PDA

View Full Version : Our Brake rotors and Porsche?

hahnmgh63
October 1st, 2009, 05:53
Thought I would throw out a tidbit of info I discovered at the Frankfurt autoshow when I was in Germany last weekend. With all the talk about our rotor design good & bad here is something I found. Looking at the 911 road & race cars you will see that the carbon rotors are an option on most including the GT3. Well here is a picture I took of the GT3 Cup race car they had on display, and what did I find? Not carbon rotors but rotors that suspiciously looked just like ours. And they are manufactured by SHW which is the company that manufacturers our rotors. So, for the 911 GT3 cup race cars, Porsche chose the same rotor design and manufacturer as our rotors, not too bad. Of course many other variables in design such as rotor size to car weight ratio, rotor cooling, but the initial design must have some merits that Porsche sees for one of their factory racers.

DHall1
October 1st, 2009, 07:18
Nice find. I remember going on and on about our stock rotor design in one of our long brake threads. I would never change from the current design. C6 rotors if I upgrade rims but still the same design.

Hope your trip was fun. Did you get the rental car to 150mph?

Yellow RS6
October 1st, 2009, 15:33
That does look suspiciously like our rotors. If only our cars weighed 1000 lbs less like the GT3 does -lol.

But seriously, I've read that the carbon brakes cost $10,000+ to replace! That's nuts!!

Yancy
October 1st, 2009, 16:39
That does look suspiciously like our rotors. If only our cars weighed 1000 lbs less like the GT3 does -lol.

But seriously, I've read that the carbon brakes cost $10,000+ to replace! That's nuts!!

I just had my '03 RS6 rotor/pads replaced and winced at the bill.
To make me feel better, I was told that last week the same shop replaced a set of Porsche carbon brakes to the tune of $17,000 :brag:

03rs6
October 3rd, 2009, 03:18
what was your bill if you don't mind me asking? my rs6 is going in next week cause the brake warning light is going on everytime i make a turn or go over a bump and the brakes are squealing when coming to a stop. i think i maybe looking at a steep bill myself.

SAF
October 3rd, 2009, 03:34
Mark, do you have any good pics of the museum to share??

DHall1
October 3rd, 2009, 04:10
If your taking the car in the dealer.

You will most likely need rotors and pads. Front 1500

If you DIY you can expect to pay 750.

You choose.

Search for the brake job threads.

what was your bill if you don't mind me asking? my rs6 is going in next week cause the brake warning light is going on everytime i make a turn or go over a bump and the brakes are squealing when coming to a stop. i think i maybe looking at a steep bill myself.

hahnmgh63
October 3rd, 2009, 05:05
Here's a couple of pics from the Audi Museum as well as the Frankfurt Autoshow which was happening at the same time I was in Europe. I had been to the Frankfurt Autoshow in 2003 and it was truly and International show, this time it was pretty much a German show but still great. The Polished Aluminum R8 was something to see but it would have blinded everyone else on the road with its reflections. If anyone wants higher resolution pics of these drop me an E-mail as I had to shrink them down considerable to upload them here. From 3~4Mb to 148Kb. hahnmgh@yahoo.com

hahnmgh63
October 3rd, 2009, 05:07
A couple more pics, these of the RS6 which was talked about. I myself wasn't that big on the color, which was the same on the Q7 as well as the TTRS.

SAF
October 3rd, 2009, 05:18
I just wet myself.

mmaturo
October 3rd, 2009, 06:47

You may try finding a good independent shop in your area as it is rather simple...several posts here of us finding rotors on-line around $800 or some less now (??)and pads (i am still happy with EBCs) at $140. My shop did $100 for the quick install so all in i was right around $1000-1100.