PDA

View Full Version : DRC: happy ending

GBG
October 22nd, 2009, 01:15
New shocks and new valves. The car was not bled properly at first, but also apparently the valves were the culperit, allowing air in and out indiscriminately. Finally the car looks and drives as it should. :love2:

DHall1
October 22nd, 2009, 01:46
Gary,

I hope my contact at Audi was of help.

Now your cars sits perfect. Really makes those rims look good.

Could you take a few profile pics down the side of the car to look at how they fill the wheel arches? And what rims were they again? size and brand?

Looks good. :0:

MaxRS6
October 22nd, 2009, 02:49
Congrats on the outcome!

Spidercat
October 22nd, 2009, 02:53
Would you mind posting your ride height F/R center cap to wheel arch?
Glad it worked out for you.

GBG
October 22nd, 2009, 03:19
DHall,

You've been a great help, thank you. Your contact at Audi wasn't necessary, but all of the info you provided on the various thread was a great help. I went to the dealer knowing more about the issue than they did. Thanks pal. :cheers:

My rear is now 4mm higher than the front (front is stock height approx 14-1/8" from center of wheel cap), which is within the acceptable range.

My rims are 19" R8 knock-offs (spacers needed). They're inexpensive ($650) but have held up very well, even with the crappy roads in my neck of the woods (I'm knocking on wood right now). http://www.powerwheelspro.com/shop/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=79&osCsid=a478ac6ff41fb8d5b4e3c190c66f7db6. I use the stock 18s in the winter with Blizzaks.

I'll post another pic of profile soon as requested. GBG

DHall1
October 22nd, 2009, 04:35
I love it when a plan results in a good outcome.

Your ride height is perfect.

freebase
October 28th, 2009, 05:25
GBG,

I have the same problem you did with your DRC. When I got the car back from the shock replacement, my RS was sitting jacked up in the back. Of course, I told the service tech that the repair was not right. I took the car anyway, because I couldn't be without a car for any longer. Called AoA, sent pictures, and they agreed for me to take it back to the same dealer and they would send the regional RS tech there.

I brought the car back and his first glance was 'the suspension has to settle'. I didn't buy that and he said that they wanted to keep the car for a day or two to check it out. AoA (Andrew) came back with the spec. of 360mm +/- 10mm from the wheel C/L to the fender.

I measured that and took a picture and sent it to him.

He then, told me that there are 3 different springs sets that could come on the car and may have different ride heights. Ultimately, he was doing anything not to fix the problem. He came back with all the springs being the same size.

Meanwhile AoA talked with the dealer and told AoA that the suspension was done correctly and that it was the same ride height as 3 other RS6's on the lot (that they also "fixed").

Andrew at AoA called me back and told me that the regional tech checked the car and the dealer performed the work correctly. I asked him about the ride height and he repeated the same thing. "The dealer did the job correctly." I.E. You're SOL.

SO! Does anyone know which dealer in NJ/NYC actually knows how to fix it right?

(Sorry for the long winded post)

DHall1
October 28th, 2009, 05:33
What is your measurement on the front and rear?

Center hub to fender lip?

GBG,

I have the same problem you did with your DRC. When I got the car back from the shock replacement, my RS was sitting jacked up in the back. Of course, I told the service tech that the repair was not right. I took the car anyway, because I couldn't be without a car for any longer. Called AoA, sent pictures, and they agreed for me to take it back to the same dealer and they would send the regional RS tech there.

I brought the car back and his first glance was 'the suspension has to settle'. I didn't buy that and he said that they wanted to keep the car for a day or two to check it out. AoA (Andrew) came back with the spec. of 360mm +/- 10mm from the wheel C/L to the fender.

He then, told me that there are 3 different springs sets that could come on the car and may have different ride heights. Ultimately, he was doing anything not to fix the problem. He came back with all the springs being the same size.

Meanwhile AoA talked with the dealer and told AoA that the suspension was done correctly and that it was the same ride height as 3 other RS6's on the lot (that they also "fixed").

Andrew at AoA called me back and told me that the regional tech checked the car and the dealer performed the work correctly. I asked him about the ride height and he repeated the same thing. "The dealer did the job correctly." I.E. You're SOL.

freebase
October 28th, 2009, 05:46
DHall,

The rear measures 14.875" and the front is 14.25".

DHall1
October 28th, 2009, 05:57
That is just a tad high in the rear and front.

How does the DRC perform? Working well?

I would have the control arm bolts released while the car is on an alignment rack with full weight on the arms. Then bounce the car and finally torque to spec.

That seems to have helped many members with high a$$es

Good luck

DHall,

The rear measures 14.875" and the front is 14.25".

freebase
October 28th, 2009, 06:26
Dhall,

The dealer 'claimed' to have loosened the control arms and re-tighten under the weight of the car. I also forgot to mention in my first post that when I got the car back, the dealer forgot to connect the swaybar back on the rear right. I heard it clanking while driving.

I do know someone that owns a shop that I could have them put it up on a lift to loosen/tighten the control arms. It would require an alignment after that wouldn't it?

The car rides a little softer that expected but I'm not sure. I had PSS9's for a while because the DRC was totally shot. I also replaced all of the upper control arms/bushings in the front as well as both front bearings as the front tires were rubbing the bearing mounts. The steering is now as tight as the day I got it.

GBG
October 28th, 2009, 12:39
GBG,

I finally got mine done right at New Country Audi in Greenwich. If you go, ask for Sal. My issue was system not bled properly AND bad valves in DRC suspension that were not releasing air properly. Good luck!