PDA

View Full Version : What is the Fastest/Easiest Way to See if Your Beast is a Beast?

BenA
October 9th, 2009, 23:14
I've searched the boards here and have noticed a lot of comments about variable performance between beasts and even within the same beast. I fall victim to the same feeling (or perception) that sometimes my car is/feels a lot faster than at other times.

I know there are different inputs (fuel, tunes, etc. etc.) to consider, and I know that a dyno and VagCom will always have the answer... BUT... there's not a 4-wheel dyno within 500 miles of me and I'm not quite ready (yet) to get VagCom.

What is YOUR fastest/easiest reco to see if a beast really is hitting claimed performance (and I'll simplify here by specifying power/acceleration) expectations? A 0-60 run in X.X seconds? A 0-100 run in XX.X seconds?

Few if any of us have the benefit of driving 2 different RS6s for comparison. So what's a good benchmark to use as the first test before digging in further?
:addict:

DHall1
October 10th, 2009, 01:41
Timer

Gtech pro

Iphone apps

Avus-RS6
October 10th, 2009, 04:26
Find someone in your area with an RS6 to go play with.

MaxRS6
October 10th, 2009, 05:35
accelerate- and see if this is the result:

Shoppinit
October 10th, 2009, 08:41
I bought a Gtech Pro RR for exactly this reason. No rolling roads near me. Forget manual timing.

You need to calibrate the gtech properly and do runs with no wind / no slope to get accurate results. I had doubts about mine and did runs with the gtech and vagcom in parallel.

I also set the speed warning on the car to 70 and the speed marker on the Gtech to 70. That way, if the car beeps and the gtech flashes at you at the same time, you know it's reasonably well calibrated.

Good thinking on the iphone apps, Dhall1. Can you suggest any?

RS6-4dr911
October 10th, 2009, 14:36
Dynolicious

sheatisdale
October 11th, 2009, 03:03
second Dynolicious. It was within 5% of my actual dyno on my Supra. Be sure to put in your actual weight and drivetrain loss figures...

DuckWingDuck
October 11th, 2009, 04:44
ya, when i had an iphone, I got dynolicious and it's a pretty good program. need a cradle for it in your car though.

BenA
October 12th, 2009, 20:32
Seems like a great place to start. Thanks! So what are you using for weight and drivetrain loss? It seems like if several of us used this app (with the same weight and loss figures), we should come up with some pretty interesting comparisons!

second Dynolicious. It was within 5% of my actual dyno on my Supra. Be sure to put in your actual weight and drivetrain loss figures...

RS6-4dr911
October 12th, 2009, 21:07
I used 4325lbs (4050 + 210 + 70lbs for 1/2 tank of fuel avg) and 22% drivetrain loss (I had seen that somewhere on here that that's a common %).

My results were not pretty, barely 400hp, kinda warm May morning, maybe 80-85 F outside and humid. With cooler weather planning to try again to do some before and after ITG filter comparisons.

Shoppinit
October 12th, 2009, 21:18
I think these tools are only useful for before / after comparisons where the environmental conditions are similar. Trying to use them for absolute values like HP isn't realistic. I know this is true of the G-tech from experience, and I'm sure that iphone apps are no better. There are just too many factors that aren't taken into consideration.

cornishmoocher
October 13th, 2009, 23:50
If my wife shits her pants its still quick......

DuckWingDuck
October 14th, 2009, 00:16
ROFL@Mooch

Man, people stared at me sitting here in the conference room when I read your post. Hi-larious