PDA

View Full Version : New BMW M3 GTS!

Ruergard
November 4th, 2009, 19:03
So, here it is.. A new "CSL".

BMW M3 GTS. Pure M genes. (+Interview with Dr. Kay Segler. https://www.m-power.com/_open/b/editorial.jsp?id=2021&lang=en)
5. Nov. 09

Even when you see it from a distance, you are instantly electrified. As a BMW M enthusiast, every step you take towards the orange painted concept vehicle of the BMW M3 GTS with its numerous matt black applications raises your adrenaline level a little more.

https://www.m-power.com/imageDispatcher.jsp?folder=editorial&image=img/Open_2022_2139.jpg

Exclusive 19-inch wheels with ample 255/35 tyres at the front and 285/30 at the rear catch your eye.

https://www.m-power.com/imageDispatcher.jsp?folder=editorial&image=img/Open_2022_2140.jpg

All this is certainly nice looking and sensible, but what you glimpse through the spokes of the aluminium wheel rims is even more exciting: a generously sized fixed caliper brake system with six pistons at the front and four at the rear.

https://www.m-power.com/imageDispatcher.jsp?folder=editorial&image=img/Open_2022_2141.jpg

The wheels almost fill out the wheel arches, but if you look closely you discover the next highlight. Yellow springs with a small M logo provide the crucial clue: a threaded suspension, adjustable in compression and rebound. “The rear axle support is bolted in place,” adds the responsible engineer.

https://www.m-power.com/imageDispatcher.jsp?folder=editorial&image=img/Open_2022_2143.jpg

https://www.m-power.com/imageDispatcher.jsp?folder=editorial&image=img/Open_2022_2144.jpg

The expert will also spot the adjustable front splitter and rear wing. One thing is clear: this car is serious stuff. Not only can a high level of downforce be generated but it also precisely adjustable at front and rear. Fast bends can look forward to welcoming the BMW M3 GTS - but they won’t get to see it for long.

https://www.m-power.com/imageDispatcher.jsp?folder=editorial&image=img/Open_2022_2147.jpg

“The serial production BMW M3 is already weight-optimised with a whole range of measures reserved for the BMW M3 CSL in the last model - the striking carbon lightweight roof, for example.”

https://www.m-power.com/imageDispatcher.jsp?folder=editorial&image=img/Open_2022_2149.jpg

So the engineers had to get back to work again to come up with more. Light body-contoured seats are a must.

A cluster of lightweight construction measures such as optimisation of the insulation, the use of lightweight parts in the interior, the use of Macrolon for the car's windows in the back, the lack of air conditioning, navigation and radio and the entire rear seat also gets the scales the down.

https://www.m-power.com/imageDispatcher.jsp?folder=editorial&image=img/Open_2022_2150.jpg

And the new titanium rear silencer not only looks great and contributes to the thrilling sound of the BMW M3 GTS, it is also much lighter than its serial production counterpart.

https://www.m-power.com/imageDispatcher.jsp?folder=editorial&image=img/Open_2022_2153.jpg

Indispensable for safety reasons: the lightweight construction body has been prepared for installation of the 6-point seatbelt included for use on the race track. There are also mounts for the roll-over protective structure bolted on from the B column. A fire extinguisher and a battery master switch/emergency shut-off preparation do not make the car lighter either - but safer.

https://www.m-power.com/imageDispatcher.jsp?folder=editorial&image=img/Open_2022_2155.jpg

So the BMW M3 GTS concept vehicle puts the scales up to around 1490 kilograms - causing the engineer to give an appreciative nod.

And the drivetrain? The heart of the BMW M3 GTS?

The car is fitted with a 7-speed M dual clutch transmission with adapted shift characteristics. But an absolute highlight is to be found under the bonnet. Exclusively for the BMW M3 GTS, the engine builders of BMW M - recent winners of the Engine of the Year Award once again - have developed a power unit based on the M high-performance engine of the current BMW M3: with a capacity of 4.4 litres and an output of some 450 bhp, it will catapult the light BMW M3 GTS into a whole new sphere.

