PDA

View Full Version : Milltek Downpipes- Should I do it?

MaxRS6
November 1st, 2009, 14:15
I am considering the Milltek downpipes as the motor and tranny are currently out of the car and this is an opportune time to do this. My thoughts are to stay with the OEM SE exhaust. I have the APR tune, tranny being rebuilt by IPT, and the car has 116K miles.

I've read through some of the threads and would like current comments and input from the RS6.com brain trust.

TIA

Trebor
November 1st, 2009, 14:45
With OUT question - YES

Ruergard
November 1st, 2009, 15:07
I'd say go for it, perfect time for it. :thumb:

snoopra
November 1st, 2009, 15:31
+3. You'll be glad you did!

hahnmgh63
November 1st, 2009, 16:56
I'd say go for it or do the Labree downpipes as I think they are cheaper and supposedly Labree has a very good reputation. With Milltek your paying a lot for the name. Unless you want a much different sound I'd stick with the stock exhaust. I don't think the exhaust is restrictive, just the cats in the downpipes.

DHall1
November 1st, 2009, 17:00
100% YES

Milltek or Labree which ever fits the stock cat back better.

IMHO you dont need any catback but the downpipes will make a nice boost.

Did you take the whole car over to IPT? Lets us know how that goes.

MaxRS6
November 1st, 2009, 23:34
100% YES

Milltek or Labree which ever fits the stock cat back better.

IMHO you dont need any catback but the downpipes will make a nice boost.

Did you take the whole car over to IPT? Lets us know how that goes.

IPT. They received it last week and have begun the rebuild. Updates to follow:incar:

melsas
November 2nd, 2009, 00:34
There was a discussion here that gutting the stock pre-cats provided the same increase in performance as replacing the downpipes with aftermarket units.

MaxRS6
November 3rd, 2009, 00:23
everyone for the input and comments! :incar:

peiserg
November 3rd, 2009, 03:28
guess ill be the lone dissenter. good idea, but way overpriced. I have the milltek full exhaust.. got it for $4300 and damn it looks nice... but $4300 in performance? Nope. I actually LOST power down low, and gained about 15hp high in the rev range. hardly worth $5k in purchase price + install fee.

I'd say go for one of the other free flowing DP manufacturers. lower priced.

MaxRS6
November 3rd, 2009, 03:35
guess ill be the lone dissenter. good idea, but way overpriced. I have the milltek full exhaust.. got it for $4300 and damn it looks nice... but $4300 in performance? Nope. I actually LOST power down low, and gained about 15hp high in the rev range. hardly worth $5k in purchase price + install fee.

I found a good deal on the Millteks. As the motor is already out, the dp install fee is next to zero. I'll only have about $2k invested to get this done.

MarkusRS6
November 4th, 2009, 10:17

did you have your ECU adjusted as well when you installed this?

Shoppinit
November 5th, 2009, 16:50
The stock downpipes and exhaust are tuned to optimise scavenging. If you change an element you run the risk of losing torque low - especially at low gas throughputs.

If you remap so that you're pushing more cubes through the whole system, you'll see the benefit. But then, if you tuned the system to the new set-up you'd get even more gains, if you see what I mean.

Shoppinit
November 5th, 2009, 16:50
Don't forget to change the O2 sensors while the engine is out.