PDA

View Full Version : Car running like shite

cornishmoocher
November 6th, 2009, 19:34
Went to overtake a lorry today and the car farted and spluttered and loss power, then a big plume of black smoke from the right zorst.

general consensus is that it is overfueling.

took this vid to show the smoke which smells oily so could be a turbine seal too. this was after a 30 mile run so not condensation.

Still sounds feckin ace though... Shame about the rest of the mechanics!

Turn it up!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx7UZ5i6fEs

RS6-4dr911
November 7th, 2009, 04:32
I'll take you at your word on the "smells oily" and "black smoke", on the vid however, looks and appears more like steam(water). Is that possible? We all know you're not stock and running more of everything, did a head gasket give out? Or are you positive it's oil?

cornishmoocher
November 7th, 2009, 08:10
NO, its def not steam/condensation. Under load it darkens, and smells oily....

gjg
November 8th, 2009, 21:30
Went to overtake a lorry today and the car farted and spluttered and loss power, then a big plume of black smoke from the right zorst.

general consensus is that it is overfueling.

took this vid to show the smoke which smells oily so could be a turbine seal too. this was after a 30 mile run so not condensation.

Still sounds feckin ace though... Shame about the rest of the mechanics!

Turn it up!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx7UZ5i6fEs

moocher - how many miles on it?

cornishmoocher
November 8th, 2009, 21:40
85k.......

Aronis
November 8th, 2009, 22:32
hold a piece of white paper in front of the smoke stream to capture a sample. You can then tell if it's oil.

Looks like Oil to me!
Both SIDES so its coming from both halves of the V8 (separate exhaust each bank).

Mike

Hy Octane
November 9th, 2009, 01:24
Bad Gas?

shoeboxjoe
November 17th, 2009, 18:21
Have you figured this out yet? It looks more black in the video, if its coming from both banks equally my first guess is its got too much fuel which would also account for it running like crap. Seems unlikely that the oil seals in both turbos would be bad at the same time or that both heads/head gaskets would be bad. Also check your intake plumbing for oil.

grizz
November 18th, 2009, 19:32
Sorted ,

Big boost leak ....

It made 516 bhp on the rolling road with 590ibft torque ..