After all, the aim is to clearly beat the lap time of the legendary M3 CSL on the Nürburgring Nordschleife. And test runs certainly give grounds for optimism.

I have to say this looks really, really cool. Should be seriously fast as well... :revs:

RXBG
November 4th, 2009, 19:47
2300 lbs. will be very fast. but this is definitely a track only vehicle. not even as livable as the AMG black series. it will help bmw get mentioned once again in track/ring comparison discussions with friends at a bar, but it is not a serious daily driver by any stretch. curious to see the ring time. i'd venture 7:40.

LittleDevil
November 4th, 2009, 19:51
What do you think RS5 vs M3 GTS? How much slower RS5 will be :)

Best Regards

Damienr8
November 4th, 2009, 20:39
2300 lbs. will be very fast. but this is definitely a track only vehicle. not even as livable as the AMG black series. it will help bmw get mentioned once again in track/ring comparison discussions with friends at a bar, but it is not a serious daily driver by any stretch. curious to see the ring time. i'd venture 7:40.

Think you meant 3200 RXBG (3285 from the manufacturer) which is over 400lbs less than the stock M3 !!!! Thats some serious weight reduction at an obvious cost(s). This is going to be a beast on the track... BEAST.

Also, i wouldn't jump to compare it to the upcoming RS5 because it's obviously a track oriented vehicle with many of it's conveniences omitted.

With the R8 GT snooping around the corner, one could wonder if such variations will trickle down to Audi's forthcoming RS line of vehicles. Maybe a RS5GT

RXBG
November 4th, 2009, 20:40

Best Regards

LOL>

completely different cars. RS5 is M3 competition. and will cost about 40K less than this car.

apples to apples though- CLK63 Black is probably faster than this car. sorry to say.

crespo
November 4th, 2009, 21:05
LOL>

completely different cars. RS5 is M3 competition. and will cost about 40K less than this car.

apples to apples though- CLK63 Black is probably faster than this car. sorry to say.
Nope, pretty sure this car will be faster than the 3900lb+ CLK63 black.

You underestimate hardcore M3s...

You're probably right about the RS5 though.

RXBG
November 4th, 2009, 21:13
yep- i did mean 3200 lbs- thanks Damien.

Crespo- the black has so much torque though- kills the M3 in that dept and this can seriously overcome weight issues. handling wise it will be tight. also, the AMG auto is very fast.

Damienr8
November 4th, 2009, 22:58
yep- i did mean 3200 lbs- thanks Damien.

Crespo- the black has so much torque though- kills the M3 in that dept and this can seriously overcome weight issues. handling wise it will be tight. also, the AMG auto is very fast.

I personally think the BMW will outhandle the Merc. As for straight line speed, hands down the Merc. The merc almost always comes with toque figures that eclipse even the HP figures of competing cars.

I await to see what Audi has up their sleeves. Hint.... the recent test mule/concept for the lightweight A5. In the past i would laugh but imagine a 3350 lb RS5 with all the same luxury amenities as the s5....

The Pretender
November 4th, 2009, 23:24
I like the Orange. ;)

The Pretender
November 4th, 2009, 23:29
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7G6K-i4soQ

crespo
November 4th, 2009, 23:44
Crespo- the black has so much torque though- kills the M3 in that dept and this can seriously overcome weight issues. handling wise it will be tight. also, the AMG auto is very fast.The Black is a monster, no doubt (my brother in law has one, beastly car, I adore it), but hardcore M3s have a reputation of punching well above their weight class. I think this will be a more of a monster much in the same vein as the CLS.

M3s have always been fast despite their apparent/relative lack in torque, remember..

artur777
November 5th, 2009, 00:02
this car will humiliate clk63 amg for sure
it will be as fast at the track as 997.2 GT3 - just for your notion:-)!!!

the car will be usable as a DD - all the options you lack you can order on it...
the car will be very hardcore and nice...

