PDA

View Full Version : Tranny gone- I am currently considering IPT

MaxRS6
October 20th, 2009, 14:46
for the replacement.

I would like current thoughts/input/suggestions on pros/cons of going this route.

TIA

Erik
October 20th, 2009, 15:55
Sorry what does IPT mean?

DuckWingDuck
October 20th, 2009, 16:38
IPT: http://www.importperformancetrans.com/

Hy Octane
October 20th, 2009, 19:06
Dont see one for the RS6..

DuckWingDuck
October 20th, 2009, 19:09
there was talk of a group buy at some point, I think it was IPT....

Hy Octane
October 20th, 2009, 20:00
For the record, I was given a new rebuilt tranny a few weeks ago from the factory and already its acting up.. getting a violent bang when downshifting from 5th to 4th after cruising in 5th at speed on the fwys for awhile.
I doubt there has ever been a car built by such a respected company that has had so many faulty poorly manufactured parts as this RS6..
I have spent 6 years trying to make this car reliable and now it cant stay out of the shop for more than 2-3 weeks at a time.
Why me?

mmaturo
October 20th, 2009, 20:32
For the record, I was given a new rebuilt tranny a few weeks ago from the factory and already its acting up.. getting a violent bang when downshifting from 5th to 4th after cruising in 5th at speed on the fwys for awhile.
I doubt there has ever been a car built by such a respected company that has had so many faulty poorly manufactured parts as this RS6..
I have spent 6 years trying to make this car reliable and now it cant stay out of the shop for more than 2-3 weeks at a time.
Why me?

You are not alone my friend. My Jan thru Aug was every 3 weeks for 2 to 3 weeks stay at a time. And all of July. I keep asking the same when on other forums most RS6s seem relatively trouble free. Tranny number 3 is holding out so far 6 months no issues but honestly doesn't feel much different past first gear from number 2. Nothing violent happening though.

I am happy that i made it a full 2 months now with nothing. However now i need regular maintenance of oil change and finally do the 75K belt later this month.

DHall1
October 20th, 2009, 20:42
Its been years since mine has had a problem.

DRC recall once this summer and that's it.

Dont anyone dare say I baby my car either. Ask John, Ben, Ben and Greg.

I would even say Audi is making money on my Fidelity purchase.

:bigeyes:

Why me?

AudiRS4ever
October 20th, 2009, 22:02

I've always said the RS6 is the equivalent of the BMW 850. One of my best friends is the foreman at a BMW dealership and he has told me time and time again that if I get one he'll never work on it. Pretty bad, but what beautiful car. Anyway, sorry for all of the problems you're having.

ben916
October 20th, 2009, 23:14
Why me?

Gasoline solves everything, right?

p3u
October 21st, 2009, 00:32
I've actually been talking with IPT, I think I may end up having them redo my tranny.

Carbon ceramic clutch in the torque convertor, increased valve body pressure, increase in volume oil pump flows, modifications to the tranny housing to further increase oil flow to vital parts, cryo treating all of the internals, etc....

I was thinking this is way more then I need, but with what they do it is a "bullet proof" tranny, which I think would be awsome to never have to worry about it going from power braking, hard driving and such.

Price wasn't too bad either for them to do all of the work, I'm going to ship them my car so they can do their magic.

DuckWingDuck
October 21st, 2009, 04:36
mind letting us know what the total damage is?

Benman
October 21st, 2009, 19:23
Dont anyone dare say I baby my car either. Ask John, Ben, Ben and Greg.

He does not baby his car. :D

Nor do I. But having said that, Paul IS harsher on his :rs6kiss: than I am. :cheers:

Ben:addict:

ben916
October 21st, 2009, 20:06
Dont anyone dare say I baby my car either.
Ask John, Ben, Ben and Greg.

tempting to dare.....

What I do remember is that the right side mirror in Couser Canyon had a "Objects are closer" blah blah and it was full of Dave's grill....

HeadShot
October 21st, 2009, 20:29
Very interested in more details on this.. A list of exactly what is done, and price / time.
I would feel nervous about having them hold the car - the engine needs to be dropped to get the tranny out right??
Keep us posted on all the details - maybe you can ask they take pics of the operation for you .. id love to see what goes into this.

Good luck. If this goes well i think i'll consider this next years big spend up.

DHall1
October 21st, 2009, 20:42
:race:

:incar:

And this was me behind the wheel. :w:

Too funny

tempting to dare.....

What I do remember is that the right side mirror in Couser Canyon had a "Objects are closer" blah blah and it was full of Dave's grill....

ben916
October 21st, 2009, 22:17
http://routingbyrumor.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/objects-in-mirror.jpg

not quite but you get the idea..

p3u
October 22nd, 2009, 01:33
Very interested in more details on this.. A list of exactly what is done, and price / time.
I would feel nervous about having them hold the car - the engine needs to be dropped to get the tranny out right??
Keep us posted on all the details - maybe you can ask they take pics of the operation for you .. id love to see what goes into this.

Good luck. If this goes well i think i'll consider this next years big spend up.

They can remove the tranny without dropping the motor.

Total cost is $5950, including removal and instalation of tranny. :0: