PDA

View Full Version : Hello my RS6 friends. Just bought a

Copper
October 8th, 2009, 22:33
BMW M5. So far I like it. SMG is hard to get used to but always manually shifting makes that problem go away.

Overall, I miss the turbo kick in the pants of the RS6 (esp. my second one with the REVO mod) but once the M5 gets into the upper RPM range is is a real monster... just goes and goes until you run out of pavement (or go to jail). You just have to rev the snot out of it through each gear to get the performance band going. Unlike the RS6 which had power available very early and all through the RPM range and gears. iDrive is not as bad as I expected (mine is new though so maybe they have worked out the issues?) Once I set everything up with some quality time in the garage with the M5 is was set it and forget it. I like the "M" button to get instant setting changes to Performance when the random WRX or Mustang wants to "go for it".

Just wanted to drop in and say "hello" and let you know what my next toy was. I test drove just about everything out there over the last few months and am happy with the '09 Nissan Maxima for business and the new M5 for hobby.

I came close to getting a Nissan GTR. It was a hoot to drive but on the two separate test drives I was one I was challenged to race 4 different times. I don't need/want that kind of attention. It was a nice car and I would certainly recommend it to anyone interested but I was looking more for a hobby/daily driver that had a practical side to it like the RS6 and had a decent ride for when I'm stuck in Atlanta traffic trying to get to the other side of town to shoot some pool with friends (and we can all get in one car). My girls (4 and 1/2) love to ride with daddy so the 4 door M5 won out over the M6 and GTR.

On a side note: I've put 13K miles on the Maxima and am very pleased with it. It has better electronics and interfaces than the RS6 and M5. Bluetooth, voice command, navigation, iPod integration, MP3 Hard Drive, air conditioned and heated seats, rear passenger controls in the armrest dual sunroofs... all very nice. It's fairly quick as well and returns 27-28MPG Hwy regularly. For a work-mobile it is really great. I would also recommend the new Maxima to anyone shopping for a nice, reliable car. The new body style looks good too and I get tons of compliments on it without offending clients (it's a Maxima!).

They say power corrupts and I was badly missing the power from the RS6 so shopped for a hobby car and am happy with the M5.

MaxRS6
October 8th, 2009, 23:05
Great to hear you found a great solution for you. Sounds like a blast and a great combo! Thanks for the update to let us know what u up to.

DHall1
October 8th, 2009, 23:13
We need some pics!

Glad things are going well.

Cheers

Benman
October 8th, 2009, 23:39
We need some pics!

Glad things are going well.

Cheers

Ditto that, congrats. :cheers:

Ben:addict:

Spidercat
October 9th, 2009, 04:39
Nice to hear from you again! I knew the Maxima could never fill the void no matter how nice/reliable it is ; )
LOL about the race-baiters while test driving the GTR!
Good luck with your new toy and go get some 1/4 times!

Copper
October 11th, 2009, 18:35
Hey, I'll take some pics tomorrow when I get my good camera back from getting serviced. I'm getting tint on Wednesday as well so I may wait to take pictures until that is completed.

It's gray with black interior.

Copper
November 10th, 2009, 22:26
Here are some pics.

Sorry it took so long. I've been sick with the flu.

It' funny; Hanging out on the M5 board they also call the M5 "The Beast".

The MPG on the M5 is pathetic. Just a word to the wise PM me to provide some of the issues with going from an RS6 to an M5 if you are considering it. Otherwise it's a very fast sedan.

GBG
November 11th, 2009, 02:22
Cooper- looks great. Congrats. If only BMW made an AWD M5...