PDA

View Full Version : Took an RS 6 for a test drive this weekend...

3audis_sofar
September 21st, 2009, 14:53
OH - MY - GOD! :heart:

My current ride is a still tight, but aging, 171,000 mile 1994 S4 and have been planning to replace it with a 2004-2005 S4. I spotted an S-badged model at an independent dealer last week while running errands, made a call when I got home and found out is was an '03 RS6. Went back on Sunday to scope it out. It's got 74K miles, clean Carfax, had 2 owners, no stone chips, clean interior, plenty of brake pad left. Gray metallic paint with black interior and carbon fiber trim. Supposedly no shock leaks (at this time) an no "clunk in the trunk". Asking price is $25,900. Reading thru the forum I see that all cars will have the DRC replaced. There are three local Audi dealers I'll have to call to see who has an RS6 tech.

I took it for a test drive this past Saturday. This freakin' car is crack cocaine. One 20 minute drive and I'm addicted. The instant power and torque was awesome and was no comparison to the 2008 Trailblazer SS (395 hp) I had just taken for a test drive 30 minutes before. I did detect just a hint of "squirreliness" in the handling that may have been DRC related, or just me not being used to the power, but not sure. Anyway, I couldn't stop thinking about it all weekend. Even knowing the maintenance costs are expensive, I'm trying to rationalize buying it. I have an independent Audi master mechanic that will do the inspection and would take care of all the maint./repairs if I buy it.

Some questions:

1. How much for normal maintenance, i.e., oil changes, brakes, timing belt, etc.

2. Is it true that the timing belt needs to be replaced every 35-40K miles?

3. Is it true that the rotors need to be replaced when the pads are?

4. Anyone have a feel for what the Gold Plus warranty would cost for a 74K mile car?

5. Any other cost related comments?

s42ski
September 21st, 2009, 21:03
3 Audi's - to beat others to the punch, "search is your friend" to answer all your questions. But for the record,

Normal maintenance is expensive on the car (all values are approximate) - $250 for oil changes, timing belt every 35000 miles at $2500-3500, brakes are $2000 for just the parts and yes the car eats rotors and pads ( 15-25k miles seems about average)

Do not forget tires at $600-1200 a set every 10-20k miles.

If you have do it yourself capability then brakes and oil changes can be less expensive.

Warranty prices are all over the map but I would expect yours to be expensive with the higher mileage. I heard that over 60k is a big change.

So the car is expensive to keep - but worth it:rs6kiss:

PatriotRSX
September 21st, 2009, 21:19
On maintenance costs, I've got a couple for you here (http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18400).

Here's (http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17762) a very recent discussion on the brakes, with regard to pad options and the OEM pads' effect on the rotors.

Here's (http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19334) my latest post regarding the Gold Plus extended warranty and my mental wrangling about buying it versus not buying it.

I leave the timing belt question to the vets, because I'd like an answer to that one as well.

Bottom line: the car is addictively fast, sounds phenomenal, and is spacious enough to accommodate my wife, my baby boy, and both of my parents on a day trip to Hoover Dam last weekend. However, it averages only 16-17mpg in mixed driving and you'll live in fear of every service bill--expect to spend $500 at an absolute minimum every time you go in for something other than an oil change. Tires are $400 each.

I love my RS6 dearly, but I'm likely going to sell soon and start saving for a Lotus Evora. I want something simple, pure, light, and reliable.

All that said...anyone interested in a 54k, Mugello Blue over white, bone stock RS6?

WHB Porsche
September 21st, 2009, 21:58
I, too, just drove a C5 RS6 for the first time this weekend. To put things in perspective, I drove to the dealership in a 993TT (Porsche 911 Turbo). I was absolutely blown away by the RS6.

Is it faster or better handling than the P-car? No, of course not. That being said, the Audi is a thoroughly impressive car and the best blend of performance, comfort, sportiness, civility, class, and value that I have seen.

I actually enjoyed the RS6 more than the RS4 I drove this spring. Neither car is as involving as a true sports car, so there's no reason not to get the extra space and comfort of the -6.

The only cars I've had experience maintaining are the 993 and a Land Rover, so the Audi's maintenance costs are not a concern.

mmaturo
September 21st, 2009, 23:28
4+ year veteran here...and a million parts later (77K on mine) You do need to do the timing belt every 35 to 40K. However at an independent shop i have been quoted down to $1400-1700. (1700 al la carte at the dealer when i pulled off unnecessary filter and oil change done at same time). You also have to replace the plugs often and its a $400 job at the dealer. Oil changes I get for $100 at the independent shop. Cost comes in due to labor to drop or loosen the stabilizer bar that is in the way of the filter. Parts are not cheap on this thing and seem to be about double the normal Audi or BMW, P-car.

No the rotors do not get changed with the pads every time. But every other time probably so (plus/minus $800 for front set). I get 7K out of a set of pads and about 14K out of a set of front rotors. Rears last a really long time. Get the pads suggested here in recent posts. I'm fine on my third set of EBC reds for instance ($140 a set).

If you buy the 74K car go or call IMMEDIATELY to an Audi dealer and talk to their finance guy to purchase the premium Fidelity policy that is available. Too late after 75K. The last quote i had in June was 3 more years/36K for $5000 but was on sale for $4000. I didn't have the money at the time and i will really regret it soon i am sure as it will 300% pay for itself. In front suspension components (non DRC) alone.

3audis_sofar
September 21st, 2009, 23:51
Thanks for all the info, so far. It will definitely help with the decision.

