PDA

View Full Version : Boosting problems

Boost+V8=:)
September 21st, 2009, 02:40
Hey guys hows it going? This is my first post but unfortunatly its not a good one. I just had the RS6 flashed with Unitronics, and it was great for a day. I drove this morning with no problem, parked it for about an hour and took it out again. The second time I went out it seemed to have half the power it used to. Im wondering if maybe I tore one of the diverter valves or I blew a hose some how. Has any of this happend to you guys or have you had this problem before? The boost also seems to be irratic at low RPMs but at high RPMs it seems fine just slow. Let me know what you guys think, thanks alot.

Rob

hahnmgh63
September 21st, 2009, 06:32
I have blown off the lower intercooler hose after intercooler cleaning. At slower speeds with the windows rolled down roll on an off the throttle and you should be able to hear a boost leak. Like a swish of air but without the car pulling hard. You have to pull the belly pan off to get at the lower intercooler hoses but it could be the uppers or elseware, or ???

Avus-RS6
September 21st, 2009, 06:38
My car would barely run when the IC hose popped off, but it's worth checking anyways.

Perhaps your TCU was not flashed and the stock unit is noticing the extra torque and going into limp mode to protect the tranny.

September 21st, 2009, 17:11
^^^ Hmm I did hear alot of air comming from the left side but its only when I get on it. It runs great it only spuddered once that I can remember at idle. But ya there could be a boost leak anywhere in that car. It would be like finding a needle in a hay stack. Im really hoping that its just the diverter valves. Have you guys had that problem before?

September 21st, 2009, 17:19
Perhaps your TCU was not flashed and the stock unit is noticing the extra torque and going into limp mode to protect the tranny.

Is this possible? I figured also when they flashed it, it did both at once the ECU and the TCU. I could be wrong help me out guys. It was running soooooooo great for a day.

WHB Porsche
September 21st, 2009, 19:52
^^^ Hmm I did hear alot of air comming from the left side but its only when I get on it.

That makes sense if it's a boost leak, try having somebody else drive your car while you sit in the passenger seat to figure out if the right side sounds the same. Any sort of boost issue should be relatively easy to find - you only have to look at the plumbing between the turbo -> intercooler and intercooler -> throttle body.

Hy Octane
September 21st, 2009, 20:07
Hopefully its just a hose or something.. but
Anytime you change the original programming for aftermarket, you have to expect problems to arise..
There are so many safety oriented checks and balances built into these cars that the thing is just complaining that its getting conflicting inputs. It will always default to limp when confused.

hahnmgh63
September 21st, 2009, 20:11
Sounds like a hose to me. If you can't see anything from the top you will have to pull the belly pan and then you can easily get at the lower intercooler hoses. It is probably just pushed back but past the clamp but still somewhat on the car so at low boost it runs pretty much normal but at higher boosts there is no power and the wooshing sound of air when the window is down and probably even heard with the windows up if you listen closely. Rinse off the hose with car or Brake cleaner as well as the intercooler flange and reconnect.

September 21st, 2009, 21:41
Thanks guys for the help always appretiated. Ive been in the audi game for awhile now started with my K04 A4 that I still have now. But a boost leak on that car would be so easy to find. Im gonna get under the car today and see whats up. Im taking the car to H20 in Ocean City, its a 3 and a half hour drive for me so I want to make sure shes running her best. Thanks again guys and sorry my introduction thread was a bad one haha. Ill post some pics here soon.

Texas RS6
September 21st, 2009, 22:44
My drivers side top hose has blown off twice. Open the hood and look down next to the silver intake next to the headlight. Feel around it to make sure it is completely on.

Your description is just like the symptoms I had and that was the fix.

September 22nd, 2009, 16:08
Sweet man thanks for the help. So pretty much it seems like everyone is just blowing off boost hoses. No one seems to have problems with tearing the DV's?

V8weight
September 22nd, 2009, 17:36
Sweet man thanks for the help. So pretty much it seems like everyone is just blowing off boost hoses. No one seems to have problems with tearing the DV's?
I second the notion of a blown intercooler hose, but on a side note, replace the diverter valves anyways as a precautionary measure. I personally have had good luck with the forge 007's.

September 23rd, 2009, 00:26
Ya me too, I love the 007 exept you have to grease it every 3k miles.

terrytcl
September 23rd, 2009, 03:38
i too am using the 007s... haven't greased mine yet... have about 2k miles on them.

i'm running revo software with the yellow springs.
what about you guys with the forge diverters?
also, any issues with getting the front cover on with the forge diverters?
sometimes i wish i went with the p version (side vacuum attachment)

Spidercat
September 23rd, 2009, 04:21
i too am using the 007s... haven't greased mine yet... have about 2k miles on them.

i'm running revo software with the yellow springs.
what about you guys with the forge diverters?
also, any issues with getting the front cover on with the forge diverters?
sometimes i wish i went with the p version (side vacuum attachment)

terrytcl, I just checked mine. The greens are in the packaging, so the yellows are actually in the DVs. I had told you I had the green springs in before.
Do you mean the carbon fiber engine cover not fitting right? Mine goes on and off fine. I haven't had any issues so far, and my "non-warranty" mechanic swears by the Forge units on all the hi-po audis/vws he works on/builds, including his own. I have a similar set-up (Revo on race fuel setup with boost at 9, timing at about 6, and also an MTM TCU).

September 23rd, 2009, 21:07
Wow nice set up Spidercat. Im on Uni now and Ive been hearing some bad things all of a sudden. Any of you guys heard of any problems with Unitronic?

terrytcl
September 23rd, 2009, 23:37
terrytcl, I just checked mine. The greens are in the packaging, so the yellows are actually in the DVs. I had told you I had the green springs in before.
Do you mean the carbon fiber engine cover not fitting right? Mine goes on and off fine. I haven't had any issues so far, and my "non-warranty" mechanic swears by the Forge units on all the hi-po audis/vws he works on/builds, including his own. I have a similar set-up (Revo on race fuel setup with boost at 9, timing at about 6, and also an MTM TCU).

i'm on pump 93 gas, so i'm at 6 for boost, 3 for timing

i also have the mtm tcu...
i'm going to pull the trigger on the wagner intercoolers... i think mine are leaking.

i also need to have my turbos checked.

September 24th, 2009, 00:06
How did you guys get your MTM TCU? Was there an MTM dealer near you?

hahnmgh63
September 24th, 2009, 00:44
You send it in the states to Hoppen motorsports in FL. http://www.hoppenmotorsport.com/Home2.htm When I did it it only cost $100. Probably the same or not much more than that now.

September 24th, 2009, 05:17
Nice, ya I researched Hoppen but didnt know if I could just remove the TCU and send it off like they do with the ECU.

hahnmgh63
September 24th, 2009, 07:44
Yea, you pull the TCU from under the front passengers carpet and set it down there, it was a quick turn around. Many have done this but just a warning, my first TCU from Hoppen did not work and put the tranny in limp mode. No gear display on the dash and stuck in 3rd gear, no contact from the TCU with Vagcom. I mailed it back and they fixed it. Must have been a bad solder or something on the chip they installed.

snoopra
September 24th, 2009, 15:42
I did it in January for $125. No issues, smooth, faster shifts.

hahnmgh63
September 24th, 2009, 18:32
Can anyone tell the difference on the MTM chip in normal "D" or only in "S". I can't tell the before after difference except in "S".

September 24th, 2009, 19:56
^^ Well thats not good. How does it feel? What exactly does this chip do? It says it makes the trans able to hold more power but I dont believe that. It might shift faster but wouldnt the more power and faster shifting from the trans equate to blowing the trans?

Spidercat
September 24th, 2009, 22:35
That's what I intuitively thought also. Another member who had the MTM TCU upgrade performed already (Headshot?) enlightened me that the US-spec trans shifts slower than the Euro trans because the TCU lags the clutch, causing slower (and softer) shifts so you don't spill your coffee while driving--not that anyone does that! This causes extra wear on the clutch plates. So, quicker, crisper shifts may increase clutch plate life. Plus, quicker shifts are much more fun! I don't think it allows the trans to handle additional power/torque, though. Maybe someone in the trans business could confirm/explain better? Also, I think it allows you to build up the revs higher on power-brake launches, but can't confirm.
I drive almost exclusively in TIP mode, so never noticed any difference with D/S. I did notice it shifts remarkably quicker, but alas, not nearly as quickly as the new A3 w/DSG loaner I sometimes get! The rev matching on downshifts is really nice!

Bigglezworth
September 25th, 2009, 03:45
^^ Well thats not good. How does it feel? What exactly does this chip do? It says it makes the trans able to hold more power but I dont believe that. It might shift faster but wouldnt the more power and faster shifting from the trans equate to blowing the trans?
Actually quite the opposite. Clutch plates inside an automatic transmission work in a similar manner as those in manual transmissions. The more the clutch slips, the quicker it wears. The quicker it grabs, the less wear and tear and more immediate 'through power' to the drivetrain.

September 25th, 2009, 03:56
Sweet guys thanks for clearing that up for me.

So I found my boost leak problem haha. My bottom intercooler hose popped off and exploded the clamp. It was really amazing, I have never seen a clamp break in such a way. But I also found out that my car had this leak since I bought it. Now the car is dead quiet but before I could hear a mass load of air being sucked in. I just thought that was the air getting bottlenecked threw the turbo inlet pipes, but I was wrong. Even when I chipped the car it seemed alot faster and sounded like it was sucking twice as much air. Now I went around and checked each clamp and replaced some with T-bolts and it is like Im driving a prius haha. Its dead quiet and alot quicker and torquier. Thanks again guys for helping me out, If I knew my car wasnt supposed to sound like that when I got it from audi this wouldnt be a problem. The worst part is those idiots didnt even notice it when they did the 15k service.

Hope to see some of you at H20 if you can make it.

September 25th, 2009, 03:58
Bigglezworth I am so jealous of you. This man has a GNX in his garage, good taste my friend. Shoot me a PM if it ever comes time to sell it.

Ebony rs6
September 25th, 2009, 04:12
Hey guys hows it going? This is my first post but unfortunatly its not a good one. I just had the RS6 flashed with Unitronics, and it was great for a day. I drove this morning with no problem, parked it for about an hour and took it out again. The second time I went out it seemed to have half the power it used to. Im wondering if maybe I tore one of the diverter valves or I blew a hose some how. Has any of this happend to you guys or have you had this problem before? The boost also seems to be irratic at low RPMs but at high RPMs it seems fine just slow. Let me know what you guys think, thanks alot.

Rob
I myself have the same thing happening now and just had an N80. valve replaced.No map light but half the power thrust and exhaust sound.Was perfect before this service.

terrytcl
September 25th, 2009, 04:34
those of you with the MTM TCU upgrade... i too feel a huge difference in S mode than D mode...

both tiptronic mode and S mode are the same in power. seems like the car keeps wanting to go, almost like the redline is too low... in D mode though, i don't feel any difference after the TCU upgrade except for the downshifting. everything else seems the same to me.

i'm going to fork over the $$$$ for the Wagner ICs... i'll also upgrade the silicone boost hoses while i'm doing it. i'll have to see what they diagnose for my tranny and front oil leak... perhaps these items will be done after those are repaired.

September 28th, 2009, 08:14
Ya guys this is getting annoying. I ran into a C6 Z06 and two R32 Skylines all at once and ofcourse that stupid hose popped off. I still ran with them but it was nothing like it should be. So what are you guys doing to keep these dam hoses on. Twice it happend over the weekend, its rediculous. Im also using T-bolts only on the hose that keeps popping and it still didnt help.

BTW won first place at H20 I was pretty pumped haha.

hahnmgh63
September 28th, 2009, 08:20
Did you completely de-grease the intercooler inlet/outlet and the interior of the hose before re-connecting? If you have some course emery cloth or sandpaper try roughing up the inside of the hose where it slips over the pipe, it may help a little. Otherwise your hoses may need to get replaced as the rubber will get harder over the years and have less surface tension on the inlet/outlet pipes. May be time to go silicone, I'm waiting for my tranny to need to come out to go silicone. I did replace many of the vacuum lines under the airfilter housing as the stock cloth covered rubber lines are of poor quality and many have had issues with them leaking.

V8weight
September 28th, 2009, 23:30
Yeah, the hoses need to completely clean. I remove all 6 hoses every time I change my oil and clean them with lacquer thinner and reinstall them just to be safe.

September 29th, 2009, 18:06
^^^ Wow thats alot of work for an oil change haha but I bet you dont have problems with them comming off.

Ya guys Ill attack it again this weekend I was on the side of the road/parking lot fixing the hose last weekend. The cars only has 18k on it now so I think the hoses are fine and they are in pretty good shape. I should deffinatley get the oil out of there and off the intercooler.

I saw some pretty sweet RS's down in Ocean City. There was a DG one dropped on DPE wheels and exhaust. Never met the owner but if there on here I have some questions. There was also a bright red one that did a brake launch right in front of us, it was funny.

DHall1
September 29th, 2009, 18:27
Lacquer thinner is the real car guys all purpose cleaner.

That stuff is amazing. Just dont leave it on painted surfaces too long. (for those that have never used it)

I keep 2 gallons in the garage at all times.

:cool2:

Yeah, the hoses need to completely clean. I remove all 6 hoses every time I change my oil and clean them with lacquer thinner and reinstall them just to be safe.

DuckWingDuck
September 29th, 2009, 20:41
haha, ya, i was just about to say, it is a very good all purpose cleaner but you want to be careful with that stuff!!

ben916
September 29th, 2009, 21:01
what about 1.1.1. trichloroethane?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,1,1-Trichloroethane

Just don't breathe it heavy...

terrytcl
September 29th, 2009, 21:30
isn't trichloroethane what was used in brake cleaners before they sold non-chlorinated product?

the non-chlorinated brake cleaners work well too to clean out oil build up / residue.

just make sure you have a well ventilated garage.

ben916
September 29th, 2009, 21:39
isn't trichloroethane what was used in brake cleaners before they sold non-chlorinated product?

the non-chlorinated brake cleaners work well too to clean out oil build up / residue.

just make sure you have a well ventilated garage.

I think you are correct.

We/I used to use it to clean stators in the minesweep generators and other electrical/electronic components in areas of oily environments.

September 30th, 2009, 17:32
I prefer throttle body cleaner. Its kinda expensive but it will clean a head back to brand new looking.