PDA

View Full Version : Restoration For Faded Black Trim and More

GEN XER
November 9th, 2009, 03:44
I have seen a lot of products over the years that say one thing and deliver another, but I have actually done the leg work on this prouct even on my RS6 and it actually does what it promises. I know the person who imports this polish from Germany and I told him he would have to give us a discounted price if he wanted to sell it to us. I dont know if I'm violating any forum rules so before I post the flyer will somebody school me?

GEN XER
November 9th, 2009, 05:57
Does anyone know the rules?

DuckWingDuck
November 9th, 2009, 06:00
there've been many posts about group buys and what not, as long as it's nothing shady, i don't see why not. we all know and trust you, it'd be one thing if the flyer was your first post or some such

GEN XER
November 9th, 2009, 06:34
Im talking with Erik now. I would rather err on the side of caution, than to step on any toes.

GEN XER
November 9th, 2009, 22:35
I see a lot of views but I am still waiting on Erik.

GEN XER
November 11th, 2009, 23:41
Erik is busy with an Exhibition. If this violates the rules he will let me know.

I have done almost every surface it describes and it does what it says. I am really impressed by the versatility and the ease of application. It's time you through away all those different supplies you use to keep your car looking its best and try some Acrylic Werks.

MaxRS6
November 12th, 2009, 00:06
:lovl:
... It's time you through away all those different supplies you use to keep your car looking its best and try some Acrylic Werks.

j/k- I may have to try it out if my car ever comes homes from the service bay...currently at 24 days. Thanks for the info.

GEN XER
November 12th, 2009, 00:10
:lovl:

I may have to try it out if my car ever comes homes from the service bay...currently at 24 days. Thanks for the info.

Im sorry about your car man. I think I would go crazy if my car had to be in the dealers hands that long.

MaxRS6
November 12th, 2009, 00:16
I have the pleasure of zipping around in a Jetta- I think I like the RS6 better. :music:

With another couple of weeks on the ETA I just take one day at a time...:stick:

DuckWingDuck
November 12th, 2009, 02:10
Damn, can we get a larger pic? Even maximised it's still kinda hazy....

GEN XER
November 12th, 2009, 03:05
Damn, can we get a larger pic? Even maximised it's still kinda hazy....

Its the max size the forum will allow. PM me your email address and ill send you a larger size.

DuckWingDuck
November 12th, 2009, 03:27
whatdafuhk @ gmail.com and I can host the larger size

GEN XER
November 12th, 2009, 05:45
whatdafuhk @ gmail.com and I can host the larger size

Thanks for reminding me about my photobucket account. I seem to forget about things these days. I guess 20 years of military and 5 deployments will do that.

GEN XER
November 12th, 2009, 05:47
See Here
The Email is gkbm@hotmail.com

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/AcrylicWerks.jpg

DuckWingDuck
November 12th, 2009, 07:46
http://www.twilightstar.net/greg/Acrylic%20Werks.jpg

DuckWingDuck
November 12th, 2009, 07:47
holy hell that's big! Hahaha

GEN XER
November 12th, 2009, 10:23
holy hell that's big! Hahaha

Holy Hell is right!:lovl:

GEN XER
November 14th, 2009, 18:17
What do you use on your Headlights, Windows, plastics, rubber and trim work to keep it from oxidizing?

DHall1
November 14th, 2009, 18:42
36x36 shop with 2x6 walls, insulated and air conditoned.

What do you use on your Headlights, Windows, plastics, rubber and trim work to keep it from oxidizing?

GEN XER
November 17th, 2009, 02:04
I figured this would happen. Nobody wants to take the plunge. Maybe if I contrast whatever wax you use to Acrylic Werks I can get someone to believe what I say about this polish being better. The retail price shipped is $32 per bottle. I have talked to the guy who imports this product and he has agreed to charge forum members $27 shipped in US. A bottle is 500ml.

What ever wax or polish you use:
1. Melts off at 104 degrees
2. Has to be applied at least 4 times a year.
3. Cant be used on plastic, rubber, or vinyl.
4. Has to be applied in the shade.
5. May leave swirl marks.
6. Not Water Based
7. Contains petroleum and distillates
8. Can't remove oxidized paint.
9. Can't remove headlight oxidation.

Acrylic Werks
1. Won't melt away at 350 degrees.
2. Will last one year.
3. Will restore and protect Plastic, Rubber, Vinyl, Chrome, Glass, and Fiberglass
4. Best results if applied in direct sunlight or on a warm surface
5. Will not leave Swirl Marks (will remove swirl marks)
6. Water Based.
7. Does not contain Petroleum or Distillates.
8. Removes oxidation from painted surfaces and restores the paint underneath
9. Removes oxidation from headlights. (if clear coated polish won't remove it)

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/GENXER1971/AcrylicWerks.jpg

V8weight
November 17th, 2009, 03:31
I figured this would happen. Nobody wants to take the plunge.
Oh, I see, a guilt trip:hihi: What do I have to do to get a bottle? Send me a pm with your Paypal address and a dollar amount.

GEN XER
November 17th, 2009, 03:40
Oh, I see, a guilt trip:hihi: What do I have to do to get a bottle? Send me a pm with your Paypal address and a dollar amount.

LOL!!! I will send you a PM.

GEN XER
November 19th, 2009, 01:55
Bump.....

V8weight
November 19th, 2009, 23:23
I got my bottle in the mail today (thanks for the quick service Willie), and plan on trying it out this weekend. I'll post back with the results later on.

GEN XER
November 20th, 2009, 01:25
Very good. Looking forward to your review. Remember to hit all the rubber seals and black plastic trim as well. Especially at the base of the side mirrors. I did not take the time on the grills yet though.

Amulet-S6
November 20th, 2009, 03:56

dhall, Curious, where are you located? I saw a mention of AZ somewhere recently. I need to get down to Scottsdale for some golf and sunshine soon.

Jim
Kansas City

V8weight
November 22nd, 2009, 18:01
I had chance to try this product out yesterday and I have to say that I'm really impressed. I used it on every body panel, actually the horizontal surfaces such as the hood, roof, and decklid required two applications. I also did every single piece of rubber trim, all the windows, all of the grilles, and removed the wheels and did them inside and out.
It's amazing how you can use this on every surface of the car without having to worry about staining anything. I was also impressed by how I was able to use it on the glass with no streaking what so ever. During use it removes all of your old wax as well as any other contaminants and leaves the ultimate clean surface. I couldn't believe how smooth paint was when I was finished, and the whole car looks wet. It also removes any old wax that may have been baked on to your black trim in the past. I accidentally ran my buffer over my sunroof gasket a while back and have never been able to remove the white stain, but this took it right off. Here's a few pics of my finished results, but the pics really don't do it any justice especially being overcast.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/017-1.jpg
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/018.jpg
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/011-1.jpg
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/009.jpg

V8weight
November 22nd, 2009, 18:35
I should add that I used an entire bottle of polish on my car, so depending on how far you want to go you may want purchase two bottles. Oh, and to be honest, for some reason it doesn't work for our grilles, which is unfortunate. I took the time to remove all 4 grilles from the front bumper and hood as well as all three from the rear bumper and polished them, only to find out that the recycled bendy straw material that they are made of soaked it right up.

s42ski
November 22nd, 2009, 20:27
GEN XER - how do I order - PM me and I will try a bottle - I am always willing to try new car care stuff

