PDA

View Full Version : problem..click sound coming from the front

MarkusRS6
September 14th, 2009, 21:48
I've posted this on another forum as well but am still looking for the answer, maybe somebody here has an idea?

I noticed a weird click coming from one of the front wheels. When I release the brake and press on the gas to get going, a pretty obvious click sound comes from the wheel area, I thought it had something with the brakes, but it also does it when I for instance turn sharply into a parking space and press on the gas to get in there, without having used the brake. Anyone an idea what this could be?

AudiRS4ever
September 14th, 2009, 22:34
Most likely the CV boots are split.

hahnmgh63
September 14th, 2009, 22:54
In order of importance check: wheel bolts, CV joints, possibly a rock in the caliper (not too likely considering it is somewhat intermittent).

snoopra
September 14th, 2009, 23:37
Most likely busted CV boot and CV joint needs replacing. Clicking noise will be "louder" when coming from the CV joint oposite to the way your turning the wheel.

hahnmgh63
September 15th, 2009, 01:19
How many miles are on the car? Any work been done on the front end/suspension/brakes recently?

MarkusRS6
September 15th, 2009, 07:32
thanks for the replies guys, I will definitly have my CV joints and boots checked

100k miles on the car! the only work that has been done recently was changing the tyres. I did recheck the wheel bolts, they are fine.

hahnmgh63
September 15th, 2009, 14:41
With 100K on the car I would also be leaning towards the CV Joints. If it turns out to be them try www.raxles.com (http://www.raxles.com) as he has some of the best prices and I would say his axles are equal or better than OEM with all synthetic lubricants too. I bought a set for my daughters A4 a while back and was very impressed. I live the other side of the country from him and shipping wasn't too bad for such heavy items.

MarkusRS6
September 24th, 2009, 22:11
Good news guys, it has been fixed

It turned out to be my lower control arm at the front!

mmaturo
September 25th, 2009, 04:47
Good news guys, it has been fixed

It turned out to be my lower control arm at the front!

I should have chimed in...i'm on my third set, a more of a clunk occurs for the uppers......i'm on my 4th set of those...a pop noise is more like it for the links and the stabilizer bar (3 of those too)

hahnmgh63
September 25th, 2009, 10:19
Glad you posted, elseware on her I mentioned that during my KW install over a month ago I replaced the upper control arms and the upper rear on both sides was shot. I was lazy and didn't do the lowers at the time but have since ordered the 034 Motorsports Spherical bushing set that fits the lower control arm (both). I will be installing this in the next month and I'll let you all know how it turns out. It should provide much longer life than the stock rubber bushings, better turn-in, feel (due to much freer suspension movement). What it may also provide is a little more harshness transmitted to the car since there won't be the pliable rubber? We'll see if it is very noticeable. I have all Monoball joints on my 911 and I don't notice anymore harshness than stock.

terrytcl
September 25th, 2009, 16:18
034 Motorsports Spherical bushing set that fits the lower control arm (both).

is this what you're talking about?
http://www.europrice.us/034sphericala.jpg

so, 4 total are included?

hahnmgh63
September 25th, 2009, 22:58
That looks like them although I purchased them directly from 034 and not from Europrice. http://www.034motorsport.com/product_info.php?products_id=18307

vangelis
December 21st, 2009, 15:50
Guys, can you please advice whether that 034 Motorsports Spherical bushing set includes only bushings or a full set of control arms including upgraded bushings?

hahnmgh63
December 21st, 2009, 16:39
Just the bushings for $695 but the sell the arms and will install the bushings in a set of arms for you if you want a package deal. I am going to start installing my bushings (034) next week.