PDA

View Full Version : Right front shock blow out

uncfrk
November 2nd, 2009, 18:51
only 1200 miles after DRC repair. I'm 250 miles from home when things don't seem right (actually pretty scary). Fluid was coming out and plastered on the side of the car. It had to be brake fluid or hydraulic fluid. Since the brakes still worked and the car wanted to go every direction but straight over, ever small bumps, I assume its the left front shock. I'm wondering if I should have an indy look before I take it to the Dealer?

LIRS6
November 2nd, 2009, 21:35
Ugh, that really sux ... front shock loss of fluid means opposite side rear had no pressure either, hence the erratic behavior. The more that I read here about "the repair" the more I am convinced that I should just stay with my present set-up (Stasis). Good luck.

mmaturo
November 2nd, 2009, 21:36
only 1200 miles after DRC repair. I'm 250 miles from home when things don't seem right (actually pretty scary). Fluid was coming out and plastered on the side of the car. It had to be brake fluid or hydraulic fluid. Since the brakes still worked and the car wanted to go every direction but straight over, ever small bumps, I assume its the left front shock. I'm wondering if I should have an indy look before I take it to the Dealer?

Straight to the dealer and rather pissed off. Sounds like the line rather than the shock for that much fluid down the side of the car.

uncfrk
November 2nd, 2009, 21:45
I'm not too anxious to drive the car another 250 miles to Minneapolis. I'm hoping they come to get it. (as long as I don't have to pay)

DHall1
November 3rd, 2009, 02:04
Get your flashlight out.

Start car and turn steering wheel to the left all the way.

Get out and look into the LF wheel well.

You will see the strut. Just under the spring seat about 4 inches from the bottom of the strut you will see where the fluid line bolts to the strut.

See if its broken.

Then report back here

I'm not too anxious to drive the car another 250 miles to Minneapolis. I'm hoping they come to get it. (as long as I don't have to pay)

DHall1
November 3rd, 2009, 02:05
On another note.

IF THE LF STRUT HAS LOST FLUID FOR WHATEVER REASON.

YOU MUST REPLACE THE LF STRUT, RR STRUT AND CENTRAL VALVE. NO EXCEPTIONS.

HighCountryRS6
November 3rd, 2009, 02:44
I had a very similar issue. At about 32k miles it started clunking at the left footwell. Turned out to be the shock. They replaced the LF & RR and all was well. 1000 miles later there's oil all over the floor. Just got the recall notice on the originals and the rs6 team at Audi said they will reimburse my expence for the original repair - yet to be worked out, but they were very cool about the issue.

uncfrk
November 3rd, 2009, 16:13
It's ok. I'll get a better look tonight when I have the wheels off for brakes.

uncfrk
November 4th, 2009, 04:02
It appears that the hex bolt holding the square block to the side of the shock is not tight. Either not torqued properly or starting to strip the threads.

mmaturo
November 4th, 2009, 04:55
It appears that the hex bolt holding the square block to the side of the shock is not tight. Either not torqued properly or starting to strip the threads.

bingo. sux. To me they should come get it for that hassle that does appear to be their error. And your car obviously is handling terribly or dangerously to drive back the distance.

DHall1
November 4th, 2009, 04:57
Yep, most likely mechanic error.

Now make sure the above are replaced. The 2 struts and the central valve.

You may want to call AoA as well. The dealer really needs to eat this but may want to stick it to Audi. Its not Audi's fault.

uncfrk
November 4th, 2009, 22:04
Does anyone have a good contact at AoA?

Spidercat
November 5th, 2009, 00:17
Does anyone have a good contact at AoA?

A8/RS6 members hotline: