PDA

View Full Version : A C55 AMG is on it's way...

Klint
August 25th, 2003, 20:54
Hi,

This appears to be a naturally aspirated version. But if AMG can fit the 5.5litre V8 inside, I don't see why they can't produce "one or two" supercharged versions.. :eek:

Is this something for the RS4s, S4s etc to worry about...I would give this can another glance.

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/news,view.spy?artid=16013&pg=1

:cheers:

Alex
August 25th, 2003, 21:51
Well, a supercharger would be something very welcome even though itīs 370hp..

Fab5
August 25th, 2003, 21:54
Hi Klint,

The new C55 Amg will be a very strong car.I also know that,the car will smoke the M3 and S4,but i can live with that.

Ps:If i want to drive a mercedes i call a taxi.

Fab5

mjrr
August 25th, 2003, 22:07
It will smoke the S4, but not the old RS4 ( or the new one )...

mjrr

Klint
August 26th, 2003, 00:32
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Now, let's just hope that Audi makes bigger reservations for the RS4 and make the standard S4 a Bi-Turbo version, while the RS4 is being tested...

One thing is for sure. I really do hope that Audi pulls a rabbit out of the hat on this one and ups the ante. :byeM5:

Erik
August 26th, 2003, 09:56
Just so you know, the S4 V8 is a pretty fast car.

I spent the weekend in one... :incar:

Andreas.ka
August 26th, 2003, 12:23
I dont get it, why does Audi need a supercharger to beat a Mercedes?
I bet a S4 is good enough to beat the mercedes so screw superchargers.

Klint
August 26th, 2003, 17:56
Originally posted by Andreas.ka
I dont get it, why does Audi need a supercharger to beat a Mercedes?
I bet a S4 is good enough to beat the mercedes so screw superchargers.

Good point.

Not that superchargers are bad. Audi don't really need a supercharger but it is simply the easiest and most feasible method of getting those extra ponies to keep in the battle.

Audi really use turboes on their engines...I'm not to sure if it's because of the old school rally quattro era or if they prefer them over superchargers..but they like to stick to them. So, if forced induction will be the way to go, to gain power, Audi will be using Turboes...Either in the Bi-Turbo, RS6 format or a single turbo (Unlikely) :)

I doubt the S4 V8 will be able to beat the C55 AMG, even if they are both naturally aspirated. The S4 hasn't got any decent advantage accept it's an Audi product and the quattro system.

gmbh6
August 26th, 2003, 18:05
let's have that in english for those of us who don't really know the diff. (pros and cons) between a supercharged engine and one with turbos. :blush:

Klint
August 26th, 2003, 19:57
Originally posted by thcakid
let's have that in english for those of us who don't really know the diff. (pros and cons) between a supercharged engine and one with turbos. :blush:

The lazy approach (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question122.htm) :bye:

gmbh6
August 26th, 2003, 20:10
Originally posted by Klint
The lazy approach (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question122.htm) :bye:

not lazy at all......you still had to link it.......thanks. :cheers:

Muju
August 27th, 2003, 10:27
nah 370bhp or back wheel vs rs4. hell no. but on dry day the normal s4 might be in deep shit..

p i m p:rs4addict

Jetset
August 27th, 2003, 12:05
Iīve heard that It will be replaced in 2005 with an AMG version of the all-new 32-valve M156 direct injection V8. Depending on whether the final displacement of this engine finishes at 5.3 or 5.5-litres, output is expected to be 370 0r 375 bhp and it will be fitted to AMG C- ang M-class, as well as CLK and SLK.

AMG is dropping supercharged engines in favour of big-bore V8sī.