PDA

View Full Version : Front license plate mounting

uncfrk
October 27th, 2009, 21:34
I'm having trouble figuring out what to do about mounting my front license plate. I don't really want it to protrude down and obstruct cooling in any way. Last week-end, I copied the plate, reducing the image to 85%. I trimmed the reduced copy to 4.5" height, & proportionally the right length. It fits under the top lip of the bumper & just comes to the lower edge. It looks pretty good. You don't really notice the reduced size so much as long as other normal sized plates are not near by. I stopped by a local sign maker to have the decal made up They wouldn't do it. Thought it might not be legal. I just finished searching for information and came across the Lamboghini forum. Apparently, this has been an issue with their cars. Most just don't run the front plate and haven't had any problems. I'm sure that won't be the case in Iowa. Any ideas???

Boost+V8=:)
October 27th, 2009, 21:50
Ive been pulled over many times without the front plate and its really a 50/50 chance that they are going to say something. Its a 200 dollar ticket here in VA but its really easy to get it dismissed.

DuckWingDuck
October 27th, 2009, 22:09
ya, with the economic downturn, cops have more of an incentive to pull you over even if it just to give you that fix it ticket... In CA, it's a $15 ticket.

And you're right, you cannot "remanufacture" a license plate as it is considered state property.

That said, there are lots of states that don't require a front plate, but if you got 2 plates from your local DMV, then you might be SOL in terms of not wanting to put on the front plate.

bruce
October 27th, 2009, 22:43
Just carry the front one in the trunk. If you get stopped, just tell 'em you lost a screw and it was falling off, you thought it would be dangerous if it fell off on the highway, so you just took it off and you were on your way to the hardware store to get the new screw so you could get it "right back on"!!

DuckWingDuck
October 27th, 2009, 22:48
ROFL. Great effin' idea!!!!

Spidercat
October 28th, 2009, 02:18
Or you could try this:

http://www.rs6.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8707&stc=1&d=1256696136

http://www.rs6.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8708&stc=1&d=1256696136

http://www.rs6.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8709&stc=1&d=1256696136

It's not for me, but just a thought. I just don't run a front plate and will pay the piper if it comes up. To find the above, search podi skid plate on google or other Audi forums if you're interested.

bfly
October 28th, 2009, 13:52
Or you could try this:

<snip>

It's not for me, but just a thought. I just don't run a front plate and will pay the piper if it comes up. To find the above, search podi skid plate on google or other Audi forums if you're interested.

FWIW, those license plate mounts screw into the tow hook mount. On the RS6 that is located next to the fog lamp on the right side. A mount like that would cause some air flow issues for the right intercooler.

BenA
October 28th, 2009, 14:17
I'm having trouble figuring out what to do about mounting my front license plate. I don't really want it to protrude down and obstruct cooling in any way. Last week-end, I copied the plate, reducing the image to 85%. I trimmed the reduced copy to 4.5" height, & proportionally the right length. It fits under the top lip of the bumper & just comes to the lower edge. It looks pretty good. You don't really notice the reduced size so much as long as other normal sized plates are not near by. I stopped by a local sign maker to have the decal made up They wouldn't do it. Thought it might not be legal. I just finished searching for information and came across the Lamboghini forum. Apparently, this has been an issue with their cars. Most just don't run the front plate and haven't had any problems. I'm sure that won't be the case in Iowa. Any ideas???

Hey uncfrk:
Great to hear about another RS6 in the "flyover states." Being from Iowa and now living in South Dakota, I had the same conundrum. My concern wasn't cooling (I can't imagine Audi would design the factory front plate holder and place it where they do if it was really going to have a significant impact on cooling - plus I've had my car on a track a few times and cooling was definitely the least of my issues) but my car didn't come with the front license plate holder (which is a $400 part!!). In the end I decided to make the purchase and do it right... maybe I would have never been pulled over, but why give the Iowa State Patrol another reason. Also, depending on your luck... I'd hate for them to choose to pull you over for no front plate after you've had a few beers.

snoopra
October 29th, 2009, 05:03
Someone suggested double sided tape, no holes in bumper this way. You can have your reduced "plate" laminated, then stick on with double sided tape:)

uncfrk
October 29th, 2009, 16:53
I'll post pictures as soon as I have time. (Fatherinlaw passed away - funeral yesterday in Omaha)

Spidercat
October 29th, 2009, 19:26
I tried the double-sided 3M tape, but would not suggest it for a regular plate and frame. It fell off, but I wasn't moving at the time, so no biggie. Hpwever, a reduced plate would probably work, since I guess you could just replace it, and it's also light weight.

Just curious, it that laminated card stock like a temp plate, or plastic?

uncfrk
October 29th, 2009, 23:03
vinyl like the race cars have. weighs about a gram.

uncfrk
November 4th, 2009, 15:39
see pictures

DonS
November 4th, 2009, 15:45
Very slick. It looks like something one could order from the state. Nice work!

GBG
November 6th, 2009, 02:12
Or you could try this:

http://www.rs6.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8707&stc=1&d=1256696136

http://www.rs6.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8708&stc=1&d=1256696136

http://www.rs6.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8709&stc=1&d=1256696136

Wow, that is God-awful looking! Brings more attention to the ugly plate instead of less. I ride without a front plate with plate in car in case I'm ever stopped. So far no problems.

Bigglezworth
November 6th, 2009, 04:45
We don't have front plates here in Alberta. Haven't had them for almost 20 years.