PDA

View Full Version : Gas fumes when tank full ..

Hy Octane
September 19th, 2009, 19:48
Well its been almost a month now since something went wrong with my beast, almost a new record..,..but now..A New trick..

Fill tank, smell strong gas fumes coming from drivers side rear under car somewhere but no drips anywhere. After I burn it down to 3/4 tank it goes away. Seems strongest after doing some mild turns.
Anyone else ever had this or have any clues?

MaxRS6
September 19th, 2009, 20:09
Yes- I had it 3 times and the gas tank had to be replaced each time. It was due to a leaking seam on the upper portion of the fuel tank

Hy Octane
September 19th, 2009, 20:23
Great! Thanks..
Thats what I was worried about too.
Going in next week for DRC and fuel tank issues..
Must have replaced at least half of the components of this car already.

MaxRS6
September 19th, 2009, 20:27
Currently mine is in for a manifold gasket, and having to wait on the slow boat from Germany with the parts.

Spidercat
September 19th, 2009, 21:34
Hy Octane,
Sounds like how mine started:
http://rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18174&highlight=fuel+pump

Bottom line: leaking roll-over valve on top of gas tank= new "improved" fuel tank and probably new fuel pump (since fittings swell after a few years and the old one may not fit).

MaxRS6
September 19th, 2009, 22:06
put in the new fuel tank(s).

Hy Octane
September 20th, 2009, 01:29
So, if there was no problem with the original fuel tanks, why is there now a 'New improved' replacement tank that requires a different fuel pump and stuff?
Calling SA tomorrow to argue. Fuel tanks, trannies, suspension, motor problems, everything fails on this thing that shouldnt and they look at us like its expected.. Starting to get really mad..Damned thing cant stay out of the shop for more than a couple of weeks at a time..

SAF
September 20th, 2009, 03:29
And pulling that tank means pulling the rear end. Not fun.

snoopra
September 20th, 2009, 05:37
Well on the bright side, you'll have a "new" beast when your done:)

Spidercat
September 20th, 2009, 11:01
Yeah, "one piece at a time."

The mech showed me the pulled fuel pump. He tried to make it fit, but there is an intergral plastic ring that can't be removed/is not sold separately (as there is no part #). The ring swells over time, and just doesn't fit anymore, hence the whole new fuel pump.

I was told that the plastic nipple on the roll-over valve on top was a weak point that would break over time, and they eventually reinforced it. IIRC, it was an actual recall on allroads, but not RS6s.

Hy Octane, put up a stink! You of all people have had WAY more than your fair share of RS6 problems! And to boot, you are an original owner, no?

They (Audi) sprang for my pump eventually, when the warranty co said "nothing's wrong with the fuel pump--denied" That was the right thing to do, Audi!

mmaturo
September 21st, 2009, 05:34
Yeah, "one piece at a time."

The mech showed me the pulled fuel pump. He tried to make it fit, but there is an intergral plastic ring that can't be removed/is not sold separately (as there is no part #). The ring swells over time, and just doesn't fit anymore, hence the whole new fuel pump.

I was told that the plastic nipple on the roll-over valve on top was a weak point that would break over time, and they eventually reinforced it. IIRC, it was an actual recall on allroads, but not RS6s.

Hy Octane, put up a stink! You of all people have had WAY more than your fair share of RS6 problems! And to boot, you are an original owner, no?

They (Audi) sprang for my pump eventually, when the warranty co said "nothing's wrong with the fuel pump--denied" That was the right thing to do, Audi!

Does this have anything to do with the fuel gauge readings being off? Mine is still f'd up. It worked fine till 6 months ago with last tranny drop. Cluster replaced and fuel sending unit but still the same problem with the last 1/4 of a tank reading incorrectly.

I feel you Hy Octane. I think i have had enough parts on my car to build several RS6s...little over 4 years of ownership here with it in the shop for 20% of that time. Keeps the miles down i guess when its in the shop every other month. A of A had nothing but sympathy but will certainly do nothing to make up for it.

At least it is fast...easy kill yesterday some dude tried to race me to a merge in a SRT-10 Dodge Ram...not sure he was expecting me to kick his ass...twice.

AUDI5000CSTQ
September 21st, 2009, 05:53
Hy Octane, Had mine replaced in Feb along with the TC. Search " Gas Tank Leak" You will find photos of my invoice. Also this post showed my broken roll over valve.
http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?p=154530#post154530 . I also own an Allroad. When I called AOA they said " well it's a different P/N so it doesn't count.
but my was covered under CPO.

DuckWingDuck
September 21st, 2009, 06:35
Does this have anything to do with the fuel gauge readings being off? Mine is still f'd up. It worked fine till 6 months ago with last tranny drop. Cluster replaced and fuel sending unit but still the same problem with the last 1/4 of a tank reading incorrectly.

Sad to say but that's normal. Mine does it all the time, I think we just talked about this last week and amusingly enough I had been talking to my tech about the exact same thing earlier in the day because he had a customer complain about this behaviour on his A6. The last quarter of the gauge is famously unreliable.

I feel you Hy Octane. I think i have had enough parts on my car to build several RS6s...little over 4 years of ownership here with it in the shop for 20% of that time. Keeps the miles down i guess when its in the shop every other month. A of A had nothing but sympathy but will certainly do nothing to make up for it. [/QUOTE]

Man, you and Paul are probably the two unluckiest owners for the car, I don't think Paul's had the car right since month 3 of owning it.

Hy Octane
September 22nd, 2009, 19:24
UPDATE!!

Ok.. Just heard back from Audi. It appears that in California, the emission control laws require that any car sold here must have a 7 year 70k mile warranty on all systems associated with emissions.. this includes the fuel tank system..
So, for those of us who have a gas tank failure in California only, its covered under warranty by Audi according to law.
Going in next monday for DRC and fuel tank replacement..
Audi 5000CSTQ, it looks like Audi owes you some money back.. Like ALL of it!

DuckWingDuck
September 22nd, 2009, 20:59
Nice! Time for me to go get a new gas tank!!

vangelis
October 24th, 2009, 20:19
Guys, I have a leak problem now with my fuel tank :( , fuel drips is very dangerous close to the exahust, the dealer telling me a crazy price for a new fuel tank ($1750 USD) without labour, is that true guys!!! I doubt it. Please let me know how much it cost you if any one paid for that and also if you aware about anywhere else I can get a fuel tank used or new.

MaxRS6
October 24th, 2009, 20:28
Guys, I have a leak problem now with my fuel tank :( , fuel drips is very dangerous close to the exahust, the dealer telling me a crazy price for a new fuel tank ($1750 USD) without labour, is that true guys!!! I doubt it. Please let me know how much it cost you if any one paid for that and also if you aware about anywhere else I can get a fuel tank used or new.

$875 for the tank, and $440 for the fuel pump that had to be done with the tank replacement.

vangelis
October 24th, 2009, 20:35
$875 for the tank, and $440 for the fuel pump that had to be done with the tank replacement.

Oh shit :doh:,, thanks alot, its still too much cost, is there anyway to push Audi to replace it since there was a recall for that in some other countries like US? or you think i will be hard here. I've done the DRC repair with new shocks after long time of fights to be the first here getting this. So, is there any chance to get the fuel tank also?I think i need to get any official link or letter showing that fuel tank recall.

mmaturo
October 24th, 2009, 21:10
Oh shit :doh:,, thanks alot, its still too much cost, is there anyway to push Audi to replace it since there was a recall for that in some other countries like US? or you think i will be hard here. I've done the DRC repair with new shocks after long time of fights to be the first here getting this. So, is there any chance to get the fuel tank also?I think i need to get any official link or letter showing that fuel tank recall.

Unfortunately the fuel tank recall in the US was only for regular A6 models and All-Roads and not the RS6 as they say it is a different tank although it is failing exactly the same way. I asked about it very clearly as i was having a variety of fuel related problems at one point (accurate reading of amount of gas in the tank).

vangelis
October 24th, 2009, 21:20
Yeah, I also assuming the same, that same fuel tank used in all C5 models is the same, at least the A6, AllRoad, RS6 4.2 all should have the same tank, isn't it?

Does anyone have an idea if its possible to get an used fuel tank from anyother country? is it possible to ship it?

Hy Octane
October 25th, 2009, 04:36
Audi says its a different tank that just happens to be failing the same way as the oem tank is....

Like we are supposed tobelieve that they designed a special different one for the RS6 for some reason.. hmmm??

SOP guys. AoA always takes the position of 'everythings fine.. prove otherwise" whereas our Gmbh brothers say.. " Whaaaast? Bring it in immediately.. we are so sorry.. we'll fix it free of charge.. so sorry.."

BLITZEN
November 15th, 2010, 16:24
I know I'm resurrecting a thread more than a year old here. Nevertheless, I'm smelling gas fumes from time to time. I'll start paying more attention to how full my tank is when this happens. But I can tell you I only smell it outside the car, not in the cabin. Like the others on this thread, there is no dripping. Has anyone else had this happen with any other diagnosis and treatment of replacing the tank and pump? Thanks!!

SAFE4NOW
November 15th, 2010, 16:27
I know I'm resurrecting a thread more than a year old here. Nevertheless, I'm smelling gas fumes from time to time. I'll start paying more attention to how full my tank is when this happens. But I can tell you I only smell it outside the car, not in the cabin. Like the others on this thread, there is no dripping. Has anyone else had this happen with any other diagnosis and treatment of replacing the tank and pump? Thanks!!

Nice timing. Actually, I just had the update performed on my car. They have a kit, that basicly " bonds " the leaking piece and surrounding area with JB Weld like product. No fumes since.

Hope all else is well

Steve

DHall1
November 15th, 2010, 16:28
Fill up car then drive it home a short distance. Inspect under the rear seat by taking off inspection covers. Also look up under the car from the underside around the tank.

Member with over 100k has just gotten the gas tank covered as goodwill from Audi.

DHall1
November 15th, 2010, 16:29
Hi Steve,

Two owners have just had new gas tanks from a Audi dealer.

What are the details of the kit? Is there a bulletin?

Nice timing. Actually, I just had the update performed on my car. They have a kit, that basicly " bonds " the leaking piece and surrounding area with JB Weld like product. No fumes since.

Hope all else is well

Steve

MaxRS6
November 15th, 2010, 16:31
Also- Look at this thread. I'm very happy with AoA response to my personal issue..;)

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21527-A6-Fuel-Rollover-Valve-Recall/page2?highlight=gas+tank

SAFE4NOW
November 15th, 2010, 18:22
Hi Steve,

Two owners have just had new gas tanks from a Audi dealer.

What are the details of the kit? Is there a bulletin?

Recall part #'s
Adhesive Z3M DP8 005
applicator D 001 001

This is the kit they used for the " other " A6's .... and it corrected my problem.

Steve