PDA

View Full Version : Question about a slipping tranny

p3u
September 7th, 2009, 19:56
When they start to slip is it usually the torque converter that slips, or the clutch packs in the tranny?

I think I've come to the conclusion my tranny is the culprit to my power issues. I did a log yesterday after my car seemed to be running weird, at 6200rpm in 1st it showed my cars speed at 46kmh... Normally it should be around ~65kmh at that rpm..

Unwanted upgrades on the way lol!

Texas RS6
September 8th, 2009, 02:14
The Audi Dealer in Plano TX just replaced the Torque Converter in my car. I had a check engine light with a fault code, something about the clutch slip in the torque converter.

Fortunately the certified warranty covered it.

p3u
September 8th, 2009, 02:19
Could you post your fault codes?

Also did the torque converter do the trick?

Thanks!

AudiRS4ever
September 8th, 2009, 14:38
From your drag strip post: "As soon as I would be in posisition I would hold the brakes and floor it, this got me to about 2300rpm and help it there for about 2-3 seconds, then light changes and off I go."

Torque Braking + RS6 Tranny = New Transmission. The tranny is already prone to having issues, doing this only makes it go out faster. I try never to go WOT in first gear, much less torque brake the car. Still on the original tranny and no problems with it (knocking on wood).

Texas RS6
September 8th, 2009, 14:50
I don't have them. I'll see if it is on the service ticket.

Yes, I had done that a few times as well. It was fun the way it launched, but then the TQ clutch started to slip.

There was also another code regarding a purge valve not opening or being stuck.

p3u
September 8th, 2009, 15:55
From your drag strip post: "As soon as I would be in posisition I would hold the brakes and floor it, this got me to about 2300rpm and help it there for about 2-3 seconds, then light changes and off I go."

Torque Braking + RS6 Tranny = New Transmission. The tranny is already prone to having issues, doing this only makes it go out faster. I try never to go WOT in first gear, much less torque brake the car. Still on the original tranny and no problems with it (knocking on wood).

Its been doing it long before any time I've been to the strip, and it has not worsened since my visits.

Maybe I already asked but what do you drive again? Maybe I've seen you around town.

AudiRS4ever
September 8th, 2009, 16:43
Avus RS6. That's strange that it didn't get any worse after the torque braking. If it is a converter you would think that it would have gotten much worse, even though it was already doing it some.

Texas RS6
September 8th, 2009, 17:02
The first time I really noticed mine slip was street racing a new SRT8 Challenger.

The engine made all of the right sounds but I wasn't moving very well. Ended up loosing by 1/2 a car instead of winning by 3.:doh:

DHall1
September 8th, 2009, 18:07
As it has been noted in other threads and seems to be the faster et technique.

I roll into the throttle in 1st gear and then wot in 2nd.

I have never torque braked the RS6 nor will I ever see the need to....

I can flash the stall speed without a brake torque and get from A to B just as fast.

Now, in the old days with a big block Camaro and a trans break. Different story but the trans was out of that car 3 times a year. $$$$ to go fast.

p3u
September 8th, 2009, 18:56
Avus RS6. That's strange that it didn't get any worse after the torque braking. If it is a converter you would think that it would have gotten much worse, even though it was already doing it some.

I think I have seen you around town, on garden of the gods, and at Veda, is that you?

It's been a couple months though since I've last seen it.

AudiRS4ever
September 8th, 2009, 21:22
Could be. Probably would have been my wife at Veda though. Doesn't come out that often though. Just passed 22,000 miles this weekend though. :)

p3u
September 8th, 2009, 21:28
Could be. Probably would have been my wife at Veda though. Doesn't come out that often though. Just passed 22,000 miles this weekend though. :)

It must have been your wife, I've seen it on centennial and academy Veda many times lol.

I've seen you driving it once on Garden of the Gods. Do you know of the other RS6 in the same area, off of chestnut, black?

22,000 miles is awsome! Ha, I've put that many on mine in the last year :incar:

AudiRS4ever
September 8th, 2009, 22:18
It must have been your wife, I've seen it on centennial and academy Veda many times lol.

I've seen you driving it once on Garden of the Gods. Do you know of the other RS6 in the same area, off of chestnut, black?

