PDA

View Full Version : Recaro C5 RS6 seats on eBay

DonS
November 9th, 2009, 15:09
I just bumped into some Recaro seats on eBay - location: Japan\Hong Kong (they must have two locations).

02-04 Audi C5 RS6 Quattro Recaro Front Seats w/ Airbags
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-04-Audi-C5-RS6-Quattro-Recaro-Front-Seats-w-Airbags_W0QQitemZ350276786161QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMo tors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item518e1f97 f1

Rear seats to:
02-04 Audi C5 RS6 Quattro Recaro Rear Seats w/ Airbags
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-04-Audi-C5-RS6-Quattro-Recaro-Rear-Seats-w-Airbags_W0QQitemZ390116220848QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMo tors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5ad4bd1f b0

The photos and the ad look professional. Shipping is expensive...

ben916
November 9th, 2009, 17:06
I just bumped into some Recaro seats on eBay - location: Japan\Hong Kong (they must have two locations).

02-04 Audi C5 RS6 Quattro Recaro Front Seats w/ Airbags
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-04-Audi-C5-RS6-Quattro-Recaro-Front-Seats-w-Airbags_W0QQitemZ350276786161QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMo tors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item518e1f97 f1

Rear seats to:
02-04 Audi C5 RS6 Quattro Recaro Rear Seats w/ Airbags
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-04-Audi-C5-RS6-Quattro-Recaro-Rear-Seats-w-Airbags_W0QQitemZ390116220848QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMo tors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5ad4bd1f b0

The photos and the ad look professional. Shipping is expensive...

and in three/four boxes....

DuckWingDuck
November 9th, 2009, 19:55
friggin' fedex air, of course! But I am curious how they get around the airbag issue....

ben916
November 9th, 2009, 20:17
friggin' fedex air, of course! But I am curious how they get around the airbag issue....

denial is not a river in Egypt...

DonS
November 9th, 2009, 21:03
One could try uShip for an estimate. There's bound to be someone with space in a container that could get to the West Coast. I know a local furniture seller than ships containers from Indonesia - searching for someone similar with HK and Japan as their starting point.

DuckWingDuck
November 10th, 2009, 01:08
hmm, that's an useful site, I was going to say just contact your friendly neighbourhood freight forwarder or customs broker and they'd be able to find space for you on a container.

DonS
November 10th, 2009, 13:46
Gladly, I am in the market for a baby seat and not Recaros buckets. Hopefully some RS6-er will snap these up and share their exeprience. I imagine these would be sweet in an all black RS6.

AudiRS4ever
November 10th, 2009, 15:40
Does anyone know if they're heated? I know the US Spec one's were heated, but don't know about the Euro's.

AudiRS4ever
November 10th, 2009, 16:37
Well, never mind that question. I guess I'll find out soon enough. I just bought them. Thanks Don S. :race: And it looks like I'll probably keep the RS6 considering I just paid 2k with shipping. :rs6kiss: Anyone want to buy a set of stock front seats? :hahahehe:

MarkusRS6
November 10th, 2009, 19:47
yes they have heating, nice buy!

AudiRS4ever
November 18th, 2009, 19:52
yes they have heating, nice buy!

Wanted to let you guys know the seats got here today. They look great! A couple of scuffs, but that was to be expected. I've already put 4 coats of leather cleaner and conditioner on them and they look even better.
One thing I never thought of is will the memory seat function still work on both of them? I would think that they would, but really don't care that much if they don't.
I'll take a picture when they're in the car. Thanks again Don! :incar:

RS6-4dr911
November 19th, 2009, 00:37
I think that was one of the drawbacks to doing this - no more memory. But really, who cares that much for such better seats.

DonS
November 19th, 2009, 04:01
Maybe you can buy a convenience computer for the seat seller, salvage or new from Audi. If it runs the seats, then it should hold the memories....right?

AudiRS4ever
November 19th, 2009, 14:33
Well, they are in and as you guys said, the memory is gone. I really don't care though. That is an interesting point Don about the convenience module, but it is the seat that doesn't have a connector for the memory to work. Like I said, it really doesn't matter to me, because the only other person who drives it is my wife and she only moves it forward a little. The seats are fantastic. Just as good as in my RS4 when I had it.
One problem that may be a real issue is I have a passenger airbag fault for seat. It is showing a ground problem. We are going to pull the seat and re-check the connector and wiring one more time. It looks like it is probably going to have to have a new airbag though. Anyone have a suggestion of how to get one since I can't order on for a European seat?
The other question I am debating is do I sell my stock seats or keep them in case I sell the car? I can't imagine anyone wanting the stock seats over the Euro seats, but I am curious what your opinion is.

DonS
November 19th, 2009, 15:20
The wiring diagram for the seats shows a small PCB. Can you wap the PCB from the stock seats to the Recaros to regain the memory?

Maybe a VAG reset of the airbags will repair the fault? If not, can the airbags be swapped from the stock to Recaros? I have wiring diagrams if you need them to find the ground.

There are a set of stock seats on eBay for $400 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130345223044&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT). They be a great upgrade for an A6 owner.

AudiRS4ever
November 19th, 2009, 15:51
Don, sorry for the ignorance, but what is a PCB? Once I know I will look at it and see. I've already looked at the airbag from my stock seats and I am going to pull the leather on the Recaros and check to see if it's the same airbag. I will let you know if I need the wiring diagram. Thanks for all of the help.

AudiRS4ever
November 19th, 2009, 15:58
Ok, never mind that idea. Just talked to my tech about it and found out that the motors are completely different. The American one's have 4 wires and the Euro's have 2. He said we would be taking a crap shoot to pull all of the sensors and motors and then try to re-wire the seats. Also, he said the motors wouldn't exactly fit. I can see what he's saying so I'm thinking since I don't care about memory I won't push it any further. Thanks though.
Still working with the airbag problem. I did reset the faults and the open circuit is still there. We are going to check the wiring one more time, but I know that is the normal fault for a faulty airbag. I'll let you know what we find.

DonS
November 19th, 2009, 16:58
There is an adapter for the airbag that has a ground.

And yes, the more I look at the seat diagrams, they are way different. However, there are wiring adapters to us the different motors in newer\older seats - maybe sport/recaro/stock as well.

Drop me a PM for PDFs.

AudiRS4ever
November 19th, 2009, 18:10
I don't think I'm going to need an adapter for the airbag. I have to assume I am getting ground already or both of the seats would have the fault, not just the passenger. I have two technicians (both of them named Nick ironically) that both agree the fault is for a defective airbag. One of them has the car right now and is going to look at it again this afternoon. I'm crossing my fingers he finds something wrong with the wiring.
As far as the seat motors, he absolutely agreed with you, but said it still wouldn't have the sensors to know where to stop. Again, we are still mulling it over and I really appreciate you offering the diagrams. Depending on what we find I may be asking for those. :0:

AudiRS4ever
November 20th, 2009, 00:36
Well I have news. There is no airbag in the passenger seat, which would be why I have a fault for it. I have opened a dispute with PayPal and asked that either they give me a brand new airbag, or take the seats back and give me a full refund. Thankfully the description headline says both seats with airbags. I am extremely pissed off. :vgrumpy: I'll post any results.

DHall1
November 20th, 2009, 03:21
Would a resistor solve the error message in the airbag system. Then the rest of the airbag system will work as designed but it still does not solve the air bag MIA for the passenger.

TozoM8
November 20th, 2009, 04:04
The motors are same size, but the memory motor has 4 wire. 2 for the encoder on the end. Like the pre-facelift A8. The driver's side has memory but the pass side doesn't. You probably able to swap the wiring and the motors from an salvaged A6, but I don't think it's worth it.

AudiRS4ever
November 20th, 2009, 14:18
Would a resistor solve the error message in the airbag system. Then the rest of the airbag system will work as designed but it still does not solve the air bag MIA for the passenger.

Yes, a resistor would make the light go away, but I wouldn't be willing to risk safety or know that the car wasn't complete.

Here's the good news. The company did contact me and they say they had no idea. They are willing to give me either a partial refund, or take the seats back and refund me 100%. That is good business. I find it hard to believe they didn't know, but regardless I appreciate the offer. I do want to keep the seats.

I am wondering if someone can help me with locating a passenger airbag for the seats though. Can someone tell me if this is the picture I took is the part number? I am also having my friend bring his B6 S4 over for me look at the seat and see if it is the same airbag, since the seats are so similar. If I can't get the airbag in America I am wondering if you guys think I should see if Grizz or someone else in Europe can get one and send it to me?

Anyway, thanks for all of the help. I really appreciate everyone chiming in and giving very good advise. Especially Don S. Your offer of the diagrams is awesome. This is by far the best board I've ever been on. Thanks! :addict:

p3u
November 20th, 2009, 16:22
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/4b0880242as/

There you go, I'm pretty sure you can get the part through other chanels for a bit less though.

I'd ask for at least that much from the seller.

AudiRS4ever
November 20th, 2009, 17:11
Thanks P3U. We have actually been researching all morning and found that a 1st generation TT airbag will fit the car almost perfectly. So I have ordered one in Black Leather and it looks like I'll be able to make this work. I really appreciate you reminding about ECS. Those guys are great.