PDA

View Full Version : How is demand for the R8 V10?

Bluehinder
November 10th, 2009, 18:37
Hi,

While my dealer says the V10 is in short supply, Autotrader lists 32 V10's in stock and on the ground for sale around the US.

Has demand really dropped off for the V10? Any thoughts why?

How do you guys see future value on the R8 V10?

RXBG
November 10th, 2009, 18:55
half the cars on autotrader are fakes- dealers put them on there so people will call and ask about them in order to try and capture more orders. audi seems to be allocating cars according to wait list length.

that being said, the other half are really there and unspoken for. dealers will never admit it but demand is not great for such expensive cars right now- regardless of make- unless it is a brand new model that is in demand simply because it is the latest and greatest.

in the next year supply will really back up. i think audi will come out with a trade-in program for V8 owners. at least they should. 90% of them would be interested in this if the trade-in price of the current car was fair and not BS like most greedy dealers would have you believe.

my local dealer told a guy to offer me 85K for mine when they (dealer) just bought a similar one back from a recent divorcee for 100K and resold it for 115K. amazing how stupid dealers think we are.

Bluehinder
November 10th, 2009, 19:02
I think you're right. Dealers do seem to be gouging regular R8 V8 owners on trades. I've heard of other dealers offering $85-90K for cars, yet I see them on Autotrader for $119K on average. In fact, on Autotrader, of 33 V8's, only two are listed at 99,995, all the rest are on average $110-130K.

RXBG
November 10th, 2009, 19:32
I think you're right. Dealers do seem to be gouging regular R8 V8 owners on trades. I've heard of other dealers offering $85-90K for cars, yet I see them on Autotrader for $119K on average. In fact, on Autotrader, of 33 V8's, only two are listed at 99,995, all the rest are on average $110-130K.

i had one dealer from an adjoining state offer to actually give me 105K for my car- a reasonable offer- he'd still make 5-7K on it- while simultaneously selling me a V10 that had been sitting on his floor for 6 weeks for a bit less than MSRP (still making 5K on that car). all in all he'd still made 10K. i didn't go for it because the car he had was black on black.

never underestimate a dealer's greed AND ignorance of your knowledge.

on another note- we wanted a 2010 RR sport supercharged to replace the 2008 we had. the new car has some amazing improvements. local dealer treated me like shit when i asked him to search around for the spec i wanted and sell it to me for less than msrp. so i found a neighboring dealer who actually wanted to work and eventually found me the car i wanted. even drove it out to us. got a great deal. 3 weeks later the local dealer calls me to tell me the car i'd wanted magically showed up at his store. he couldn't believe i already had the car i wanted. hubris is a bitch. can't wait to see him when we take it in for service.

KresoF1
November 11th, 2009, 07:06
In Europe situation is different. Just in Germany over 45 R8 V10 are sitting in dealers showrooms waiting for buyers.

Waiting list is much shorter then 2 years ago(for R8 V8). My Audi dealer said 3 months.

In USA situation may be different. R8 V10 is selling pretty slowly in Europe currently.

RXBG
November 11th, 2009, 14:42
In Europe situation is different. Just in Germany over 45 R8 V10 are sitting in dealers showrooms waiting for buyers.

Waiting list is much shorter then 2 years ago(for R8 V8). My Audi dealer said 3 months.

In USA situation may be different. R8 V10 is selling pretty slowly in Europe currently.

you probably misunderstood my postings. the V10 is not selling that well over here. i have three dealers locally who have build slots for a car if i want one in the next 6 months.

Bluehinder
November 11th, 2009, 18:30
My local dealer has two in the showroom.

RXBG
November 11th, 2009, 23:53
Blue- how is it going with the V10? did you have a V8 before? how does it compare?

streetrod454
November 12th, 2009, 19:25
As I said on another thread car buying trends in the US and the UK are different.

The new car buying culture in the US and the UK are very different. In the UK we rarely buy a new car off the showroom floor. We nearly always spec the car to our own requirements and then wait for 6 months for it to be built.

In the US I have found that most buyers don’t have that much patience and will go looking for a car they can drive off the lot which is why you see a lot of pre ordered cars in US showrooms. The problem with this I find is that nearly all the cars have a very similar spec and are "Safe" colours.

Also your dealers tend to be a hell of a lot bigger than ours back in the UK. Dealers here just do not have the space to hold large unsold stock. Also financially it would be suicide.

I am spending nearly £118,000 on my V10 because I have ticked nearly all the options boxes. Also I am making great use of the "Exclusive" options. If I am spending this amount of money I want it to be mine, not like anyone else’s.

One last point very few dealers have unsold cars at the moment because they dont pre-order here

RXBG
November 13th, 2009, 02:05
streedrod. good observations, but it when it comes to cars like the R8 95% are preordered. the problem in the US is that most of the first ordering customers are either speculators or wanna bes that are aggressive enoguh to get their name in early, but don't have the bank accounts to match their intents. as a result many are unspoken for. there are a handful of cars that were "leases" turned in at 150 miles for one stupid reason or another- these cars are being sold as "used" on consignment. what a bunch of bullsh*t eh?