PDA

View Full Version : RS6.com drives the S4 V8

Erik
August 26th, 2003, 12:11
When I first saw the pictures and read the technical specification about the new S4 V8 I must say I was disappointed. I have now driven the S4 V8 for about 1300 km and I must say I am very impressed. The V8 fits the car very well, there is always enough power when you need it and the sound from the engine is really nice. Not too loud, but enough to make you smile. :D

We benchmarked the S4 vs. the M3 (E46) with SMG and the S4 is away much quicker than the M3. We did several tests and the M3 usually passed the S4 at around 120 – 140 km/h.
Only once did it pass at around 100 km/h. The M3 driver and owner claims he passed before, but I’m not sure and this is my report not his.
The M3 used the launch control but also ‘manual’ starts, he was free to do whatever tricks he could to go as fast as possible. The biggest problem for the M3 was to get traction.
His rear tires could have been better (can’t they always?), but otherwise the conditions were more or less perfect (i.e. dry roads)
At ‘autobahn speed’ we discovered something interesting. When slipstreaming behind the M3, the S4 had no problems at all to keep up. At about 260 km/h the M3 hit the limiter, but the S4 was ready to continue up to about 270 km/h on the odometer.
That could certainly annoy any M3 owner running stock! :bigeyes:
On the other hand, the M3 has no problems either to keep up when slipstreaming behind the S4. But it would hit the limiter before the S4.

It might be worth to mention that 5:th gear only goes up to about 235 km/h, so you need all gears for top speed.

We also tried it against a ~370 hp TTq Roadster. At high speeds they are very similar, but the S4 will take the start from a stand still.
And a chipped Volvo V70R AWD stands no chance…
Unfortunately we did not have the possibility to try it against the Volvo S60R, but as far as I understand it has very small chances to compete with the S4.

According to tests I’ve seen the S4 should be able to do 200 km/h in about 20 secs. and the quarter mile in about 13.4 secs.

The feeling in the steering could have been better, but that is only if you have tried the BMW M3. Otherwise you wouldn’t really complain. The hunger for petrol was a little higher than I expected. At 120 km/h in 6:th gear it still wants about 11 to 12l / 100km.
Also the S4 was heavier than expected. 1880 kg with driver and half tank of petrol is very heavy I think.

I can highly recommend the S4 V8! :incar: :s4addict:

McBurn4ever
August 26th, 2003, 14:54
I assume that you had someting like this with you..

http://www.cyberphoto.se/hitachi/mv350.jpg

:D

Erik
August 26th, 2003, 15:00
Originally posted by McBurn4ever
I assume that you had someting like this with you..

Maybe...just maybe... :D

And this... http://www.cyberphoto.se/canon/eos30/30.jpg

smerayo
August 27th, 2003, 02:25
Quite impressed!! You guys are making me happy on this board. I have just had an appointment with a m3 owner on Sept to see what the s4 can do against the m3.
I can t wait until my S4 is delievered!!:D :D I will show you guys all my videos agains the m3 :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I have had an m3 e46 for almost a year, and tell you the truth,. it is a "freakin´" machine! I don t know about the s4 though!

Nice videos, Erik!!!

Regards

smerayo
August 27th, 2003, 02:27
Erik, is the m3 appearing on the videos? :confused:

Erik
August 27th, 2003, 09:46
Originally posted by smerayo
Erik, is the m3 appearing on the videos? :confused:

In some videos yes. Please wait...be patient.

smerayo
August 27th, 2003, 12:09
Sorry, i just can t be that patient with these things, Erik :D :D :D

V70R
September 4th, 2003, 04:50
First reaction from an admitted V70R afficionado - wow... stunned. I haven't (yet) had the chance to review all the S4 V8 information, but it appears to be a fearsome entry in the uberwagon space.

We'll be featuring a story about this new Audi beast at our site - including links to all the cool content here at RS6.com.

That being said... (and without having read all the comments)... is the S4 V8 Avant really in the same space as the Volvo V70 series of cars? I have been in many A4 vehicles, and they are fairly compact - without saying cramped - especially for taller drivers such as myself. The rear seats appear almost unusable except for relatively shorter folk.

OK, enough with the ranting - the performance looks enticing.

Rob