RXBG
November 5th, 2009, 02:08
well. i'm done being devils advocate. i am not a bmw fan but i also think it willbe faster around the ring than the merc.

as fast as 997.2 GT3? possible- but the car has to give up a lot more (AC) to get there. once you option it with the heavier stuff you've missed the point. this thing has a rollcage, extinguisher, and plexiglass in place of the rear windows. no way you can drive this thing everyday. the GT3 as a daily driver is pushing it. this? no way.

crespo
November 5th, 2009, 05:23
I agree it's a tough sell as a DD. The CLK and GT3 are passable, but this just seems too hardcore. Guess we'll see.

I have a soft spot for hardcore M3s. They embody everything I like about the M division, and have always been track monsters. I have no doubt this car will be blindingly fast, certainly has all the right ingredients, and the pedigree, for it.

It might just make me forget about the X5/6M.....a true return to form by ///M.

crespo
November 5th, 2009, 05:30
I hope for a manual option, though... faster with the DCT, no doubt, but still...

KresoF1
November 5th, 2009, 07:07

Best Regards

Little bit more facts for you:

-very limited production-only available directly from BMW M GmbH HQ in Germany
-115000 EUR with Mwst. in Germany
-it wont be available in Slovenia, Croatia, Hungary etc. since BMW Importers can not import it

KresoF1
November 5th, 2009, 07:13
this car will humiliate clk63 amg for sure
it will be as fast at the track as 997.2 GT3 - just for your notion:-)!!!

the car will be usable as a DD - all the options you lack you can order on it...
the car will be very hardcore and nice...

Read my post above.

1. 7.40min is official BMW M GmbH time for M3 GTS with standard Pirelli Corsa tires. When tested by Sport Auto you can expect that time as fastest possible time. Probably something like 7.42min or something...

2. M3 GTS is very expensive and it CAN NOT be used as DD since options like: rear seats, delete of roll bar, normal seat belts, Navi system etc. are NOT available at all. I have provisional price list and it clearly says-NO options for DD. It is hard core track car for additional drive on public road(from your garage to the tracl!).

Qisha
November 5th, 2009, 08:35
Dear Friends,

to me the BMW M3 GTS is not compareable to regular performance models. As you can read, no airconditioning, no electronic helpers (automatic windows etc.), no Navigation, almost no sound insulation etc.

Interesting part is the engine and the increase in displacement. As the car is tend for racing purpose i would have assumed either the same or even less displacement. Obviously we are looking at more torque and less RPM.

From what is know, more weight is reduced in the rear compartment (Titan Exhaust, no rear seats etc.)

A good thing this has been released... :hihi:

Qisha

artur777
November 5th, 2009, 12:42
Dear Friends,

to me the BMW M3 GTS is not compareable to regular performance models. As you can read, no airconditioning, no electronic helpers (automatic windows etc.), no Navigation, almost no sound insulation etc.

Interesting part is the engine and the increase in displacement. As the car is tend for racing purpose i would have assumed either the same or even less displacement. Obviously we are looking at more torque and less RPM.

From what is know, more weight is reduced in the rear compartment (Titan Exhaust, no rear seats etc.)

A good thing this has been released... :hihi:

Qisha

Absolutely agree - it's time for Audi to release smth to the market like RS5:-) or R8 GT:-)... rgrd the new techs - I think the most interesting from BMW is their one-off BMW M5 CSL which uses some of the techs for the next-generation M5... what do you know abou that, very interesting?

Ruergard
November 5th, 2009, 17:19
This will be way faster than a RS5, but again it's a different type of car. This is a trackthing, not a daily driver.

I think the black will have to move aside as well..

RXBG
November 5th, 2009, 17:49
from Q's last comment- they needed this car to slot above the RS5 since the RS5 will apparently be handing the M3 its ass.

Damienr8
November 5th, 2009, 18:30
from Q's last comment- they needed this car to slot above the RS5 since the RS5 will apparently be handing the M3 its ass.

Let's hope that the new RS5 doesn't command a ridiculous price premium over it's RS4 4-door counterpart. I really don't want to see an 80K-90K RS5

Apart from that.....lets get back on topic. I am glad that BMW released the GTS. I bet those track guys that were a bit disappointed in the current M3 are now happy as hell.

Wonder what the price would be like in the US??? Any ideas?

