PDA

View Full Version : DRC recall somewhere exept US and UK?

STM
September 8th, 2009, 21:06
Could you please share any info about this matter?
I have got out of warranty beast in Russia with dead suspension and I'd really like to find some way not to pay tonns of money for fix these issue at only 42000 km :)

DuckWingDuck
September 8th, 2009, 21:53
The easy answer, and you're probably not going to like it... get the KW or H&R.

DHall1
September 8th, 2009, 23:32
^^ What Greg says is the only way to go.

Its not even a consideration given your location. Get the KW or HR setup.

Sorry for the bad news but it would be worse if you even tried to fix the DRC and it would cost 3 times more.

hahnmgh63
September 9th, 2009, 01:12
The KW's are probably going to cost you around 1500~1600 Euro and the H&R's are a couple hundred Euro less. Not sure what if any import duties you have to pay in Russian if you order from Western Europe.

STM
September 9th, 2009, 18:29
So, seems like you haven't got much faith in improved DRC variant :)

As I understood H&R is better for everyday use?
Even without Hotchkis bars?

Considering the price - I think they're pretty equal here - about 3000 USD.

DuckWingDuck
September 9th, 2009, 18:31
uh yes, if you're looking for more of an every day type of feel, the H&R is apparently the way to go.

I would also try to contact grizz to see if he can cut you a better deal on the H&R as USD3,000 seems quite high.

DHall1
September 9th, 2009, 19:05
I have complete faith in the new DRC struts.

However, we live in the US where the dealers are using the new special tool.

I also have the Audi/Fidelity extended warranty which means I dont pay out of pocket for any screw ups by the dealer.

You on the other hand may or may not have a dealer that is well trained with the new struts or new special tool. Thus, your looking at a $6,000 dollar repair with ?? on if they can do the repair properly.

If I had to pay 6,000 dollars and there was any ?? on the outcome. I would ditch the DRC in a second and buy the H/R struts.

IMHO

So, seems like you haven't got much faith in improved DRC variant :)

As I understood H&R is better for everyday use?
Even without Hotchkis bars?

Considering the price - I think they're pretty equal here - about 3000 USD.

hahnmgh63
September 9th, 2009, 19:22
In my case, the only time I've had the car to the dealer other than the 35K timing belt job was for the new DRC (twice) my dealer is just over an hour away if the traffic is good and during business hours it is seldom good so it was a hassle and costing me time/money to go there. After the KW install my car handles better than with the DRC and I was able to lower it to a height that I think looks better and enhances the handling of the car. If the car was a daily commuter on rough roads it would have been a little tougher decision but that is not what I got the car for and a daily commuter for me would have been fine with the roads I travel but I have a tt for that anyways (which by the way also has a set of coilovers on it). And the fact that I will probably never have to worry about the KW's failing or even changing there ride characteristics over time like the DRC did.

STM
September 9th, 2009, 19:53
I have complete faith in the new DRC struts.

However, we live in the US where the dealers are using the new special tool.

DHall, it's no question that if the situation will be that bad I'll go for coilovers. Now I assume that dealer have that tool.

Improved variant normally doesn't require to replace the valves and I can find remaining genue parts for about 2300-2400 USD. Total price will be around 3000 I suppose.

Plus I now nothing about KW or H&R reliability in dirty winter and I'm not going to track the car.

In this situation "complete faith" is a phrase to discuss very seriously. Don't you think? :)

PS Is anyone knows the part numbers of that improved variant???

vangelis
September 9th, 2009, 20:29
Guys, I would like to know why everyone saying that DRC repair always very expensive, as some of you aware I had an accident with my car and it is under repair now, insurance going to replace front 2 shocks in dealer shop as the job need to be done by dealer only. The dealer charges cost of 260$ per shock obsrb. I don't see that a very expensive price for a geniue german parts specially for such car. Dealer said the valves does not need to be replaced and I'll have 2 years warranty on them in case any leak develops. I had my car for almost a year now and it happened only 2 times that I had a these shocks leaking but covered and done for free by dealer itself at I bought it CPO used car from dealer.

DuckWingDuck
September 9th, 2009, 20:51
each shock absorber in the US parts system is $2600. I think you might be missing a 0 there...

vangelis
September 9th, 2009, 20:54
each shock absorber in the US parts system is $2600. I think you might be missing a 0 there...

OMG ,, no way!!!!! I saw the bill today and I'm sure about it, The cost was 952 AED = 261 USD$. I will give a call to the dealer tomorrow again to confirm it but I'm really sure.

DuckWingDuck
September 9th, 2009, 21:00
hey, maybe we can start a business sourcing audi parts through the ME! Heh, but ya, that is the reason why people complain so vehemently about the DRC here, the costs are quite high.

SAF
September 9th, 2009, 21:14

Huh? Where in the world do you come up with that price? LOL!