22,000 miles is awsome! Ha, I've put that many on mine in the last year :incar:

Can't say I do know of the other one. Honestly, I have only seen one other RS6 in the city. And that was my friends Black one that he sold a couple of years ago. Oh well........
Let us know what happens with your tranny. I'm very curious to find out if it is a converter, or the whole tranny.

peiserg
September 10th, 2009, 00:19

never got wot in 1st? what's the point in paying all that money for all that power? seriously.

mmaturo
September 10th, 2009, 06:47
never got wot in 1st? what's the point in paying all that money for all that power? seriously.

Agree...I think i did WOT in first 4 times on the way home from work today. I do roll off now more rather than floor it from a stop as my warranty is out but still got to get into it. That's the fun i bought mine for daily...and yes the reason mine probably spends more time at service, although that has been more often from suspension issues that have nothing to do with going fast in a straight line.

AudiRS4ever
September 10th, 2009, 14:10
A couple of reasons:

1. I live at 6,000 + feet above sea level. I don't even get full boost until about 3,200 rpm. By the time I get boost in 1st gear it's so busy trying to get out of the gear it's almost pointless.

2. The car is chipped and has downpipes, exhaust, 5 bar FPR, and all of the other good stuff you put on them to make it go a little faster. The weakest link on any auto is the torque converter, and as I have stated before, the RS6 has problems without having any additional power.

Now, I didn't say I never go WOT. Far from it. The car is an absolute monster over 80 mph and I have had mine over an indicated 175 mph and the damn thing was still pulling like a freight train. I love going fast, but with what I have done to the car and knowing that I have no warranty I'd rather not tempt fate and have to buy a tranny. I'm already going to be purchasing KW's next spring if I keep the car. Thanks AOA for making my car look like an Allroad. :bigeyes:

DHall1
September 10th, 2009, 16:08
I would think you could still buy the Audi/Fidelity extended warranty. If you have a good rep at your local dealer things should be fine.

Its like you said, these transmissions already have issues and a repair should raise no red flags.

A couple of reasons:

1. I live at 6,000 + feet above sea level. I don't even get full boost until about 3,200 rpm. By the time I get boost in 1st gear it's so busy trying to get out of the gear it's almost pointless.

2. The car is chipped and has downpipes, exhaust, 5 bar FPR, and all of the other good stuff you put on them to make it go a little faster. The weakest link on any auto is the torque converter, and as I have stated before, the RS6 has problems without having any additional power.

Now, I didn't say I never go WOT. Far from it. The car is an absolute monster over 80 mph and I have had mine over an indicated 175 mph and the damn thing was still pulling like a freight train. I love going fast, but with what I have done to the car and knowing that I have no warranty I'd rather not tempt fate and have to buy a tranny. I'm already going to be purchasing KW's next spring if I keep the car. Thanks AOA for making my car look like an Allroad. :bigeyes:

AudiRS4ever
September 10th, 2009, 16:21
I would think you could still buy the Audi/Fidelity extended warranty. If you have a good rep at your local dealer things should be fine.

Its like you said, these transmissions already have issues and a repair should raise no red flags.

True about the warranty for the car. I think I can still qualify, because of the miles. However, the dealership in my city is awful on the sales side. I would rather ride my bike then deal with them. The service is the exact opposite. They are great. I've asked about the warranty a few times and they said I would have to talk to the Finance guy. I told them I'd rather eat a gun. Too bad really. The dealership in Denver I buy my cars from doesn't offer the Fidelity. They have their own and I have read enough to know that the only warranty worth the money is Fidelity. Not a big deal since I don't drive it much and still haven't committed to keeping the car more than another year. Thanks for the input though.

p3u
September 10th, 2009, 22:54
Not a big deal since I don't drive it much and still haven't committed to keeping the car more than another year. Thanks for the input though.

If you are selling the car an about a years time let me know, I would be interested in it. I've planned on getting a lower mileage RS and keep the one I have as the daily.

AudiRS4ever
September 10th, 2009, 23:26
If you are selling the car an about a years time let me know, I would be interested in it. I've planned on getting a lower mileage RS and keep the one I have as the daily.

Definitely will do that. :incar: