PDA

View Full Version : High Noon Approaches.........RS6 V E55

gmbh6
August 22nd, 2003, 19:47
so i'm outside of my office heading to the factory and what do i see parked out in front.........an E55. :trans:

as you can imagine i can't wait to see who it belongs too......long story short......a machinary supplier of mine comes out with a big grin. (the beast is @ home).....

...i let that smirk grow by asking him when he wants to race.....he tells me whenever.....at this point that smile of his has enveloped his entire face......at which point i tell him i have an RS6 @ the house :hihi: .....now i'm grinning and he's in shock.

"tried to get one but the dealer told me i was crazy"......"that they've been ordered a year out".......sweet music to my ears. heheh.

so we talk and i inform him that his car actually has more horsepower (he did not know) and that it should make for good times. i also embellish a little and let him know that the beast was tuned down for the US market and that the european RS6's are easily tuned well in excess of 600 ponies. :blush:

...and that we better race before i do all this. hahah.

so now i have to go on a crash diet and lose 10 lbs (2 hp), throw out my backseats (4 hp), and go by some 120 octane :p ......so i dont get smoked.

actually i'll make sure to pick a track with lots of turns.

worst case scenario.....i'll have bro-in-law at the track trying out his 959 he just brought over from germany........that clown had it there almost 15 years or however old that car is. :addict:

Klint
August 22nd, 2003, 20:29
Interesting!

Isn't the E55 heavier than the RS6, but the RS6 is 'lacking' 50ish bhp? It should be closeer than you think. Audi also have the better (as in faster) Automatic gearbox. ;)

Isn't the 959 Illegal in the states, due to some kind of emissions of something? :confused:

:cheers:

gmbh6
August 22nd, 2003, 20:41
i believe the RS6 is a wee bit heavier but only lacks 19 HP to the E55.

and on a short windy track i feel very confident that i can take him no problem because of the better handling and better gearbox.

and yes the 959 is illegal and why he had it in germany so long......i was so excited that he was bringing it that i forgot to ask if it was legal now or not.

he says that when he first bought it they took him out for a test run at the factory........they asked him what he thought. he tells me that he was scared out of his mind but decided to be cute with them and just say....."it's alright".

guess the head mechanic or somebody was not to happy and told him to give him another few weeks and see what he can do. apparently that engine has been factory tuned well over factory specs.....don't know the specifics.....but he says it just screams.....especially with the non-sequential firing turbos and some other stuff i can't remember right now.

cheers.
:cool2:

absent
August 22nd, 2003, 21:05
0-100 E55 smokes the RS6 by 2 seconds;see all the tests performed so far.
Over 100 mph it's even worse.

krm
August 22nd, 2003, 21:05
959s have recently (< 1 year) been certified in the states. Don't recall the exact details but just know owners are finally able to register their cars in the US.

nene
August 22nd, 2003, 22:28
Sounds like your up for some good fun.

As you know, in closed course tracks have shown the E55 to be faster, albeit not by much.
You and your friend doing runs won't show much other then who is the best/fastest at pressing the 'GO FAST' pedal. The one on the far right ;-) !

Should make for a good run nonetheless. Please be safe, and have a heck of a good time.

2manycars
August 22nd, 2003, 22:45
The E55 does seem to win every test. The 0-60 times vary so much it is difficult to say which is accurate. I guess it depends on the track, temeperature, wind, and driver. The Sept. C and D shows a 0-60 of 4.3 for the RS6 and 4.2 for the E55. AWD seems to slow it down, but in terms of the article, also tends to give it better slolam times, and off the mark times.

Please keep to racing to the track. I see too damn may fatal accidents from people (usually kids) trying to prove the age old saying-"My car's faster than your car, my car's faster than your car.

peterb
August 22nd, 2003, 23:05
Originally posted by nene
As you know, in closed course tracks have shown the E55 to be faster, albeit not by much.
You and your friend doing runs won't show much other then who is the best/fastest at pressing the 'GO FAST' pedal.
.... unless you happen to hold this competition on a day when the track is greasy!:devil:

gmbh6
August 22nd, 2003, 23:29
...great reponses everybody.

i especially like the reminder to keep the racing to the track.

i'll take the advice to be the first one to hit the pedal on the right.....and hit it hard.....if not i'm gonna have to be aggressive to scare his azz out of the way :flamed: ......i'll let you know as the day nears.

.....i already have a nice dv camera, but have to get one of those in car mounts. :roll:

Erik
August 23rd, 2003, 09:48
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - but you will get smoked by the E55 AMG.

The misano red RS6 Avant with 500 hp will not overtake the E55 AMG either, but it's closer.

The only good news is that the tuners seem to have a very though time to tune the E55 to do more. A friend of mine has an E55 AMG and he's pretty serious about tuning so he tried his stock E55 vs. Brabus and the Brabsu lost. Very embarrasing for the salesguy. Also when I visited Kleemann (MB tuner) they said they had to develop their own ECU from scratch to make it happen. But I don't think they've done it yet.

btumble
August 23rd, 2003, 14:43
actually i'll make sure to pick a track with lots of turns.

Or you could always race after it rains, or in the snow, :hihi: .

whatever you do, be safe and have fun.

btumble

gmbh6
August 24th, 2003, 03:22
Originally posted by btumble

Well that could happen at Willow Springs California where dessert thunderstorms pop up all of the time.

and as for you Erik......in theory maybe......but i have a very heavy right foot and it tends to stay heavy. I think in cars like the E55, RS6, & M5 driver ability plays a large role....(when you're track-racing as opposed to just drag-racing)

thanks again all. :addict:

gmbh6
August 24th, 2003, 03:22
Originally posted by btumble

Well that could happen at Willow Springs California where dessert thunderstorms pop up all of the time.

and as for you Erik......in theory maybe......but i have a very heavy right foot and it tends to stay heavy. I think in cars like the E55, RS6, & M5 driver ability plays a large role....(when you're track-racing as opposed to just drag-racing)

thanks again all. :addict: