PDA

View Full Version : DRC Recall in Middle East

vangelis
October 15th, 2009, 07:25
I'm glad to say that FINALLY Audi dealer in Abu Dhabi (because in Dubai is different dealer although same country) has confirmed that they have scheduled next week to replace whole DRC with a brand new imporved DRC shocks (CV not included) and with this I will be the first in middle east :) after long longgg time of fights with them and with Audi Middle East in Dubai. They said also that I'll get a 1 year warranty on DRC after repair as Audi Germany recently extended the warranty from 2 years to 6 years on suspension for RS6 cars only, as per CEO here told me. So, he told me that DRC is covered 6 years now from date of purchase brand new back in 2004 or 3, this mean mine is covered till 7/2010 or upto 150,000 km which comes first. This is also applied globally, so better to check at your dealer.

I will arrange to post photos for the car after repair and also the part numbers for the parts used :0:

THANKS AUDII :addict:

hahnmgh63
October 15th, 2009, 14:46
Sounds like what we just got this past summer in the U.S. Recheck the forums on what has happened over here about the ride height and keep an eye on yours. Measure prior to taking it it and when you get it back. Good luck.

DHall1
October 15th, 2009, 15:50
Please make sure one of the following procedures are followed.

1. 4 struts and both central valves are replaced and the dealer staff know how to properly bleed the lines and fill the shocks before install.

2. 4 struts are replaced and the new special tool is used to properly bleed and repressure the system.

Those are the only ways to get a proper DRC repair.

I'm glad to say that FINALLY Audi dealer in Abu Dhabi (because in Dubai is different dealer although same country) has confirmed that they have scheduled next week to replace whole DRC with a brand new imporved DRC shocks (CV not included) and with this I will be the first in middle east :) after long longgg time of fights with them and with Audi Middle East in Dubai. They said also that I'll get a 1 year warranty on DRC after repair as Audi Germany recently extended the warranty from 2 years to 6 years on suspension for RS6 cars only, as per CEO here told me. So, he told me that DRC is covered 6 years now from date of purchase brand new back in 2004 or 3, this mean mine is covered till 7/2010 or upto 150,000 km which comes first. This is also applied globally, so better to check at your dealer.

I will arrange to post photos for the car after repair and also the part numbers for the parts used :0:

THANKS AUDII :addict:

vangelis
October 15th, 2009, 19:52
I've bought already 4 new struts to replace them while DRC repair, but dealer said that 2 central valves does not need replace and even part number is the same and no new CVs, and since mine as working fine (as they said), only shocks need replace.

DHall1
October 15th, 2009, 20:02
^^

I will repeat the only 2 methods to correctly repair a DRC.

So, your saying two things.

1. Your not going to replace the central valves because the dealer said no need.

2. Ok fine. Does the dealer have the latest special tool to bleed and repressure the lines?

And 3...I lied above. How do you know your struts are the updated versions? Yes, they are the same pn but how do you KNOW they are the updated struts?

Please make sure one of the following procedures are followed.

1. 4 struts and both central valves are replaced and the dealer staff know how to properly bleed the lines and fill the shocks before install.

2. 4 struts are replaced and the new special tool is used to properly bleed and repressure the system.

Those are the only ways to get a proper DRC repair.

vangelis
October 15th, 2009, 20:05
Sorry , a dumb question, but struts is the shocks? or the top cap between the body and the shock?

DHall1
October 15th, 2009, 23:51
The shock is part of the strut assembly.

Sorry , a dumb question, but struts is the shocks? or the top cap between the body and the shock?

hahnmgh63
October 16th, 2009, 01:21
Generally considered Struts in the front if it is a Mcpherson design (shock part of the upper suspension load bearing like ours) and shocks in the rear.

vangelis
October 28th, 2009, 07:27
So my car is on imporved DRC now, but I feel its little bit high at the end. I'm not sure so i've attached some photos here. Please check and give me your opinions so i can go back if its not done right. Also I've attached some photos from the shocks part#s.

hahnmgh63
October 28th, 2009, 11:21
It definitely looks high in the rear to me. Try to measure from the middle of the wheel hub to the bottom of the fender lip and post those measurements front and rear.

vangelis
October 28th, 2009, 11:44
Thanks Roy, I will do that but Is it make any difference if the wheels is 19" not 18"?? I have MTM 19x9 wheels.

MaxRS6
October 28th, 2009, 12:21
The 2009065 pic definitely looks way high- Was Fat Albert sitting on the front end when this pic was taken?

hahnmgh63
October 28th, 2009, 16:16
Measuring from the center of the hub should be the same for all cars regardless of wheel/tire diameter. If we measured from the road then wheel/tire diameter would have an effect.

vangelis
October 28th, 2009, 16:56
Measuring from the center of the hub should be the same for all cars regardless of wheel/tire diameter. If we measured from the road then wheel/tire diameter would have an effect.

mmmm ... sure??? Ok i will get it measured and let you know.

vangelis
October 28th, 2009, 17:10
Ok , here its .... Front 14.17 and rear 15.27 :doh: :vgrumpy:

hahnmgh63
October 29th, 2009, 04:42
Looks like almost a full inch to high in the rear. Should only be slightly higher than the fronts.

vangelis
October 29th, 2009, 05:12
yeah,, so what is the exact recommended highet for front and rear please? I will take it to the dealer today if possible, so i want this to verify before i take it.

DHall1
October 29th, 2009, 15:42
Always trust the eyes of RS6.com.

Always

Ok , here its .... Front 14.17 and rear 15.27 :doh: :vgrumpy:

DHall1
October 29th, 2009, 15:45
Its in the last 10 threads on this subject.

Fronts 14 1/8 inch
Rears 14 1/2 inch

Most common errors by the dealer.

1. Not bleeding the air out of the shocks.
2. Not using the new special tool properly.
3. Not allowing the car to settle before torque is set on all the control arms.

As my post way up says....make damn sure the dealer has the new special tool that has the mechanical pumping device that bleeds and adds pressure properly. If the dealer does not have the latest special tool your wasting time.

yeah,, so what is the exact recommended highet for front and rear please? I will take it to the dealer today if possible, so i want this to verify before i take it.

DHall1
November 7th, 2009, 19:07
Vangelis,

Here is your thread. Can you answer the points below?

Did the dealer have the new special tool?
Did the dealer follow the directions for the hand pump procedure to bleed and repressure the system?
Did the dealer allow the car to settle on the ground before the final torque on the control arms? This has been a common failure point to leave the rear ends too high.
Did the dealer call Audi to confirm the diagnosis of the CV?
Why EXACTLY is the dealer saying the CVs need to be changed? What has failed in the CV operation?

Its in the last 10 threads on this subject.

Fronts 14 1/8 inch
Rears 14 1/2 inch

Most common errors by the dealer.

1. Not bleeding the air out of the shocks.
2. Not using the new special tool properly.
3. Not allowing the car to settle before torque is set on all the control arms.

As my post way up says....make damn sure the dealer has the new special tool that has the mechanical pumping device that bleeds and adds pressure properly. If the dealer does not have the latest special tool your wasting time.

vangelis
November 7th, 2009, 20:08
Vangelis,

Here is your thread. Can you answer the points below?

Did the dealer have the new special tool?
Did the dealer follow the directions for the hand pump procedure to bleed and repressure the system?
Did the dealer allow the car to settle on the ground before the final torque on the control arms? This has been a common failure point to leave the rear ends too high.
Did the dealer call Audi to confirm the diagnosis of the CV?
Why EXACTLY is the dealer saying the CVs need to be changed? What has failed in the CV operation?

Hi DHall1, thanks a lot for your post, actually the workshop manager was trying to explain to me the wrong with my CVs but i didn't get it, something like inner lake and not external leak, he was trying to explain but very deep in tech, so i lost in sometime. I believe they just trying to convince me that I have to pay for a new CVs otherwise it will never fixed. Although I have no issue with the car height before replacing the shocks, i mean they were working perfectly before, the only problem was with the shocks that leaking. I have no idea what kind of test can be done on CVs to proof whether they faulty or not. and he said that settle the car on the ground before final toruqe on the control arms has nothing to do with the car height!!! :vgrumpy: I'm just lost.

Btw, are the CVs was a part of DRC recall in US? I mean all got a new CVs along with the DRC recall with the shocks?

DHall1
November 8th, 2009, 06:19
Please excuse my frustration earlier. I just wish these Audi private dealers could get their act together. It drives me nuts just hearing these stories from you guys.

Please return to my post above. Answer the questions about the special tool and did this dealer use it?

I must say the CV story is a line of BS from the dealer staff.

1. You must confirm that the dealer has the special tool or you are wasting time even talking to them.

2. IF the dealer used the special tool to bleed and repressure. Then how is your car driving other than the too high rear. Is the car performing without clunks and does it feel normal?

3. If 1 yes and 2 yes, yes THEN just take your car to the shop of your choice and have them put the car on the alignment rack. Loosen the rear control arm bolts....depress the suspension and then retorque. Do all of this with full weight of car on the suspension.

4. If 3 yes, yes, yes and you follow the shop procedure to reset your height you car will be back to normal.

IMHO

Hi DHall1, thanks a lot for your post, actually the workshop manager was trying to explain to me the wrong with my CVs but i didn't get it, something like inner lake and not external leak, he was trying to explain but very deep in tech, so i lost in sometime. I believe they just trying to convince me that I have to pay for a new CVs otherwise it will never fixed. Although I have no issue with the car height before replacing the shocks, i mean they were working perfectly before, the only problem was with the shocks that leaking. I have no idea what kind of test can be done on CVs to proof whether they faulty or not. and he said that settle the car on the ground before final toruqe on the control arms has nothing to do with the car height!!! :vgrumpy: I'm just lost.

Btw, are the CVs was a part of DRC recall in US? I mean all got a new CVs along with the DRC recall with the shocks?

DHall1
November 8th, 2009, 06:26
Finally, in a polite fashion please convey your anger at the Audi dealer staff. Request to call the regional Audi manager and tell them all that the DRC needs to be returned to full service and the car returned to proper ride height.

The US market recall included the CV valves IF needed. Its in all the paperwork....black and white.

Express your displeasure at the idea of you needing to pay for CVs. And advise the staff that you will not pay for CVs.

If the dealer and Audi dont resolve the matter. INSTALL KWV3 STRUTS AND DONT SPEND A PENNY WITH THESE IDIOTS. THEY CANNOT FIX THE DRC PROPERLY AND YOU WILL BE WASTING GOOD MONEY AFTER BAD.

GOOD LUCK