PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here driven the new S4?

AudiRS4ever
November 9th, 2009, 14:39
I am getting more and more interested in the new S4. At first I didn't think I would be, but as I keep reading about it I am starting to think it would be a good stop-gap between my RS6 and the next RS4. As most of you know I was about to get another RS4, but decided not to. I have pretty much decided I am not going to buy another car that doesn't have forced induction, as I live so far above sea level naturally aspirated motors just can't breathe.
Anyway, the GSM at the dealer in Denver where I buy my cars from is actually trying to talk me out of it. He said he thinks I'll get bored after a couple of months. I am going to go up there and drive one when I get time, but that may not be for another few weeks. I am wondering if anyone here has driven one and what their thoughts were. Thanks!:incar:

ZCD2.7T
November 9th, 2009, 18:46
I drove a DSG-equipped Premium Plus version the other day. It's really a sweet vehicle.

Coming from an RS 6, you won't be impressed by the power, both because it's not as fast, and because the power delivery is much smoother. It doesn't deliver the rush of power that the C5 RS 6 is so famous for.

OTOH, it's fast in an absolute sense, in that it's faster than 97% of the other cars on the road, and the DSG transmission clicks off shifts smoothly and with no interruption in the acceleration. Couldn't be more different than the turbo-boosted series of lunges separated by pregnant pauses waiting for the tiptronic to shift that you get in your car. It's interesting to note that the 1/4 mile trap speeds are similar - 106 mph for the S4 vs. 107-108 mph for a typical RS 6.

The comfort is surprising, given that it's a B-series chassis. At 6'2", I fit with room to spare, and it will even seat 4 adults in reasonable comfort. That said, it's a tighter fit than a C5, so keep that in mind.

The handling is in a different league than the RS 6. The S4 is just far more nimble and biddable than a C5 could ever hope to be. The weight distribution, steering, sport diff and lighter weight all play a part in delivering a great drive.

The one big surprise was how quiet it is. The contrast to my 2.7T when I left the dealership was stunning. Now, some might argue that the S4 is TOO quiet, and I would understand why some might think that, but a quiet car is a comfortable car, so I'd happily take the trade off.

HTH.

Go drive one - I'd be curious to hear what you think.

mmaturo
November 9th, 2009, 22:18
Haven't driven the S4 but super briefly but had a B8 A4 for a few weeks and while i'm also 6'-2" i had headroom but not a ton (I did have the seat all the way down) but i do not like to recline too much as i tend to drive regularly not much different than i do on the track so i easily rest my hand on top of the wheel. Shortening the story though when i hit big expansion joints on the highway i hit my head on the roof line over my left shoulder several times easily. Also ingress/egress is not as easy (i have to duck my head or i get it on the opening. There is a size difference. Handling is way better (obviously) having driven with the drive select at an Audi preview. DSG is fantastic, Terry is dead on with differences in how these cars accelerate. I do not need 4 doors (yet) so i think i'm still headed towards an S5 or Audi please send RS5 soon.

butcher
November 10th, 2009, 03:27
I took a new demo S4 out for a test drive the other day while my RS4 was having another software chip downloaded again.

The S4 accelerates from mid-revs in sport mode in tiptronic like a play-station game, very impressed, in normal auto , bland and doughy, the very reason I like manuals.

Handling wise , a bit wobbly, turn in not quite the same as the RS4, but then we are comparing a super car versus a fast tourer.

Also regarding the sound of the S4, windows down, stereo off, up and down the DSG box, it sounds like a cross between a WRC rally car and world super bike WSB, even at low rev changes under load.
Overall , very impressed, in the right color, a very smart wagon.

ZCD2.7T
November 10th, 2009, 13:34
i'm also 6'-2" i had headroom but not a ton (I did have the seat all the way down)...Shortening the story though when i hit big expansion joints on the highway i hit my head on the roof line over my left shoulder several times easily. Also ingress/egress is not as easy (i have to duck my head or i get it on the opening...Terry is dead on with differences in how these cars accelerate.

Comment regarding space: Though we may be the same height, Mark is {ahem} BROADER than I am, which prolly accounts for our different experiences. I didn't find the car hard to get into, but there's no question that it's lower than any C5.

Also, FWIW, my name is Dave. Perhaps you're thinking of "TerryCL" who's also from the northwest suburbs of Chicago? I have a C5 2.7T while he's a fellow RS 6 owner. Sad for me, right? :hihi:

AudiRS4ever
November 10th, 2009, 15:24
Thanks for all of the responses. I am definitely going to go up to Denver and drive one when I get a chance. I'm either going to get the S4 or I'm going to play with the RS6 some more and do a few things over the winter while it's sitting. Either way this gives me a good idea of what to expect when I do drive the S4.