GEN XER
November 22nd, 2009, 20:53
I had chance to try this product out yesterday and I have to say that I'm really impressed. I used it on every body panel, actually the horizontal surfaces such as the hood, roof, and decklid required two applications. I also did every single piece of rubber trim, all the windows, all of the grilles, and removed the wheels and did them inside and out.
It's amazing how you can use this on every surface of the car without having to worry about staining anything. I was also impressed by how I was able to use it on the glass with no streaking what so ever. During use it removes all of your old wax as well as any other contaminants and leaves the ultimate clean surface. I couldn't believe how smooth paint was when I was finished, and the whole car looks wet. It also removes any old wax that may have been baked on to your black trim in the past. I accidentally ran my buffer over my sunroof gasket a while back and have never been able to remove the white stain, but this took it right off. Here's a few pics of my finished results, but the pics really don't do it any justice especially being overcast.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/017-1.jpg
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/018.jpg
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/011-1.jpg
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/009.jpg

I was just as suprised when I first saw the demo. This is why I had to bring it to serious car guys. I told Mark who imports this product that he had to give us a discount and he did and Im going to make sure everyone here who wants to make an order gets there discount.

I should add that I used an entire bottle of polish on my car, so depending on how far you want to go you may want purchase two bottles. Oh, and to be honest, for some reason it doesn't work for our grilles, which is unfortunate. I took the time to remove all 4 grilles from the front bumper and hood as well as all three from the rear bumper and polished them, only to find out that the recycled bendy straw material that they are made of soaked it right up.

I used 3/4 of a bottle myself, but it is worth it. The protection is better than wax, it is more durable than wax and all you have to do for the next year is wash your car, which becomes super easy with the Acrylic coating. Most true car guys will still apply another coat in about six months but it wont be necessary that you do. What you have to do now is take a road trip and get some bugs on the finish and see how easy they come off. I dont know what material the grilles are made of and I did not have the fortitude to even try to clean them, thanks for letting us know not to spend the time trying.

GEN XER
November 22nd, 2009, 20:54
GEN XER - how do I order - PM me and I will try a bottle - I am always willing to try new car care stuff

PM sent.

GEN XER
November 23rd, 2009, 17:22

Hey Dave don't you live in AZ where the sun may as well be in your house its so hot. Where do you park that big ol expensive RV. Surely its to long to fit in that 36*36. If it is sitting outside all year long getting beat up by the sun, then that paint really needs an improved polish to protect it over the long haul. There isn't a wax made that can protect better than Acrylic. You may need three bottles and a buffer to save time but if you are going to spend big money on your toys then a few pennies to get advanced protection from the elements is a no brainer I think. The RS6 may sit in the shop a lot but when you do bring it out in the 120 degree sun, whatever wax you are using just melts right away and you are left with no protection and a beeswax paste on the surface of your nice expensive RS6. Trust me get a bottle try it and you'll see.

GEN XER
November 24th, 2009, 19:03
Bump to top.

GEN XER
November 25th, 2009, 23:59
I cant believe DHall didnt have a comeback. He must not have been in here since I posted a response to his post. LOL!

GEN XER
November 26th, 2009, 22:20

I know you got the product, have you started any projects yet?

s42ski
November 27th, 2009, 05:29
Wife's Lexus is getting a try - car is 8 years old and black. So it shows every scratch and spec of dust. Pretty impressed so far - also using this on the rubber trim which was faded after years in the So Cal sun. I tried to get my wife to use a car cover at her work:vgrumpy:

Oh and my car is still in the shop - did not feel like waxing the loaner:lovl:

GEN XER
November 27th, 2009, 05:48
Wife's Lexus is getting a try - car is 8 years old and black. So it shows every scratch and spec of dust. Pretty impressed so far - also using this on the rubber trim which was faded after years in the So Cal sun. I tried to get my wife to use a car cover at her work:vgrumpy:

Woman just dont get it. I wouldn't polish the loaner either. I hope you get some before and after pics.

DHall1
November 27th, 2009, 07:06
Jim,

Casa Grande about 1/2hr south of Phoenix.

80 and sunny tomorrow. 1pm tee time.

:hahahehe:

dhall, Curious, where are you located? I saw a mention of AZ somewhere recently. I need to get down to Scottsdale for some golf and sunshine soon.

