PDA

View Full Version : extended warranty?

Benman
August 28th, 2003, 00:45
Just wanted to get some feedback on the thoughts around here about the extended warranty that the dealers are offering.

I'm curious how many thought it was worth it (as i'm sure repairs are quite expensive) and also what the dealers were charging. Obviously i know that some of you are not planning to keep your Beasts for a long time, but for those of us (like myself) that will hang on to this bad boy for sime time, feedback would be much appreciated.:cheers:

Ben:addict: :addict:

Bauer
August 28th, 2003, 01:21
I thought I heard that audi was going to offer an extended warranty starting in October. If so I would probably going with the Audi warranty over others.

Bauer

03 RS6
01 S8
92 S4

Finnus
August 28th, 2003, 13:21
Has anyone heard anything specific about an extended warranty offered by Audi? I would probably be interested.

Finnus

:addict: :addict: :addict:

TheBrit
August 28th, 2003, 13:32
We don't have manufacturer/dealer-supported extended warranties over here in the UK (not on brands like Audi, BMW, Meerc etc anyway), but I do know that RS 6 maintenance is often a very lengthy process and the number of 'operations' that require removal of the engine and gearbox is quite high - this will bump up the labour cost of a lot of jobs.

An extended warranty that covers all labour charges might be a smart move if your RS 6 is a keeper, and as these things are basically a form of insurance, get a cost agreed now before the warranty underwriters figure out how much it might cost them to maintain an RS 6!

nene
August 28th, 2003, 15:27
I inquired about an extended warranty at time of purchase. My finance guy told me to wait a few months, as Audi is debating on whether to offer one or not. Currently you can get one, but it's from another car manufacturer. Let's hope that Audi offers it by October.

jimmy94507
August 28th, 2003, 17:27
I had heard Audi, actually, I think it was VAG, that effective 1 August they will be offering an extended warranty for new vehicles, not used, which will carry Audi's name on the warranty contract (even though they will have a 3rd party handle the contracts). I had briefly tweaked my salesman about not offering this at the time I got the care and he was to get back to me with info. I will contact him again today and see what he has learned. Look for my posting.

The Brit - Thanks for the comments about a lot of the maintenance being labor intensive. Quite a bit of the maintenance on even the standard A6 requires removeal of the engine. And this engine is really stuffed in there. Just checking the oil requires care if you don't want oil stains as evidence that you had checked it.

Regards, Jim

Finnus
August 28th, 2003, 17:43
Called my local dealer today. Their comment was no extended warranty at this time. Unless the cost was completely rediculous, I would definitely get it if available.

Finnus

:addict: :addict: :addict:

Benman
August 28th, 2003, 18:28
Thanks for the input guys:cheers: The issue is that it IS on the pricey side. @ $2800.00 is what they want. And that's NOT a 100% warranty. It works more like an insurance policy (and the 3rd party is a company owned by Zurich insurance). You have to pay a deductable EACH time the vehicle is brought in. It is NOT as good as the standard factory warranty. This is why i'm looking for some input from the other board members on their take. I'm not too sure if it's worth it or not (although i know repairs could be QUITE expensive!!!):cheers:

Ben:addict:

jimmy94507
August 28th, 2003, 19:41
Hi all,

Called my salesman who went to the finance guys regarding the extended warranty for the RS 6. After some research they just called me back and here's the info I was provided:
RS6, 7 year, 100,000 miles, Audi Contract
$100 deductible - $4700
$ 50 deductible - $5900
$ 0 deductible - $6900

Hmmm, I just went through this with my former 2000 A6 4.2 (which only had a factory warranty of 3 years, 50,000 miles). As I recall, the extended warranty for 7 years, 100,000 miles with $50 deductible (which added an extra $130 vs $100 the deductible) was around $2500.

Based on The Brit's maintenance comments, we could expect to be paying quite a bit more, vs a normally aspirated 4.2, due to the twin turbos and all the special RS 6's modifications throughout the drive train and suspension. It becomes a personal decision if one wants to pay such a premium up front to avoid any major surprise expenditures down the road. Although, I'm not sure you have to purchase the extended warranty right now?? One may be able to purchase it prior to the expiration of the original factory warranty? I'll do some more investigating.

Regards, Jim

Benman
August 28th, 2003, 20:53
Thank you Jim:bye: Please keep us posted:cheers:

Ben:addict: