PDA

View Full Version : Next M5 with more power than RS6!!!!!!!

Leadfoot
September 24th, 2009, 12:14
It seems the M5 will lose its 373kW (507hp) naturally aspirated 5.0-litre V10 in favor of a lighter, more economical twin turbo V8 engine found in the X5 M and X6 M making 408kW (555hp). However, latest speculation places power output even higher - between 420kW (571hp) and 450kW (612hp). An 8-speed sequential gearbox has been mentioned as a possible powertrain mate.
Formula One derived Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS) technology will make its way into the M5 not only as a way to boost power but also to make it eco-friendlier.
The M5 based on the next-generation 5 Series goes on sale in 2011.

8 speed sequential gearbox?

Does this mean no dual clutch for the next M5 like they have in the M3. Surely that's a bit of a surprise.

Also a possible 600+hp with a torque figure to match and all combined with KERS. This thing has to potential to be an absolute monster in the making. :bigeyes:

Erik
September 24th, 2009, 12:39
The M3 has double clutch no?

I think by sequential they mean PDK = DSG

AndyBG
September 24th, 2009, 18:48
No more than 550 hp IMHO, but with lots of weight saving... M-DKG will be for sure its gearbox, seq' gearboxes are to uncomortable for this kind of car...

RXBG
September 24th, 2009, 19:30
wont need more than 550 if it is has near 500 of torque even if it weighs the same. with the dsg keeping accel in the powerband/boost range it'll be fast as hell- dsg's were made for boosted engines. see GTR.

watch bmw put a DSG in the M5 before we see it in an A6/ R8/ A8... lol

The RS6
September 24th, 2009, 23:08
watch bmw put a DSG in the M5 before we see it in an A6/ R8/ A8... lol

I don't think BMW can afford more gearbox problems...

Z07
September 25th, 2009, 18:12
Based on this, the next RS6 will have 700bhp as stock. ;)

They may just mean that the next M5 will have an 8-speed version of the M5's current 7-speed paddle-shift, which isn't M-DKG. Don't forget that producing a low-rent dual-clutch transmission and producing one that can handle a 612bhp, 4.4L TT V8 are 2 different things.

Rutkowsky
October 3rd, 2009, 11:44
Currently, there are two engines being tested - the V8 TT and the V10 TT. No one knows for sure which way BMW will go, not even BMW themselves!!

If i am to guess - it'll be the V10 TT and i do hope so. This much power plus KERS, less weight etc - as Leady says - it will be a monster of a car.

On the subject of next generation RS6? Will that happen at all?? With all the eco madness going on, i reckon we are nearing an end of high powered cars.

Z07
October 3rd, 2009, 13:35
The V10 wouldn't be financially frugal. They're already using the 4.4 TT V8 block in the X5 and X6 and it's destined for the new Esprit. It makes sense to re-use the same production facilities rather than having a separate one for a V10TT. Then you've got the CO2 issues and weight.

Leadfoot
October 3rd, 2009, 14:10
Currently, there are two engines being tested - the V8 TT and the V10 TT. No one knows for sure which way BMW will go, not even BMW themselves!!

If i am to guess - it'll be the V10 TT and i do hope so. This much power plus KERS, less weight etc - as Leady says - it will be a monster of a car.

I'm with Z07, it would be madness to basically add turbos to their V10, think about all the additional weight of turbos, piping and intercooler.....bang go their 50/50 weight balance they so crave.

Also such a monsterous engine wouldn't need KERS, that would be even more weight to an already heavier package than their previous car. It has to down grade like what Audi are doing, reduce engine size and try and lighten the whole package, huge amounts more power and torque plus KERS will require a drivetrain from a steamroller.

On the subject of next generation RS6? Will that happen at all?? With all the eco madness going on, i reckon we are nearing an end of high powered cars.

I would have thought at Audi would be in a much better position financially to replace the RS6 than BMW ever would. The RS range because of their limited numbers have very little bearing on the C02 measurements on the company as a whole, this is almost the opposite to BMW where their M range make up a far bigger percentage of their overall sales. BMW need to reduce their M cars g/km much much more than Audi do.

As for whether the horsepower war is over, I would have expected so, but the war will continue on a different front of power to ton. I would expect that instead of the power increasing it will probably hold station with only the weight making a reduction in the high performance versions and if the S5 Lightweight makes production that seems to be Audi's thinking, still having 420hp from a 2.5TFSi yet dropping 400kgs in the process.