PDA

View Full Version : It's finally here!

JP4
August 27th, 2003, 06:22
Well....I finally have the keys in hand. I must have been disoriented from all the excitement because the 12 mile drive home ended up being just over 70 miles! Can you imagine that! I'm coming from a 2000 A6 4.2 so the comparison for me was quite interesting. Just about every change between the 2 cars was far the better IMO. Let's start with the initial walk around. I like the brushed aluminum trim better than the polished trim on the exterior. The much lower stance, rear valance with oval pipes (sport exhaust), and lower front air intakes make this baby look like it means business. I'm VERY happy with the clean up of the rocker panels. That part of the sides of the car looks much better now and the new design will reduce some of the junk that gets thrown up on the sides of the car. The RS6 sill plates are very nice. The grade of leather for the seats and the lateral support are very good for my physique. Won't be sliding around so much any more. The carbon fiber trim (which I had some doubts about originally) really works well in this car (Daytona gray, gray/silver int.). Doesn't like "ricey" at all to me. The contrasting colors of the interior are very well done too. Hope the light colored seats aren't to hard to keep clean. The battery in the trunk SUCKS (I miss all the room the 4.2 had there). The shark fin on the roof SUCKS (I guess they couldn't get the trunk mounted antenna to work like they had on the 4.2). I had the NAV system with the 4.2 and I thought it was pretty lame that they only gave you 1 area CD for the database. They should have the whole thing converted by now to DVD like many others are doing but I will say this...on the RS6 with NAV they included a portfolio of all the CD's for North America and YES that includes a good chunk of Canada too. Nice touch Audi! I like the new design of the rear seat armrest, the way that it stores the first aid kit and the much more functional cup holders (even if they may never be used.) The way the side view mirrors fold all the way back is interesting. I may actually use that some time!

Finally driving impressions. Max speed on the way home was 80 mph. Max rpm on the way home was 4800. WOW....way cool....this car rides amazingly comfortably for the way it corners so flat. 3 cheers for DRC...it really works well. The 4.2 (I had standard suspension with the rear sport sway bar added) really had quite a bit of push. The RS6 has much less push. It's much easier to point and shoot. It feels lighter on it's feet for sure. You guys are absolutely right. It takes a lot of self control to keep things in the break in range. I managed to never get further into the throttle than about 1/2 way. The Xenon plus headlights and high beams are considerably better than the 4.2's. And I liked the 4.2's lights.

Concern....Right after I left the dealer pulling out onto the main street from a dead stop with about 1/4 throttle, as the engine rpm reached ~3000 I heard a quite noticable whooshing sound. As soon as I let off the throttle it went away and when I added the throttle again it came back at exactly the same rpm. I've owned 2 other turbo charged charged vehicles and I've never heard anything like this. I don't know if it's a diverter valve stuck upon, a cracked air hose associated with the blowers or just what it is. I would have turned around immediately but the dealer was already closed as I was there after hours by the time the delivery was done. I'll have it checked very soon but wondered if others had noticed this?

Hope I didn't bore the heck out of you folks. But I just had to let all this pent up energy out on some folks that might actually be interested. ;)

JP4 :addict: :addict: :addict:

eph94
August 27th, 2003, 06:53
Welcome to the club!! I still have under 200 miles on my Beast, and I want to drive it around for another week or so before I write-up my impressions. I can say this though: coming out of a 540i, the RS6 is a quantum leap, even in the luxo-cruising category. It handles rough pavement with aplomb and is not bone jarring at all--and this was my greatest concern about the car.

:addict:

Erik
August 27th, 2003, 08:39
Congratulations!

The battery in the trunk gives you better weight balance ;)

avdh
August 27th, 2003, 09:05
Congrats, thank for the report

JP4
August 27th, 2003, 12:04
Originally posted by Erik
Congratulations!

The battery in the trunk gives you better weight balance ;)

THAT'S what I keep telling myself! :rolleyes:

JP4

Finnus
August 27th, 2003, 13:05
JP4,

Congratulations & welcome to the club! :cheers: Thanks for your impressions - the comparo is appreciated.

Finnus :cheers:

:addict: :addict: :addict:

Snow
August 27th, 2003, 13:47
Yeah, that's a great report. I really hope that there is no problem concerning that wooshie sound you hear. Kepp us posted on that one!

And most of all, enjoy your car to the max! :addict: :0:

TheBrit
August 27th, 2003, 13:52
Congratulations! If turning off the aircon doesn't sort that noise out, then I'd probably agree with your diagnosis of a potential stuck DV.

Hope you get it sorted out soon.

Benman
August 27th, 2003, 16:17
CONGRATS JP4:cheers: ,

there's nothing quite like taking delivery is there. Hope the noise gets sorted out. another person on this board noted there was another noise (more of a whining than what your desrcibing) and that would also come on while accelerating. That noise sounds like unshielded stereo wires (heard the same thing in mine). Yours doesn't sound like the normal whoosh? Cause this baby gets pretty loud:D :cheers:

Ben:addict: :addict:

Bauer
August 27th, 2003, 16:56
J4P-

Congratulations on the delivery of your new RS6 and thanks for the write up. I agree with you about the battery but I also understand that it helps balance out the car and really thats my only complaint....which is almost not worth mentioning. Enjoy the car to its fullist and keep the stories comming.

Bauer
03 RS6
01 S8
92 S4

RS6FEVR
August 27th, 2003, 17:35
:cheers: and congrats JP4

I concur with the previous thanks and comparo's. You're absolutely right, I for one definitely care! Look forward to further impressions after break-in ;) ;)

I agree about that battery space waste, but, did find that I can stuff the Nav CD package and my quick detail package beside it and have them held in place! :p :p

Have not had the "whooshing noise" you describe, but this is my first turbo car. I hear some interior cabin resonance around 1500 1600 rpm that is a bit annoying, but, that's really the only "sound" issue I have. The rest of the sounds are awesome!

:addict: FEVR :addict:

JP4
August 28th, 2003, 13:13
The mistery whooshing noise has been diagnosed and corrected. It was a heavy ~3" rubber hose with a big hose clamp that attachs to the back side of the intercooler that was very loose. the clamp wasn't even actually over the end of the hose but it was there. The noise went away as soon as the Audi tech clamped it in place. And the BEST part is that the whoosing noise was apparently most of the boost for the left side cylinders that was escaping. Since I didn't no any difference the car seemed to perform great compared to the A6 4.2 but with full boost available, even at break-in engine speed....oh my gosh....the extra boost is amazing!

BTW- still haven't been over 5000 rpm and 80 mph. 200 miles on the ODO.

Went to one of my fave twisty 2 lane roads yesterday after boost was restored. MAN.... was that fun or what. I don't think I've had this much fun with my pants on since my first driving school at Road America! :D :D :D

JP4 :cheers:

TheBrit
August 28th, 2003, 14:18
Originally posted by JP4
The mistery whooshing noise has been diagnosed and corrected.
Good news! :0:

Benman
August 28th, 2003, 18:21
That's good news JP4! Glad to hear all is well!:cheers:
ENJOY!

Ben:addict: