View Full Version : Pics of my "Black Optics" package

GBG
November 8th, 2009, 03:46
Had my trusted body shop guy paint all aluminum trim flat black:
-- 2 Front grills,
-- headlight moldings,
-- window trim, and
-- trunk trim.

Changes overall appearance of of car-- much nastier and looks ready for the track! :incar: Lighting is a bit weird in these pics because of time of day (dusk), but you get the idea. GBG

Beastly
November 8th, 2009, 04:40
wow - hit. I like it. Now rid your self of the amber corners

Rear pix needed

Born2be
November 8th, 2009, 05:01
Very nice!!!

ben916
November 8th, 2009, 05:06
looks great!

DHall1
November 8th, 2009, 06:08
Looks nice.

Questions

Did you remove the roof mlds and window trim for painting? If so, how hard are they to remove?

I have been thinking about this and painting the chrome rings front and back along with the RS6 badge in the rear. Black chrome on the chrome badges to go along with my Hella oem smoked tails and rear lic plate surround.

-- 2 Front grills,
-- headlight moldings,
-- window trim, and
-- trunk trim.

Changes overall appearance of of car-- much nastier and looks ready for the track! :incar: Lighting is a bit weird in these pics because of time of day (dusk), but you get the idea. GBG

Ruergard
November 8th, 2009, 07:51
Love it!

GBG
November 8th, 2009, 16:57
wow - hit. I like it. Now rid your self of the amber corners

Rear pix needed

Thanks guys. A few more shots of the rear. DHall, my body shop guy told me that he removed the straight alum trim to paint but did NOT remove the curved trim out of fear of bending it. For the curves, he used some sort of special tape (3M product) to get underneath the alum (to protect the body paint) and then painted while trim was on car.

MaxRS6
November 8th, 2009, 17:05
Looks great!

DHall1
November 8th, 2009, 17:52
Perfect,

Now you need the Hella oem rear smoked tails. They do not alter the strength of the rear light output due to a special design pattern in the lens. You get full light output and a nice smoked lens. Look into it.

Thanks guys. A few more shots of the rear. DHall, my body shop guy told me that he removed the straight alum trim to paint but did NOT remove the curved trim out of fear of bending it. For the curves, he used some sort of special tape (3M product) to get underneath the alum (to protect the body paint) and then painted while trim was on car.

SAF
November 8th, 2009, 17:53
Sweetness!

gjg
November 8th, 2009, 21:28
Perfect,

Now you need the Hella oem rear smoked tails. They do not alter the strength of the rear light output due to a special design pattern in the lens. You get full light output and a nice smoked lens. Look into it.

and you also need the mirrors painted in the body color ... :hahahehe:

GBG
November 9th, 2009, 03:17
Perfect,

Thanks Dave. They look very nice. http://www.parts4euro.com/DCShop/product_info.php?cPath=2_29_190&products_id=314

DHall1
November 9th, 2009, 04:05
I have never been a big fan of tinted light housings in the past.

But, these Hella units have a very interesting lens material. If you look directly at the light output portion of the lens the light output is allowed to pass without any reduction.

Here is a pic of my car that gives you an idea. See how you can see thru the area of the brake and turn signal but the rest of the lens is still gray and smoked.

Against the Daytona gray and your black trim....I would say thumbs up.

DuckWingDuck
November 9th, 2009, 04:06
personally, i say just take a bottle of black spray paint to that shit. Heh.

p3u
November 9th, 2009, 04:47
I have never been a big fan of tinted light housings in the past.

But, these Hella units have a very interesting lens material. If you look directly at the light output portion of the lens the light output is allowed to pass without any reduction.

Here is a pic of my car that gives you an idea. See how you can see thru the area of the brake and turn signal but the rest of the lens is still gray and smoked.

Against the Daytona gray and your black trim....I would say thumbs up.

2nd! I have been thinking on and off of doing the black trim as well. Here is a pic of the hella tail lights on my daytona, looks perfect imho

got boost
November 9th, 2009, 12:27
GBG, Looks GREAT!

Here's the hella smoked on my DG w/ flat trim. Let me know if you or anyone would like the set. I got them from a member here a while back and dont use them anymore. They are in perfect condition, no scratches/ no condensation. And sorry, I wasnt trying to thread jack, but they have been sitting in my garage for a long time.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a37/ri55/tail.jpg

GBG
November 9th, 2009, 15:37
Those smoked tails look great! Thanks Dave and guys for posting those excellent pics.