Jim
Kansas City

DHall1
November 27th, 2009, 07:14
Willie,

Your killing me here. Haha

I dont know where to build my RV garage. 1 1/2 acres and I dont have a spot for it. Too many trees, driveways, shop, pool, yard, grass, ponds....crap.

I would need 10 bottles to cover my RV.

You want to hear something funny. I use Mopnglow on the roof of the motorhome. hahahah it works fantastic.

Hey Dave don't you live in AZ where the sun may as well be in your house its so hot. Where do you park that big ol expensive RV. Surely its to long to fit in that 36*36. If it is sitting outside all year long getting beat up by the sun, then that paint really needs an improved polish to protect it over the long haul. There isn't a wax made that can protect better than Acrylic. You may need three bottles and a buffer to save time but if you are going to spend big money on your toys then a few pennies to get advanced protection from the elements is a no brainer I think. The RS6 may sit in the shop a lot but when you do bring it out in the 120 degree sun, whatever wax you are using just melts right away and you are left with no protection and a beeswax paste on the surface of your nice expensive RS6. Trust me get a bottle try it and you'll see.

DHall1
November 27th, 2009, 07:17
Ok,

Now this is too funny.

I also tried to get my wife to use a car cover at work on her E55.

The smack down was never so hard. :nono:

I was limping for a week. :doh:

She did come around and drives the LX470 on really hot days. :deal:

s42ski
November 27th, 2009, 23:24
Dhall, gets even more funny - I have gotten my wife to drive the SRX when it is really hot here as well - it is silver and it sits outside in any case ( only a two car garage ). Also GM makes great climate control systems for cooling off the car quickly. The Lexus is black on black - nuff said.

s42ski
November 27th, 2009, 23:29
Willie, did the wife's Lexus - came out great - really deep shine. Now will see how it holds up. I was using P21 wax prior which looked great but was good for about 2-3 months at best.

The cool thing is the product did clean the headlight assemblies to looking like new. They had some oxidation on them and it completely cleared them up. Stuff works as advertised.:0::0:

Maybe someday I can apply it on an RS6....

GEN XER
November 28th, 2009, 00:01
Willie, did the wife's Lexus - came out great - really deep shine. Now will see how it holds up. I was using P21 wax prior which looked great but was good for about 2-3 months at best.

The cool thing is the product did clean the headlight assemblies to looking like new. They had some oxidation on them and it completely cleared them up. Stuff works as advertised.:0::0:

Maybe someday I can apply it on an RS6....

You will be just as impressed in 3 months, 6 months, and on out to 1yr if you wait that long to re-apply. We need pics though. Acrylic Werks will remove the film on your headlights as long as it is not Clear-coat. CC has to be wet sanded with 800 grit then 1000 grit then 1200 grit and finally 1500 grit sandpaper, then instead of using cc to shine it back up I would use AW.

Your RS6 is really going to need it by the time you get it back. One thing I have learned over the years is most grease monkey's (mech) don't care how dirty they get your car. LOL.

V8weight
November 30th, 2009, 03:30
Just for reference, I gave the car a wash today after a 700 mile round trip to Iowa and back. It was covered in all the crud that usually follows a road trip (bugs, dirt and dust, tar, that grease that semi's seem to deposit on your hood, and those ground up worm guts that paste themselves on your rockers). It took no effort what so ever to clean anything off the car, what didn't just spray off with the hose required hardly any scrubbing. Not only that, but all my trim as well as the paint is just as shiny as when I first applied the Acrylic Werks, and it still beads water. Seems to be holding up quite well.

GEN XER
November 30th, 2009, 04:34
I had the same results on a road trip to Atlanta. I was down there for a week and did not wash the car until I came back. 2000 miles in and around trip and a ticket later I washed it with just water a rag and a bucket. I used a high pressure hose to get all the crud off. It only took a wipe down and buff with a microfiber after that. Nothing stuck to the car, not even road tar.

GEN XER
December 3rd, 2009, 14:37
Bump to top.

GEN XER
December 12th, 2009, 18:20
Waxes, wax-based products nor vampires like direct sunlight or a warm surface because the petroleum distillates evaporate too quickly creating a very gummy surface that is difficult and sometimes impossible to remove. Since most waxes do not respond well under these circumstances it would only stand to reason why they are not getting deep into the pores to clean and remove contaminants.

The ACRYLIC-WËRKS POLISH works on all surfaces except carpet and cloth. (Note, if you do get ACRYLIC-WËRKS POLISH on your cloth or carpet use a little fingernail brush and brush it out, there will be no residual stains.) As for other surfaces on the average automobile we encourage you apply it to the paint, black plastic trim, black rubber seals, chrome, aluminum, vinyl, plastics, faded headlamps, plexiglass, glass, tint, chassis, suspension components, engine, all stock or after market rims and anywhere or on anything else I failed to mention. You will be amazed at the staggering results on these surfaces

Now for waxes and wax-based products, DO NOT GET WAX ON YOUR BLACK PLASTIC TRIM! / DO NOT GET WAX ON YOUR BLACK RUBBER SEALS! (Makes you feel like Picasso working around the trim pieces.) What goes on first? Wax or trim shine, decisions, decisions!! Most folks (me included) just threw in the towel and started applying wax like a Kindergartner with fresh finger paints and paper, “outta my way!!” In the end you just have to spend more time with a detail brush to get that finished look and in today’s market that can be very time consuming since most manufacturers are using more black trim and exposing more vulnerable black rubber seals than ever for aesthetic purposes. And remember, before you apply most wax products to a surface it is recommended by most companies that you try it in an inconspicuous spot first. Ever asked why? In my humble opinion it has to be for liability purposes. See waxes operate mechanically, by this I mean whether you use a buffer or good old fashion elbow grease you are instructed in most cases to apply the wax in a circular motion, so the abrasives within the product can ever so slightly remove some of the surface. Ever been curious about the origins of the dreaded swirl-marks or why most companies offer a swirl-mark cover up somewhere in the multiple stage application process?

DHall1
December 12th, 2009, 18:39
Willie,

You mean I should not be using mop and glow on my paint finish?

:nana:

:vhmmm:

GEN XER
December 12th, 2009, 18:41
Willie,

You mean I should not be using mop and glow on my paint finish?

:nana:

:vhmmm:

LOL!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOO. More LOL!!!

s42ski
December 13th, 2009, 03:58
Dhall - ANYONE knows that you should be using Pledge since it "waxes as it dusts" :lovl:!

DHall1
December 13th, 2009, 08:00
I really do use mop and glow. Its used on the roof of the motorhome. A secret trick that motorhome owners use on the top surface of the rig.

I would need 2000 dollars of Willie's special wax to cover the 40ft motorhome. Mop and glow is second best and 4 dollars covers the roof 2 times.

:doh:

GEN XER
December 29th, 2009, 03:54
Bump to top.

GEN XER
April 20th, 2010, 04:27
Spring is here, time for polishing. Time for Acrylic Werks.

V8weight
April 20th, 2010, 04:36
Yep, return customer here. I just ordered three more bottles. This stuff is the real deal. 80k miles and shines better than new.
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/rawAZB_2381.jpg

GEN XER
April 20th, 2010, 04:44
That looks awesome for six months and 80k miles. I am going to have to polish mine with a buffer too. Jeez! You put 80K miles on your car in 6 months?

V8weight
April 20th, 2010, 04:47
That looks awesome for six months and 80k miles. I am going to have to polish mine with a buffer too. Jeez!
I never got around to buffing the car, I just applied the polish by hand per the instructions. Yeah, I'm equally impressed that it still looks this good after a MN winter.

mmaturo
April 20th, 2010, 04:49
looking forward to seeing my car in the morning as its the first time its ever been fully buffed/detailed (other than my hack Zanio wax jobs)...won a free full detail at a handwash close to me...already saw the inside and realize i need to get it done more often. Hope it shines like V8s above.

