PDA

View Full Version : just bought an RS6

pellapat
October 8th, 2009, 23:10
Hello all,
I just bought a RS6 from a great guy in so cal.

The car was serviced at Hoehn Audi and the same mechanic took care of it from the first few miles.

Current cars

01 91 996 tt
05 v70R
01 A6 avant
03 RS6

Car has 69,100 and the timing belt was done at 35,150

Fidelity gold plus 50 deduct good thru 9-2011
nav
all maintance current
new tires brakes done at 67251 including all rotors and pads
lazer/rader/jammer
all available options

paid 26,500

Do you guys thik I should do the 75k maintance now along with the timing belt.

I have a bid for 3000.00 for,
Spark plugs<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Oil filter<o:p></o:p>
Air filter<o:p></o:p>
Pollen filter<o:p></o:p>
Washer solvent<o:p></o:p>
Washer<o:p></o:p>
Toothed belt<o:p></o:p>
Water pump<o:p></o:p>
Coolant<o:p></o:p>
Thermostat<o:p></o:p>
Seal <o:p></o:p>
Motor oil<o:p></o:p>
Roller.<o:p></o:p>
Should I wait until I put at least 75-80k on the car for this considering everything is current on this car and the car is in showroom condition from an internal and external standpoint?

Pics of this car and the 01 911tt to come as soon as I drive it back to idaho.

Thanks to all,

Patrick:addict:

DHall1
October 8th, 2009, 23:15
Put some miles on her.

See if anything pops up. Then at 75k do the service.

MaxRS6
October 8th, 2009, 23:16
Welcome aboard the crazy train!

Beastly
October 8th, 2009, 23:30
congrats and welcome seems like a fair deal

Benman
October 8th, 2009, 23:41
Put some miles on her.

See if anything pops up. Then at 75k do the service.

Again, ditto.

And welcome on board. :cheers:

Ben:addict:

peiserg
October 9th, 2009, 00:08
Again, ditto.

And welcome on board. :cheers:

Ben:addict:

i agree.

pellapat
October 9th, 2009, 00:47
the hardest part is waiting until the 22nd to drive back.

ben916
October 9th, 2009, 01:15
This was the one in Encinitas, right?

pellapat
October 9th, 2009, 01:16
yes- do you know the car?

ben916
October 9th, 2009, 01:18
No, I saw it in the AT and was going to check it out...

pellapat
October 9th, 2009, 01:22
yea I got a good deal and the owner was real cool to work with.

I was curios why he did not post any pictures but after a few phone calls we made the deal happen.

I did do some research on 3 other cars and if you are still looking let me know and I can shre some good information to you.

Bigglezworth
October 9th, 2009, 03:00
Welcome to the world of the RS6. I see you have a Volvo R. I moved from a 2006 S60R to the RS6 14 months ago and there's no turning back. :)

AUDI5000CSTQ
October 9th, 2009, 05:20
Congrats to you. But sorry to see another RS6 leave San Diego.

ben916
October 9th, 2009, 07:05
Congrats to you. But sorry to see another RS6 leave San Diego.

formulating a way to help the "cause"....

DonS
October 9th, 2009, 15:55
Take some pics along your senic route home - car in foreground, mountains in background. Don't worry if the RS6 is dirty, we understand. Welcome and have fun!

Ruergard
October 9th, 2009, 17:10
Welcome aboard, all we need now is pics! :D

mmaturo
October 9th, 2009, 17:18
Hello all,
I just bought a RS6 from a great guy in so cal.

The car was serviced at Hoehn Audi and the same mechanic took care of it from the first few miles.

Current cars

01 91 996 tt
05 v70R
01 A6 avant
03 RS6

Car has 69,100 and the timing belt was done at 35,150

Fidelity gold plus 50 deduct good thru 9-2011
nav
all maintance current
new tires brakes done at 67251 including all rotors and pads
lazer/rader/jammer
all available options

paid 26,500

Do you guys thik I should do the 75k maintance now along with the timing belt.

I have a bid for 3000.00 for,
Spark plugs<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Oil filter<o:p></o:p>
Air filter<o:p></o:p>
Pollen filter<o:p></o:p>
Washer solvent<o:p></o:p>
Washer<o:p></o:p>
Toothed belt<o:p></o:p>
Water pump<o:p></o:p>
Coolant<o:p></o:p>
Thermostat<o:p></o:p>
Seal <o:p></o:p>
Motor oil<o:p></o:p>
Roller.<o:p></o:p>
Should I wait until I put at least 75-80k on the car for this considering everything is current on this car and the car is in showroom condition from an internal and external standpoint?

Pics of this car and the 01 911tt to come as soon as I drive it back to idaho.

Thanks to all,

Patrick:addict:

Enjoy! You may try finding an independent shop to lower the cost a little. I also had the dealer price just the belt, tensioners, water pump (only belt related items) rather than all the service items and got them down to 1700-1800 (with audi club parts discount). Haven't done it yet as i looked at my belt while cover was off a couple of months ago and it looked perfect at 75K miles.

Of the cost items the spark plugs are unbelievable...over $400 just for those.

DHall1
October 9th, 2009, 18:06
Mark,

Interesting, your belt looked perfect at 75k. How long are you letting it run?

400 for plugs? What? Is that parts and labor? Any idea on just the parts cost?

Enjoy! You may try finding an independent shop to lower the cost a little. I also had the dealer price just the belt, tensioners, water pump (only belt related items) rather than all the service items and got them down to 1700-1800 (with audi club parts discount). Haven't done it yet as i looked at my belt while cover was off a couple of months ago and it looked perfect at 75K miles.

Of the cost items the spark plugs are unbelievable...over $400 just for those.

terrytcl
October 9th, 2009, 18:16
it may have looked perfect, but the main reason for changing out these belts is because they stretch.

with the tight clearance (valve to piston) and timing of the valves, audi is using the timing belt change interval to prevent detonation and poor performance. mainly detonation prevention though (imho).

so, the belt may look good (no fraying, no fluid damage, etc), but it may have stretched and cause undesireable results.

:)

on a side note -
$400 for plugs is outrageous.

clubplug.net has the oem plugs listed at $12.06 /plug
less than $100 for the plugs.

$300 for labor? sheesh.. i took about an hour and half to do all of them... and this was with taking my time...

if you want me to change them out for you mark, let me know

i'm runing on the denso dual platinum plugs. so far no problems, and the plugs were only $2 each

DHall1
October 9th, 2009, 18:37
Tensioner will only go so far. A good point.

My question has always been why some other areas of the world have different TB intervals up to 55,000-60,000 miles.

Good info on the plugs. I will be due soon...in the next year or so.

it may have looked perfect, but the main reason for changing out these belts is because they stretch.

with the tight clearance (valve to piston) and timing of the valves, audi is using the timing belt change interval to prevent detonation and poor performance. mainly detonation prevention though (imho).

so, the belt may look good (no fraying, no fluid damage, etc), but it may have stretched and cause undesireable results.

on a side note -

$300 for labor? sheesh.. i took about an hour and half to do all of them... and this was with taking my time...

i'm runing on the denso dual platinum plugs. so far no problems, and the plugs were only $2 each

mmaturo
October 9th, 2009, 20:32

on a side note -

Sweet, now i can be paranoid again about the belt...didn't think about stretching. Crap. Was going to take it to 80K at 78 now. I remember the plugs all in was $400 but most of it was the plugs themselves. I would have to dig up the receipt from the dealer. I got the same reaction then from people at the time about the cost and how cheap on line but honestly at the time as it was under warranty if they over torqued, miss-threaded or screwed anything up changing the plugs i wanted them on the hook. Still shocked I'm supposed to change them ever 15K.

My car seems to run fine (w/ plugs in for 30K miles) so i'm not sure i could tell the difference in old plugs now vs some other boost related issue.

MarkusRS6
October 9th, 2009, 20:34

wow, I would never put $2 plugs in, the engine damage can be huge if one goes...

LIRS6
October 9th, 2009, 22:17
My car seems to run fine (w/ plugs in for 30K miles) so i'm not sure i could tell the difference in old plugs now vs some other boost related issue.

Just had car in for 75k svc - SA said plugs were not changed as Audi has amended the schedule .. anyone else hear this?

DHall1
October 9th, 2009, 23:00
What is the new schedule per your SA

Just had car in for 75k svc - SA said plugs were not changed as Audi has amended the schedule .. anyone else hear this?

terrytcl
October 12th, 2009, 16:25
wow, I would never put $2 plugs in, the engine damage can be huge if one goes...

denso is a respected manufacturer.

i have no worries about denso.

bosch platinum goes for the same price. once you start adding electrodes, the price goes up.

those $20 ngks are just multi electrode platinum plugs.
same as the +4 bosch you can buy for $10/plug.

i went with a single electrode platinum plug and have not had any problems.

DonS
October 12th, 2009, 16:34
The absolute lowest price I can find those Denso Double Platinum for the RS6 application is about $6.50 plus shipping. You got a great deal at $2!!!

