PDA

View Full Version : Replacing RS6 EGT sensor

dmross
September 9th, 2009, 02:47
My new RS6 keeps throwing an EGT error for "bank 2 (G236)". Clearing the codes doesn't help, it comes right back. I logged block 112 in VAGCOM and found that the sensor is constantly reading 1110C, even at idle. Fiddling with the plugs made no difference so I assume the actual sensor is bad.

The two sensors look identical to the 2.7T sensors for sale on jhmotorsport but I'm not 100% sure if they are the same or not. The part number for the pink one is 077 919 529E.

Has anyone who has replaced either EGT sensor on their RS6 tell me if they can be easily accessed if I jack up the car? Also, does "bank 2 (G236)" refer to the driver or passenger side (USDM) and which is it, the black or pink one?

V8weight
September 9th, 2009, 03:11
I don't know about the fitment of 2.7 o2's in the RS6, but ECS tuning sells them for the RS6 at a reasonable price. http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-RS6--4.2T/Engine/Electrical/ES4801/
Bank 2 is the drivers side. Changing these yourself is not for the faint of heart, Audi charges 20hrs of labor as it requires removing the engine/transmission. The truth is they can be changed with the engine in the car, it just takes some patience. You have to support the engine from the top with a transverse bar and remove the engine cradle from the bottom, as well as the catback exhaust. You then have to lower the engine about 4 inches to gain access to the 8 downpipe flange bolts. Before you start, buy all 8 nuts, studs, and two downpipe gaskets. Thats pretty much it, the hardest part is fishing the new sensor wires back up behind the bell housing and retieing them in their original positions.
Oh, I forgot to add, the brown plug is is for the passenger sensor (g235) and the black one is for the drivers side (g236).

Hy Octane
September 9th, 2009, 03:17
What he^ said...

DHall1
September 9th, 2009, 03:46
+2 ^^

Hurry up and get a Audi/Fidelity extended warranty before the time runs out.

hahnmgh63
September 9th, 2009, 03:49
That is good to know about the sensors on ECS as the ETKA lists two different part #'s for left & right 077 919 529D and 077 919 529E. Anyone have the latest ETKA updates? I'll search the ECS part # and see what I find as the ETKA part #'s are very expensive. As ECS lists one part # for both, I guess there would no longer be cute colors but if they operate the same for almost half price I'll take it.

dmross
September 9th, 2009, 18:47
I don't know about the fitment of 2.7 o2's in the RS6, but ECS tuning sells them for the RS6 at a reasonable price. http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-RS6--4.2T/Engine/Electrical/ES4801/
Bank 2 is the drivers side. Changing these yourself is not for the faint of heart, Audi charges 20hrs of labor as it requires removing the engine/transmission. The truth is they can be changed with the engine in the car, it just takes some patience. You have to support the engine from the top with a transverse bar and remove the engine cradle from the bottom, as well as the catback exhaust. You then have to lower the engine about 4 inches to gain access to the 8 downpipe flange bolts. Before you start, buy all 8 nuts, studs, and two downpipe gaskets. Thats pretty much it, the hardest part is fishing the new sensor wires back up behind the bell housing and retieing them in their original positions.
Oh, I forgot to add, the brown plug is is for the passenger sensor (g235) and the black one is for the drivers side (g236).

Unless I am misinformed, the EGT sensors are separate from the o2 sensors. I thought the o2 sensors are in the downpipe and the EGT sensors are in the exhaust manifold somewhere (simple thermocouple).

The pic of the set on jh motorsports looks like this:

http://www.jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/images/2_7T_pair_EGT.jpg

They look exactly like this in the engine bay near the center of the firewall.

Either way, I have decided to buy the Audi/Fidelity extended warranty to cover me in the future.

DHall1
September 9th, 2009, 19:00
The most accurate reading for EGT is in the exhaust manifold.

The EGT and O2 cannot be one in the same.

Good move on the Audi/Fidelity. At your low mileage the policy should be real cheap. ~3,000 for a good 6yr plan.

Good luck

Unless I am misinformed, the EGT sensors are separate from the o2 sensors. I thought the o2 sensors are in the downpipe and the EGT sensors are in the exhaust manifold somewhere (simple thermocouple).

The pic of the set on jh motorsports looks like this:

http://www.jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/images/2_7T_pair_EGT.jpg

They look exactly like this in the engine bay near the center of the firewall.

Either way, I have decided to buy the Audi/Fidelity extended warranty to cover me in the future.

hahnmgh63
September 9th, 2009, 19:26
You are both correct, the EGT sensors are in the exhaust manifold and the link is for O2 sensors which there are four, one in each downpipe and one next to the second Cat. I didn't pay close enough attention to his link so yes, the EGT sensors are expensive, that is the average going price for the O2 sensors or a little high for that matter.