PDA

View Full Version : what's your warranty saved you on?

PatriotRSX
September 21st, 2009, 20:45
Fellows,

Seems like everyone on here champions the Gold Plus extended warranty. Here's what I was quoted at Desert Audi of Las Vegas (car's at 53,850 miles, and these are $250 deductible prices):

3/36: $3,798
4/48: $4,463
5/60: $5,227

The 4/48 really fits me best, so I was considering that. They also mentioned that at 54,000 miles, the cost for my 4/48 jumps to $5,331, and the price jumps considerably for all the other options as well.

I realize that DRC was the big reason for buying warranty coverage for the car, but I haven't gone for the new DRC yet, as my old system works fine. My plan is to wait until the end of the 18-month window, as long as everything continues to function, and have it completed then. Thus, if I have a DRC problem in the meantime, my fix is to upgrade.

I obviously don't have much time to make a decision, what with being on the cusp of 54k. I'd like to know what having Gold Plus (or Platinum) has saved anyone on this forum. Has the warranty paid for itself, in anyone's case?

Is it worth it?

MaxRS6
September 21st, 2009, 21:35
warranty and it certainly paid for itself. Bruce is a great advocate when it is time for the warranty claims. Whatever you do, I strongly recommend a warranty and don't go a minute without being covered. The turbos are $5,500 and had to be replaced at 75K, numerous gaskets and seals have had to be replaced on my car, cam adjuster was approximatly $3k, fuel tank issue $2k, etc. etc. The tranny (knock on wood I have not had that issue yet) potential (7K) would pay for it by itself. Get the longest and best coverage that is available IMHO.

mmaturo
September 21st, 2009, 23:35
Worth every penny... every bushing in the front suspension will fail repeatedly (besides DRC)...my biggest and now real fear is another torque converter or transmission...just had third trans and fourth TC put in my car (74K miles). So right there its worth it. I have had all sorts of things fail on my car and they would all be over $800 out of pocket. Do it...you will use it all up and not regret it 4 years from now.

I am now unprotected and freaking as i didn't have the cash earlier this year to do the insurance in one big payment. Still going to see what i can pick up now.

Spidercat
September 22nd, 2009, 05:13
Yes, yes, yes!
Even with all the bickering with the claims adjuster over $$$ for whether this part or that part isn't covered, the Fidelity Gold plus paid for itself MANY times over. It was $2800 when the original warranty ran out, and I just extended it for $5200 (5/60). I'd be out about double the total RIGHT NOW if I didn't have it, and that was just for the $2800. Get all the warranty you can afford!!!
I went with the Gold Plus since it covers most everything expensive or hard to fix, but others have the platinum and love it. 'Sup to you.

DHall1
September 22nd, 2009, 07:18
Dont wait.

Your trans could go toast at any moment.

Call other dealers for quotes.

Audi Chandler AZ
McDonald Audi Denver

Fellows,

Seems like everyone on here champions the Gold Plus extended warranty. Here's what I was quoted at Desert Audi of Las Vegas (car's at 53,850 miles, and these are $250 deductible prices):

3/36: $3,798
4/48: $4,463
5/60: $5,227

The 4/48 really fits me best, so I was considering that. They also mentioned that at 54,000 miles, the cost for my 4/48 jumps to $5,331, and the price jumps considerably for all the other options as well.

I realize that DRC was the big reason for buying warranty coverage for the car, but I haven't gone for the new DRC yet, as my old system works fine. My plan is to wait until the end of the 18-month window, as long as everything continues to function, and have it completed then. Thus, if I have a DRC problem in the meantime, my fix is to upgrade.

I obviously don't have much time to make a decision, what with being on the cusp of 54k. I'd like to know what having Gold Plus (or Platinum) has saved anyone on this forum. Has the warranty paid for itself, in anyone's case?

Is it worth it?

terrytcl
September 22nd, 2009, 17:47
warranty and it certainly paid for itself. Bruce is a great advocate when it is time for the warranty claims. Whatever you do, I strongly recommend a warranty and don't go a minute without being covered. The turbos are $5,500 and had to be replaced at 75K, numerous gaskets and seals have had to be replaced on my car, cam adjuster was approximatly $3k, fuel tank issue $2k, etc. etc. The tranny (knock on wood I have not had that issue yet) potential (7K) would pay for it by itself. Get the longest and best coverage that is available IMHO.

how did you know your turbos were gone?

MaxRS6
September 22nd, 2009, 18:09
a puddle of oil on the garage floor sent the car to the shop. The tech stated one turbo was toast and they recommended replacing both while they had the engine out. The cost was for both turbos (1,500/each), labor and various seals and gaskets while they were doing this work.

Amulet-S6
September 22nd, 2009, 18:27
Isn't there a tech bulletin that states the turbo's are to be replaced in pairs on these cars?

mmaturo
September 22nd, 2009, 20:11
Isn't there a tech bulletin that states the turbo's are to be replaced in pairs on these cars?

yessssss

terrytcl
September 22nd, 2009, 21:27
a puddle of oil on the garage floor sent the car to the shop. The tech stated one turbo was toast and they recommended replacing both while they had the engine out. The cost was for both turbos (1,500/each), labor and various seals and gaskets while they were doing this work.

interesting,
i too have oil leaking from the driver side area... up near the turbo. i wonder if i have the same issue.

did you ask the tech to check on the oil leak? and, they said the turbo was blown?

MaxRS6
September 22nd, 2009, 22:24

Both turbos should be done when one is done

MaxRS6
September 22nd, 2009, 22:27
interesting,
i too have oil leaking from the driver side area... up near the turbo. i wonder if i have the same issue.

did you ask the tech to check on the oil leak? and, they said the turbo was blown?

the tech said the driver side turbo was shot. If it had not been covered by warranty, I may have considered other turbo and upgrade options.

terrytcl
September 23rd, 2009, 03:35
the tech said the driver side turbo was shot. If it had not been covered by warranty, I may have considered other turbo and upgrade options.

i'm still trying to figure out how he noticed that from seeing oil. were you throwing any codes then?
sorry for the 100 questions... just trying to get some information so that when i have mine checked out, this is also something the tech considers.

DuckWingDuck
September 23rd, 2009, 03:40
cuz his tech threw some bolts into the turbos? Haha, jk

peiserg
September 23rd, 2009, 03:55
I'm bound to forget at least one repair... since there's been a bunch...

Leaking tranny gasket
Fuel Sender
Torque Converter ($4300)
N75 valve
ECU wire overlay
Rear radar
Tilt steering
Stuck AC switch
Brake Sensor
Boost Sensor

MaxRS6
September 23rd, 2009, 13:56
cuz his tech threw some bolts into the turbos? Haha, jk

and go on an European cruise. I think I'll slip some "medication" into his coffee today when I pick up my beast from its' home away from home.

MaxRS6
September 23rd, 2009, 13:59
i'm still trying to figure out how he noticed that from seeing oil. were you throwing any codes then?
sorry for the 100 questions... just trying to get some information so that when i have mine checked out, this is also something the tech considers.

I trust them (yikes) as they have always shot me straight and have warranty companies verifying their claims on the bigger repairs.

terrytcl
September 23rd, 2009, 23:38
I trust them (yikes) as they have always shot me straight and have warranty companies verifying their claims on the bigger repairs.

that's pretty extensive for a hunch... luckily it was true and the turbos were blown.