DHall1
October 12th, 2009, 16:44
:eye:This discussion on plugs, prices and pros/cons is worthless without links to the different sites that offer the items.

The absolute lowest price I can find those Denso Double Platinum for the RS6 application is about $6.50 plus shipping. You got a great deal at $2!!!

terrytcl
October 12th, 2009, 16:45

they had 8 in stock at autozone for $2.25 per plug. :)

terrytcl
October 12th, 2009, 16:48
:eye:This discussion on plugs, prices and pros/cons is worthless without links to the different sites that offer the items.

clubplug.net or sparkplugs.com are great sites for comparing prices.

if you see the anatomy of the NGK oem plug for the RS6, it's just a platinum plug.

i'd stick with platinum.. i tried iridium, but didn't have any good luck with it. plus they're pricey.

copper plugs would be the best, but you'd have to change them out frequently.

DHall1
October 12th, 2009, 16:50
I would second platinum.

DonS
October 12th, 2009, 16:53
I guess my point was that this isn't really a $2 plug as they typically sell at prices similar to the other plugs that people are enamored with. Don't let the price fool ya - even the most high quality products end up on the blowout shelf sometimes...

MarkusRS6
October 12th, 2009, 19:06
ah yes good point, I was getting worried about Terry's 6

bodni98
October 22nd, 2009, 19:59
I am buying a second RS6 from my friend - Avus Silver with 29K miles. Does anyone know if it's due for a timing belt replacement? How do you know when is the time for replacement?

DHall1
October 22nd, 2009, 20:03
Timing belt is due at 35k. No time limit per AoA schedule I have.

Some dealers like to push on a time schedule to pad the wallet. Check the Audi service history to see if any dealer performed the 35k service early due to time.

IMHO you are fine running to 35k miles. I will run mine to 35k and change it myself. Currently at 31k

I am buying a second RS6 from my friend - Avus Silver with 29K miles. Does anyone know if it's due for a timing belt replacement? How do you know when is the time for replacement?

bodni98
October 22nd, 2009, 20:06
Dave - Thanks for your prompt response!

pellapat
October 24th, 2009, 01:30
pics to come within 2 weeks. have the car. Broke it in with a 1000 mile trip home. The car is incredible. Super smmoth. It pulls really nice and has a real tight feel to it. It purs when cruising and roars with the pedal is down

Just has the oil changed at hoehn audi and they installed the front licence plate mount. they held the car for 4 days until I picked it up. First class service.

At about 80mph it really drove smooth. The front rotors look grooved so i think they will need a replacement unless that is the way they look.

great investment and will drive all next year. I will change the timing belt at 80k The car has 72,000 on it as of today. The belt was changed at 37203 and the guy who owned it did every bit of maintance and never really raced the car. i will treat it almost as nice as he did.:race:

pellapat
October 24th, 2009, 01:35
hey if someone can give me their email address and could post it I will take one right away! With my camera phone.

mmaturo
October 24th, 2009, 01:54
pics to come within 2 weeks. have the car. Broke it in with a 1000 mile trip home. The car is incredible. Super smmoth. It pulls really nice and has a real tight feel to it. It purs when cruising and roars with the pedal is down

Just has the oil changed at hoehn audi and they installed the front licence plate mount. they held the car for 4 days until I picked it up. First class service.

At about 80mph it really drove smooth. The front rotors look grooved so i think they will need a replacement unless that is the way they look.

great investment and will drive all next year. I will change the timing belt at 80k The car has 72,000 on it as of today. The belt was changed at 37203 and the guy who owned it did every bit of maintance and never really raced the car. i will treat it almost as nice as he did.:race:

Just have the thickness of the rotors checked...mine have always looked grooved at all ages, all sets, and i've had a lot of them.

pellapat
October 24th, 2009, 02:05
thanks man. I really love the car. it is one of the coolest cars.

I have to say as much as I love my 911 tt. Which is quite a bit faster. This car is overall a nicer car.

Rating on
interior noise
comfort
sound
bose system
balance
rear seats for the kids
nice winter car
one of a kind
sleeper

DHall1
October 24th, 2009, 04:23
Please do a search on the brakes.

EBC reds

Brake pad replacement

IMHO you have the brass rivets contacting the rotors. You could change the pads real quick and save the rotors.

175 bucks now or 1500 later

pellapat
October 25th, 2009, 15:52
<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 225pt; HEIGHT: 168.75pt" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\coxp\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\cli p_image001.png" o:title=""></v:imagedata></v:shape>