GEN XER
April 20th, 2010, 04:50
WOW!!! I thought you buffed it. I guess I better get better elbow grease then. LOL!

GEN XER
April 20th, 2010, 04:53
looking forward to seeing my car in the morning as its the first time its ever been fully buffed/detailed (other than my hack Zanio wax jobs)...won a free full detail at a handwash close to me...already saw the inside and realize i need to get it done more often. Hope it shines like V8s above.

No doubt it will look good. It just wont last as long as V8 has. That's after six months and a MN winter. It still does not need to be polished. You will find yours might fade in 2-3 months.

mmaturo
April 20th, 2010, 05:03
No doubt it will look good. It just wont last as long as V8 has. That's after six months and a MN winter. It still does not need to be polished. You will find yours might fade in 2-3 months.

Yep, i'm sure it will but then its back to me and Zanio or try something new again (and the above does look impressive). My Zanio lasts 6 months easily too when done well (clay bar then several coats) to deal with Chicago crap, but what my car really needed was a good buff down after years of hairline build-up. Never mind the interior where other than leather care and a wipe down I have never (or had it) fully detailed so already the dash and carpets look fantastic with a little good product on them (leaves a matte but clean smooth look whatever they used). I want to try the stuff you put on here to begin the post soon for both the RS and the used TT i just bought mainly for the black trim restoration and see if it really helps the headlights.

V8weight
April 20th, 2010, 05:12
Another thing about the Acrylic Werks is its higher melting point than that of wax. Want to see something really cool, Acrylic Werks polished rotor hats.......
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/001-8.jpg

mmaturo
April 20th, 2010, 05:17
now that IS impressive. Crazy. I used to really detail my cars (my old TT and Audi Cabrio) when i had a garage but i never got that nuts. Glad TT number two is in excellent starting shape although i need to get to treating the leather on a weekend very soon as its only part original owner seemed to skip.

GEN XER
April 20th, 2010, 05:43
Another thing about the Acrylic Werks is its higher melting point than that of wax. Want to see something really cool, Acrylic Werks polished rotor hats.......
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/Pellis833/001-8.jpg

This is something I should have thought of. Man that's High temp resistance for ya.

vitalian
May 9th, 2011, 15:33
I ordered some Acrylic Werks from GenXer and finally had the opportunity to use it yesterday afternoon. Color me impressed! It was much easier to apply than conventional wax, and the results were better! Did a nice job on my rims, too! I know these photos aren't the greatest, but note the perfect reflection of my neighbor's car in my door panel in the photo on the left, and the glasslike shine in the photo on the right:

I would definitely recommend this product.

GEN XER
May 9th, 2011, 16:42
I ordered some Acrylic Werks from GenXer and finally had the opportunity to use it yesterday afternoon. Color me impressed! It was much easier to apply than conventional wax, and the results were better! Did a nice job on my rims, too! I know these photos aren't the greatest, but note the perfect reflection of my neighbor's car in my door panel in the photo on the left, and the glasslike shine in the photo on the right:

I would definitely recommend this product.

Great Job. Now all you have to do is wash the car as often as needed up there in Seattle and that luster will remain that way. In my experience and others who have used AW, this luster and the protection will last a year or more, but personally I boost mine 6 months after the initial application, then I go annually if needed. Here is a little secret, take a 24-32oz spray bottle fill it with water and add a cap full of AW, shake the bottle to mix the solution and now you have a car detailer spray. You will really appreciate AW when you get your first bug splatter or bird poo on the car that you may have missed for a couple days and you see how easy even the baked on sun dried contaminates just wipe away without leaving any damage to the paint.

Enjoy
-Willie

vitalian
May 9th, 2011, 17:21
Good tip with the AW detailing solution! I will definitely try that.