PDA

View Full Version : Help ! - something appears missing

LIRS6
October 7th, 2009, 21:48
I have been experiencing some odd "groans" eminating from the front of my car when turning slowly or going over bumps. So I poked around the front, and noticed that below the antifreeze overflow reservoir, there appears to be a bolt missing. Below is a photo which shows a clean area above the threads which may have been a bolt or bolt/washer combo.

Any ideas what may have been there? Car was serviced by dealer a month ago for 75k incl thermostat, water pump, timing belt etc.

Here's a pic - the area is under the reservoir roughly below the blue fill cap.

http://www.rs6.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=29&pictureid=156

DonS
October 7th, 2009, 23:12
I took a quick look at my car and you are WAY deeper into it than I can get at a quick glance. Man, you're in there!! Hopefully someone will know before I start spinning wrenches to appease my curiosity!

Just to be sure...you're looking under the coolant resevoir just in front of the windscreen. Right?

DHall1
October 8th, 2009, 00:25
My gosh after looking at that picture my head hurts.

Where is this again?

Nothing like looking into the zoom without any idea where your looking.

:eye:

V8weight
October 8th, 2009, 00:28
I believe you are looking at the cowl drain.

SAF
October 8th, 2009, 00:28
I need a map to get me close.

V8weight
October 8th, 2009, 00:39
Got it, I just went out and checked and I have the same unoccupied nutsert. Remember, these cars are essentially an A6 chassis. That hole would have been home to a battery tie down bolt in a regular A6.

LIRS6
October 8th, 2009, 14:44
Got it, I just went out and checked and I have the same unoccupied nutsert. Remember, these cars are essentially an A6 chassis. That hole would have been home to a battery tie down bolt in a regular A6.

Brilliant, thanks very much.

Now to go back to finding the source of the groaning