Got Boost, how much will you sell me yours for? PM me. Thanks. Gary

GBG
November 9th, 2009, 23:57
Those smoked tails look great! Thanks Dave and guys for posting those excellent pics.

Got Boost, how much will you sell me yours for? PM me. Thanks. Gary

Scott- got your PM, thanks. I replied, but not sure if it went through. If you didn't get a PM from me, then please PM me again with your email address and I'll email you directly. Thanks. Gary

got boost
November 10th, 2009, 14:47
got it and emailed you

Innovator
November 11th, 2009, 15:28
-- 2 Front grills,
-- headlight moldings,
-- window trim, and
-- trunk trim.

It looks like the front bumper was repainted the wrong color.... Is it me, or am I right?

GBG
November 11th, 2009, 20:36
It looks like the front bumper was repainted the wrong color.... Is it me, or am I right?

You are definitely right that the pics make it look like that. Must be the lighting or shadows because in person it matches perfectly.

BenA
January 5th, 2010, 21:30
and you also need the mirrors painted in the body color ... :hahahehe:

What is the consensus thought (not that I'd expect consensus) on painting the mirrors? I'm planning to paint my trim black like here and am planning to go dark (titanium) powdercoat on the OEM wheels. I also have the grilles with black surround instead of aluminum surround. So what to do with the mirrors? Paint Daytona gray and clearcoat or flat black like the trim? I'm leaning Daytona gray - anyone done either?

RS6-4dr911
January 6th, 2010, 02:32
Definitely not flat black. DG maybe, why not let the mirrors be your only "bling"?

SteveKen
January 6th, 2010, 03:41
I'm anxiously awaiting my S6 coming back from being painted. It's been at the body shop since October. All of the trim including the rain gutters have been removed and powder coated a satin black color. I'm also removing the aluminum mirrors and having a spare set painted black, rather than the silver body color. I hope it turns out.

The Powder coating only cost me $125 US and looks excellent.

http://www.kendrish.com/galleries/S6/trim/pc1.JPG

http://www.kendrish.com/galleries/S6/trim/pc2.JPG

http://www.kendrish.com/galleries/S6/trim/pc4.JPG

terrytcl
January 6th, 2010, 16:37
steve,
how did that trim come off? does it just pop off?

where does the trim go with the nipples? is that for your roof rails?

SteveKen
January 6th, 2010, 16:58
steve,
how did that trim come off? does it just pop off?

where does the trim go with the nipples? is that for your roof rails?

My body shop carefully removed all the trim without a hitch. This includes the rear trunk trim piece. Yes it apparently can be done.

The window assemblies were removed to get the lower window trim off, but I'm pretty sure it can be done without this step.

The rain gutters are riveted on from the front up to the rear window glass and then they are clipped on so the rear window glass didn't have to be removed. As for the sedan, I'm not sure, but I did have to remove (cut out) the C-Pillar glass to get the rain gutters off of my B5 S4.

On the avant, the upper rain gutter clips into the lower rain gutter (two pieces essentially making one) at the rearmost point of the vehicle. The pic above shows the lower piece with the J-bend.

The other pieces shown are the roof rails.

I'm not sure if this help or not. If you want to try it, I'd say be very careful as these parts are very expensive to replace.

eurotunedrs6
January 6th, 2010, 20:41
That looks great! Once I pick up my rs6 sometime in the next week I'll have to consider doing this.

bruce
January 6th, 2010, 23:38
That looks great! Once I pick up my rs6 sometime in the next week I'll have to consider doing this.

I have the factory "Black Optics" package that I probably will part with after I get my new wheels on, if interested....pm me. Still unopened in box :doh:

Golffather
January 7th, 2010, 13:14
Black optics looks great for the moody look

Compliments daytona well and looks good on all RS colours other than Avus silver (imo).

Ebony black with optics looks EVIL ;)

Jones
January 12th, 2010, 14:26
GBG, looks great. Makes it look much meaner and aggressive. Did you paint the entire front grill or just the chrome trim around it?

BTW, we should do a tri-state gtg in the spring. Perhaps a nice drive upto www.gpny.com (http://www.gpny.com)

-- 2 Front grills,
-- headlight moldings,
-- window trim, and
-- trunk trim.

GBG
January 12th, 2010, 15:45
GBG, looks great. Makes it look much meaner and aggressive. Did you paint the entire front grill or just the chrome trim around it?

BTW, we should do a tri-state gtg in the spring. Perhaps a nice drive upto www.gpny.com (http://www.gpny.com)

Thanks. I just painted the trim. The grill itself is already black and looks fine as is. A drive sounds great...