DHall1
September 22nd, 2009, 07:38
My only additions

Find a lower mileage example and buy the Audi/Fidelity ext warranty.

Timing belts at 35-40k for ~1800
Brakes can be done for less than 1400 all 4 corners with EBC Reds and new Audi rotors all around. With EBC reds...your rotors could last 30-40k easy.

OH - MY - GOD! :heart:

My current ride is a still tight, but aging, 171,000 mile 1994 S4 and have been planning to replace it with a 2004-2005 S4. I spotted an S-badged model at an independent dealer last week while running errands, made a call when I got home and found out is was an '03 RS6. Went back on Sunday to scope it out. It's got 74K miles, clean Carfax, had 2 owners, no stone chips, clean interior, plenty of brake pad left. Gray metallic paint with black interior and carbon fiber trim. Supposedly no shock leaks (at this time) an no "clunk in the trunk". Asking price is $25,900. Reading thru the forum I see that all cars will have the DRC replaced. There are three local Audi dealers I'll have to call to see who has an RS6 tech.

I took it for a test drive this past Saturday. This freakin' car is crack cocaine. One 20 minute drive and I'm addicted. The instant power and torque was awesome and was no comparison to the 2008 Trailblazer SS (395 hp) I had just taken for a test drive 30 minutes before. I did detect just a hint of "squirreliness" in the handling that may have been DRC related, or just me not being used to the power, but not sure. Anyway, I couldn't stop thinking about it all weekend. Even knowing the maintenance costs are expensive, I'm trying to rationalize buying it. I have an independent Audi master mechanic that will do the inspection and would take care of all the maint./repairs if I buy it.

Some questions:

1. How much for normal maintenance, i.e., oil changes, brakes, timing belt, etc.

2. Is it true that the timing belt needs to be replaced every 35-40K miles?

3. Is it true that the rotors need to be replaced when the pads are?

4. Anyone have a feel for what the Gold Plus warranty would cost for a 74K mile car?

5. Any other cost related comments?

DHall1
September 22nd, 2009, 07:43
Good luck....I was test driving 996TTs the first time I drove an RS6. That was all she wrote. RS6 was a must have after that one test drive.

Find a low mileage example and get the Audi/Fidelity ext warranty.

I, too, just drove a C5 RS6 for the first time this weekend. To put things in perspective, I drove to the dealership in a 993TT (Porsche 911 Turbo). I was absolutely blown away by the RS6.

Is it faster or better handling than the P-car? No, of course not. That being said, the Audi is a thoroughly impressive car and the best blend of performance, comfort, sportiness, civility, class, and value that I have seen.

I actually enjoyed the RS6 more than the RS4 I drove this spring. Neither car is as involving as a true sports car, so there's no reason not to get the extra space and comfort of the -6.

The only cars I've had experience maintaining are the 993 and a Land Rover, so the Audi's maintenance costs are not a concern.

uncfrk
September 24th, 2009, 17:27
I also had my first RS6 drive Saturday. Now I own it. 3 Audis. Am I nuts!!!!!

MaxRS6
September 24th, 2009, 19:39

the crazy train.:addict:

mmaturo
September 25th, 2009, 04:49

I had 3 at one point too...hope to again. enjoy!

AUDI5000CSTQ
September 25th, 2009, 06:37
Have four currently,
1986 5000cstq 400k my fave, and much stiffer ride than RS
1993 100cs 250k
2001 Allroad 100k
2003 RS6 46k

Got rid of two
1984 5000s
1993 90cs

ben916
September 25th, 2009, 17:03
Have four currently,
1986 5000cstq 400k my fave, and much stiffer ride than RS
1993 100cs 250k
2001 Allroad 100k
2003 RS6 46k

Got rid of two
1984 5000s
1993 90cs

GEEZ!!! John, you better has stock in Audi.... forget the options...

JAXRS6
September 26th, 2009, 18:02
3audis, 75K mi is one of the threshholds recommended for the tune-up that requires timing belt replacement. Since the car you're looking at has 74K mi, it's possible (likely?) that the 75K tune has not been done yet. Suggest you find out and if that's the case, be prepared to pay for a tune-with-timing-belt soon after your purchase. Assuming you want to maintain factory maintenance recommendations, which is probably a good idea since you don't know how the car was driven.

3audis_sofar
September 26th, 2009, 23:33
3audis, 75K mi is one of the threshholds recommended for the tune-up that requires timing belt replacement. Since the car you're looking at has 74K mi, it's possible (likely?) that the 75K tune has not been done yet. Suggest you find out and if that's the case, be prepared to pay for a tune-with-timing-belt soon after your purchase. Assuming you want to maintain factory maintenance recommendations, which is probably a good idea since you don't know how the car was driven.

I agree. As much as I loved driving this car, I'm going to have to pass on it. Carfax is clean, but I don't have a detailed service history for it. Too many unknowns with this one. Buying it, and then having too put $ into service right away would be too much of a drain on my $ reserves. Oh well. Thanks for all the feedback.

JAXRS6
September 28th, 2009, 07:33
3audis, did you find out if the 75K service already was done? Some sellers do that to make the vehicle more marketable. I know I said it's "possible (likely?)" that it wasn't done, but you never know unless you ask. If it was done, and the suspension is good or you have a local dealer competent with the new paid-for-by-Audi DRC repairs, you could have three years of fun before paying big maintenance costs (assuming you drive it 12-13K mi/year). I would recommend an extended warranty though, and some are still available up to 80K mi. Last I checked about 10 months ago, one reputable company's plan even covered DRC if the contract started before 75K mi.