September 23rd, 2009, 19:44
already snow in colorado?

54m
September 23rd, 2009, 21:46
The way Audi is going at the moment with so many new models been released,
I Wouldnt be Suprised if thats a A6 Sedan Allroad... :looking:

Leadfoot
September 24th, 2009, 11:59
My guess is this is the next A6 under development.

tailpipe
September 24th, 2009, 13:16
I keep hearing this rumour about the B9 A4/ RS4, which will supposedly be based on a revised MLP platform. This is what Jalopnik seems to think this mule is. I think they are mistaken. The next major model release for Audi is a new A6, so I concur with Leadfoot that this is probably what this car is.

What is worth noting is that the technical configuration of the MLP platform was mandated by several years ago by Bernd Pischestreider, when he was head of the Volkswagen Group. Ultimately, industry commentators agreed that MLP was NOT THE STEP FORWARD Audi promised it would be. The engine did move rearwards, but was still largely mounted over the front wheels. It wasn't what Martin Winterkorn, the then head of Audi wanted. Indeed, Winterkorn had pushed for a rear-wheel drive platform.

After Pischestrieder was fired by Piech and Winterkorn became VW Group CEO, he set about correcting the deficiencies of the MLP architecture. AFAIK Audi will not move to a rear-wheel platform. But what they will do is update MLP so that the engine is further behind the front axle, dramatically improving weight balance and thus handling. This is important not only for Audi but other VW Group brands such as Bentley, Porsche and VW itself. With so many models already launched based on the original MLP platform, Audi may have achieved sufficient economies of scale to be able to update it.

This entire discussion may already be out of date. One thing that is changing all of Audi's plans is the rapid move towards electric cars, precipitated by the current economic climate. I suspect that this is what has delayed the new A8's launch. The chassis design options mandated by cars with heavy battery packs changes everything.