PDA

View Full Version : Already got dinged on the 5th day

eph94
August 28th, 2003, 02:36
Another car hit my Beast on the right rear fender flare while it was parked in a lot. :vvangry: It wasn't much of a hit, about the size of a JFK half dollar coin and the paint is scuffed a bit. However, it is in a location where the Dent Wizard people can't get underneath it to work their magic. The guy gave his best effort using glue to pull it out. He was able to reduce it to the size of a tip of a pinkie finger, but that's it. He gave his condolences and then didn't charge me a cent. Very nice guy, but ding is quite a bummer. He said if we have the dealer remove the components on that right side in the trunk then they MAY be able to get underneath but he isn't even sure since the gas filler hole could be in the way. :vsad2: :vsad: :cry:

Anybody else already have imperfections on their Beast?

gmbh6
August 28th, 2003, 06:57
dude.....sorry to hear that.

luckily my beast is sitting mint in my garage........but if it makes you feel better my H2 (Hummer) has been through war.

fricken coward bastard environmentalist keyed my driver side one night when i was at my brother-in-laws (he lives in west l.a.)

you don't know how bad i wish i would have caught them in the act......i'd still be :bang: their heads to the concrete........and no time for :argue: .....beat down first ask questions later.

.......so could have been worse.....sorry anyways

eph94
August 28th, 2003, 09:18
I hear ya on how it could have been worse. At first I was really bummed out and then I had a weird sense of relief when I realized it could have been much worse than it was. I oddly didn't not even get angry at the wife when she brought the car home that way. Given how close the dent was to right rear wheel, I could imagine if the perpetrator knocked the entire wheel well and did hundreds of dollars, if not thousands, worth of suspension, wheel, and body damage. I'm viewing the little dimple as a "beauty mark" and I'm going to leave it be. Makes my Beast special. :eek:

TheBrit
August 28th, 2003, 13:37
Sorry to hear you've been 'tagged' already. :(

As far as I'm aware (because it's sitting in the car park right now), I've not had a single mark yet on the bodywork, which is pretty amazing for 8 months of ownership. Having said that, the S8 that preceded the Beast never got dinged either, but the A6 and A4 before that looked like the surface of the moon after a year. My guess is that people take more care near an obviously expensive car as they don't want to have to pay for an expensive paint job if they get caught...

Hope I haven't cursed myself by writing that! :mouthshut

nene
August 28th, 2003, 15:25
Really sorry to hear it JJV!

My S4 had someone bang into it while parked in the rear driver's side door. Bastage left, and now I'm stuck having to get a whole new rear door. Even scratched the wheel the mofo.

The RS6 is still in good condition, as I go out my way to park the car in spots normally people wouldn't go to. I know it's odd, as I've said the same about other drivers, but now I guess I understand. I still can't protect the best 100%, but I do my best.

RS6FEVR
August 28th, 2003, 16:37
:vsad: JJV BUMMER!

My paint and body panels are still in good shape, but I've managed to knick the left front wheel with two dime size scrapes on the edge. :vsad2: :vsad2: Pretty sure I did it in the touchless auto car wash after my Road America "filth up" stint. I thought the extended edge of my high performance rubber would protect me as I drove into the wash, but, alas, can only conclude I was incorrect. I hate when this happens. At least I'm to blame and don't have to carry a resentment about some a..hole in a parking lot unclear on the concept! Had a friend of mine who loved shotguns and watched him go through a ritual with a brand new very expensive baretta which included uncasing the gun, picking up a small rock, made two small scratches on the underside of the barrels and then said "now I don't have to worry about it anymore, it's broken in!" It's a tough environment out there!

:addict: FEVR :addict:

jimmy94507
August 28th, 2003, 17:09
JVA, sorry to hear about your first ding! I, like all of you, know sooner or later it will happen. And, like most on the forum, I try to park in spots where I "think" will be least risk to the car. However, .......? I remember the first, and only, ding in my A6 4.2 where I had carefully diagonally parked with a bush on the left and an SUV on the right sufficiently forward so the driver door would miss the car. Unfortunately, I failed to anticipate that the driver had kids and the left passenger door got my right passenger door. Didn't chip the paint but the Dent Pro guy couldn't make it perfect again, due to the side protection bar in the door. As for you, he didn't charge me since it wasn't "perfect". Only he, my fiance and I could locate the slight imperfection when he finished. He got a darn good tip.

Here's hoping we all fare well down the road. I'd like to believe what "The Brit" had to say: most people will notice an expensive car and be carefull for fear they'll get caught dinging it. I have a different view out here in California: until the lease companies start to really penalize their customers when their leases expire, too many of them will treat their vehicle as a throw-away, and consequently, they will treat all other vehicles in the same fashion - no respect or responsibility for their actions!

Regards, Jim

Benman
August 28th, 2003, 20:33
unfortunately what Jim says is ALL too true. In California the only thing most peolpe seem to care about are themselves, and NOT the "other" guy. It is getting more and more rare to see people follow the Golden Rule. JJV, really sorry to hear that. :(

Ben:addict:

eph94
August 28th, 2003, 20:57
I've convinced myself to believe that the car was dinged by a clueless person who had no idea that he/she even hit my car. Unfortunately, after looking at all the front and rear bumper scratches on my mom's car, I think she falls into that category. And how could I get angry at people like my mom? At least it helps me restore faith in humanity. :0:

Thanks for the empathy guys! To most others, it's "just" a car ding. But those people also don't regularly search 4 different message boards for posts regarding the RS6. Obsessed? Maybe just a little... :bye:

absent
August 29th, 2003, 01:45
How would you feel if somebody scratched:"asshole" on the hood of your car?(happened to my CL55 on second day of ownership on January 12,2001.):vvangry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

BBGT2
August 29th, 2003, 05:51
Guys,

Sorry to hear the "ding" stories, guess all I can say is better a ding than a dong. LOL
Mine is doing OK, noticed a small rock chip on the hood already and was p/o. Definately time to get Xpel to do their thing.

Absent got a question for you you say you have a 01 CL 55, (nice car btw) which do you like better performance wise.
Reason I ask is a buddy of mine has one and has a RS 6 and says the CL will run rings (how appropriate) around the RS. Just wanted another's view on that. Anyone else can asnwer with their thoughts regarding this. I personally havent driven a CL 55 but know its got gobs of power and torque.

Thanx,

Bajo:addict:

gjg
August 29th, 2003, 08:43
with equall set of balls the CL55 won't quite make it ....

http://mbspy.bacosys.be/c21555amg.htm

gg

bonte
August 29th, 2003, 10:38
@ GJG:

that information isn't coorrect;

the Cl500 has 306 hp
CL55 AMG: 500hp and 700Nm
CL600: 500hp and 800Nm!

(CL65: 612hp and 1000Nm but don't think i'll know anybody that will own that car...)

bonte
August 29th, 2003, 10:39
@ ABSENT:

what car do you have now? I know you had the CL55 and then CL600, but what now? I didn't see a post with your 'new' car at bmwm5.com...

Erik
August 29th, 2003, 10:53
absent drives an E55 AMG if I'm correct. :cheers:

gjg
August 29th, 2003, 11:13
my mistake - I've used 99 info. 7/;2003 Evo info:

"supercharged V8 has gone up .... at 493bhp, 516lb ft of torque."

so with performance being close I would want to see the CL55 driving circles around RS6 ........

gg

gmbh6
August 29th, 2003, 16:33
sorry to hear that.....what a jealous ingrate.

last night i had a dream that my car was being pelted with rocks all over the road.........i almost woke up crying.

and speaking of mercs......we have a '99 CL600 (V12) and though i haven't driven the newer ones.....that has got to be one of the last truly great mercs......that car was made for touring and their is no other ride i'd rather take for a nice long 2 hour drive.

having said that i wouldn't give up my beast for anything.......just wanted to let you know that i feel that is the greatest touring car ever assembled.

absent
August 30th, 2003, 02:48
CL55 was the previous model(not S/C),was primarily my wife's car.
Although a beautiful car,it would not stand a chance against RS6.
Current CL55 is a different story,I'm curious myself how it would compare against it.
I'm driving E55 now,it's really,really fast,but it's slower then CL600,over 100 mph in particular.
It's easier to drive aggresively though and in my case has a better traction(especially in the wet),the torque of the 600 is just mind boggling(ask Treynor)

MileHighRS6
September 1st, 2003, 00:53
When I picked up my car from the dealer there was shipping damage. There was a dent as big as a grape fruit on the leading edge of the hood. The grille was also damaged. Also the left front wheel is damaged like it rubbed against something in shipping. The dealer is paying me to fix it since I own a bodyshop.

MileHighRS6