DHall1
September 9th, 2009, 22:29
Greg,

Are you back on the crack again?

LOL

DHall1
September 9th, 2009, 22:34
To answer your question more directly.

If you asking how to get a repair covered without any cost. How are people in other countries going to get that information for you? My crystal ball is broken.

You can call your local Audi dealer and ask them. Or Audi/Russia if it exists and ask why no recall for Russia.

Could you please share any info about this matter?
I have got out of warranty beast in Russia with dead suspension and I'd really like to find some way not to pay tonns of money for fix these issue at only 42000 km :)

SAF
September 9th, 2009, 23:39
If anyone wants a deal, I'll sell 'em four brand new OEM Audi DRC shocks for $400 off MSRP....only $10,000! ;)

DuckWingDuck
September 10th, 2009, 04:21
isn't it that price? Shit, let me try to dig up the paperwork when I had mine taken out.

Er.. ya, okay, so clearly I was on something, just looked at my paperwork, each absorber is $336.77.

:-D

SAF
September 10th, 2009, 05:48
LOL, mine listed around $275 each last year.

(IMing my addy, please share whatsever yous got ;))

vangelis
September 10th, 2009, 07:03
LOL, mine listed at $260 this week :)

Any one have an idea how much the average of each CV?

STM
September 10th, 2009, 16:15
To answer your question more directly.

If you asking how to get a repair covered without any cost. How are people in other countries going to get that information for you? My crystal ball is broken.

You can call your local Audi dealer and ask them. Or Audi/Russia if it exists and ask why no recall for Russia.

So recall action usually initiated not by Audi itself but by local representative?
I've just thought someone may have some internal info from head office :vhmmm: Like Qisha :)

Future discussion based on following question:
Is properly installed improved DRC reliable? Or same as all previous fixes? Do we have any statistics by now?

Second - part numbers of the last version.

SAF
September 10th, 2009, 17:20
The "service action" is a regional thing so far. But I would think that with enough info in hand, you could get a dealer to push an advocate to make you whole again with the new struts.

As for the reliability of the new components, at this point who knows? There have been problems with some of the results but it seems to be related to the actual mechanical work rather than the components. This is something Audi needs to address quickly and also globally.

IMO, when DRC is working properly, it is a great system. It was designed for the car from day one and is suitable for probably 99% of the intended customers and their driving habits.

DHall1
September 11th, 2009, 09:46
^^ What he said. +1

Part numbers have been posted. Search should find them.

If I remember correctly the numbers were the same with just the addition of rubber boots to cover the shaft.

Shoppinit
September 13th, 2009, 21:54
I had a quote from Audi for 428EUR per shock. That's about 625$US.

That's just parts. I put Bilstein PSS9s on. The whole set cost me 1500EUR.

vangelis
September 13th, 2009, 22:24
I had a quote from Audi for 428EUR per shock. That's about 625$US.

That's just parts. I put Bilstein PSS9s on. The whole set cost me 1500EUR.

Oh,, 625$US!! that is almost 3x times the original price.
Anyone bought Central Valves before can tell the average price?

STM
September 14th, 2009, 07:35
For those who'll need it in the future.

Part numbers for improved DRC:

Front left shock - 4B3413031R
Front right - 4B3413032B
Rear left - 4B3513031P
Rear right - 4B3513032B

Valves - same as in old system:
Left - 4B3616807A
Right - 4B3616808A

Tubes (not sure if necessary to replace):
Front left - 4B3616711
Front right - 4B3616712
Rear left - 4B3616715
Rear right - 4B3616716

Boots (by pairs):
Front - 4F0412137
Rear - 4B0512137C

And some... gasket?:
N0138115

STM
September 14th, 2009, 07:37
And hydraulic oil - same as was:

G052731A2

vangelis
September 14th, 2009, 09:22
Anyone have the part number of the old DRC shocks?

Front left shock
Front right
Rear left
Rear right

Any idea about the cost of each valve?

Shoppinit
September 14th, 2009, 09:55
Anyone have the part number of the old DRC shocks?

Front left shock
Front right
Rear left
Rear right

On my quote from 16/02/09:

Front left shock: 4B3 413 031P
Front right: 4B3 413 032
Rear left: 4B3 513 031M
Rear right: 4B3 513 032

Shoppinit
September 14th, 2009, 13:12
680EUR each.

vangelis
September 14th, 2009, 13:51
Thanks STM & Shoppinit for the feedback.

680EUR each valve!! sounds so expensive, Can someone from US confirm the price there?

Shoppinit
September 14th, 2009, 13:53
Thanks STM & Shoppinit for the feedback.

680EUR each valve!! sounds so expensive, Can someone from US confirm the price there?
There must be hundreds of them lying around in peoples garages :) Or hanging uselessly under their cars (like mine).

Shoppinit
September 14th, 2009, 13:54
http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/genuine-part-valve_217061.html