit scary, since one is not allowed to install a additional engine heater... :doh:

But I am getting off topic here, so signing out now!

RS6-4dr911
November 13th, 2009, 15:52
. . .

You need help or a real job. And yes, I'm just jealous.

DHall1
November 14th, 2009, 16:28
Uhhh, no gravel roads in this life.

All you need is a weekend and some elbow grease. My car has 30k on it but always in a dry climate. It was very easy to clean the underside. Then its once a year to keep it up....not too bad.

My wifes E55AMG has 60k on it and looks just as good. Again its from a dry climate with warm temps. The coatings and materials that Audi and Benz use are top quality. It only takes a weekend to shine up the underside.

Happy cleaning.

OK. Having seen those, I can understand what you are saying. Those look like brand new parts. Have you ever even driven that on a gravel road and/or on a rainy day? :)

Mine had the first frost on it today. Love the winter, but owning the RS is a bit scary, since one is not allowed to install a additional engine heater... :doh:

But I am getting off topic here, so signing out now!