RXBG
November 5th, 2009, 19:39
i dont think it'll be available in the US. no side airbags. also afaik no US production road car can be sold with a rollcage. i can believe the M3 might get some lightweight options as a limited edition but it would be closer to the regualr M3 than this car.

Erik
November 5th, 2009, 21:07
How is the regular M3 V8 selling in your territory? USA?

I've only seen it on the road a few times, can't be such a huge success really.

The Pretender
November 5th, 2009, 21:33
I haven't seen a new M3 V8 in the real world, never encountered one on he road.

RXBG
November 6th, 2009, 01:56
i've only seen them at meets, and maybe twice/three on the road. have only seen one CTS-V and that car has been out on the road for two years in the USA.

on the other hand, i see an R8 every day ;p

Damienr8
November 6th, 2009, 03:56
I haven't seen a new M3 V8 in the real world, never encountered one on he road.

I must admit that the new M3 is fantastic. I actually like the 2009 sedan with the updated profile. I see quite a bit of them where i work (investment firm district of CT) and they definitely do stand out.

Ruergard
November 6th, 2009, 07:07
I must admit that the new M3 is fantastic. I actually like the 2009 sedan with the updated profile. I see quite a bit of them where i work (investment firm district of CT) and they definitely do stand out.

The sedan looks really good, maybe even better than the coupe.

I've seen a couple of them on streets over here. But it's not like the E46 that you see almost everyday..

The Pretender
November 8th, 2009, 13:49
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7wh2FixhXs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCzDOpVasHM

rks838
November 9th, 2009, 21:42
I was just about to post part 2 of that. I heard the music at first and thought, "this is going to be tacky," but by the end...ummm...I wanted one. Yea go ahead, shoot me :hahahehe: The slow-motion shots at 0:54 and 2:30 are what does it.

The Pretender
November 9th, 2009, 21:54
The Orange is just awesome.

Silvant
November 11th, 2009, 21:26
and they couldnt be more original than biting the colors/style of the gt3rs? sad.

Benman
November 11th, 2009, 22:11
i've only seen them at meets, and maybe twice/three on the road

I've seen a butt load, but then, that is So Cal for you. ;) :D

Ben:addict:

7:53 RS6
November 23rd, 2009, 23:27
and they couldnt be more original than biting the colors/style of the gt3rs? sad.

Ever seen a 70s BMW 2002?:hahahehe:

itisme
November 24th, 2009, 14:11
Ever seen a 70s BMW 2002?:hahahehe:

well done :applause:

QuattroFun
November 28th, 2009, 18:29
Sounds good and nice ride overall I am sure - but I will not swap my M3 coupe for this one. More power is always nice and I am sure its is brilliant on the track despite its still bloated weight, but it is not exactly a looker with that terrible wing and with no rear seats it is useless as an everyday machine. Shame about no CSL E92 then.

Erik
July 14th, 2010, 08:44
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/254389/bmw_m3_gts_review.html

But it struggles for traction next to the Porsche, doesn’t steer as sweetly and isn’t as fast - in a straight line or in terms of lap time. I found myself enjoying it immensely because it takes that age-old M3 trick - being able to carve a neat line one lap and then providing hilarious, smokey slides the next - and moves it a stage further. The nagging doubt remains though, that a BMW M3 Competition with a half cage, some sticky rubber, new suspension, bigger brakes, some noisy pipes and a re-map mightn’t be all that different. And the work wouldn’t cost £50k to complete.

Ruergard
July 14th, 2010, 10:27
I would get myself a 911 instead...

Fab
July 14th, 2010, 17:52
I would get myself a 911 instead...me too ;-)

Sims
July 14th, 2010, 18:30
I would get myself a 911 instead...

although the BMW will drive well, the Porsche has got to be the obvious choice.

Ruergard
July 15th, 2010, 10:27
me too ;-)

Ah, Shut up! ;)

audi_ch
July 20th, 2010, 09:33

guess you were wrong on this one specialy on the sport auto comparison on track, the m3 is faster
m3 is as well faster on stright line.....

we love audi but bmw is not that bad