PDA

View Full Version : Holy Smokin' Brake pads, Batman

RS6-4dr911
September 1st, 2009, 03:37
Just went for a spirited nighttime run, 4-5 runs of zero to triple digits, with hard (ABS wanting to make its presence known) stops for stop signs. By the last run, brakes had faded so bad, roughly half the stopping power. Almost brand new EBC Redstuffs, with several bedding in steps. Never would have guessed they'd fade that fast and that severely. When I pulled in to park, the rotors (or maybe the pads?) were making very loud popping noises as they cooled and smoke was wafting out of both front wheel wells. Took it back out and idled around the neighborhood to let them cool.

Very surprised and how bad they faded. Can't imagine taking this baby to the track even with the preferred yellow stuffs.

Is this typical for those with the redstuff pads or is something amiss?

Not that this is my typical driving style but my first thought was of most Porsches being able to be thrashed at the track and driven home. Maybe it's time for a Cayman S?

SAF
September 1st, 2009, 04:19
I'm running the same pads and haven't experienced that kind of fade, but I also have not done what you did as a test. And I rarely brake on the track. ;)

SAFE4NOW
September 1st, 2009, 04:19
After a VERY hard 20m session at Motorsports Ranch , when I pull off even after a full lap to cool down, my brakes would do the same thing, minus the brake fade ( Thanks to Motul 660 )... one guy joke that they were about to come apart...

S

hahnmgh63
September 1st, 2009, 04:24
I would definitely bleed your brake fluid, how long since fresh fluid (makes the world of difference). Yes, Yellows are much better w/heat than Reds and only cost a little more. The factory rotors pop loudly when cooling from a hot run, something to do with the stainless pins from the aluminum hats going into the cast iron rotors. As far as the Cayman S goes, a Top Gear episode recently had a RS4 lap their track a touche faster than the Cayman S?

mmaturo
September 1st, 2009, 04:26
the fading isn't the pads its your fluid...do you have the OEM stuff or high temp Motul or similar? If you do not have high temp fluid go get it switched out and you will have a drastic change in fade (not the sound effects though).

Mine used to fade rather rapidly on the track 18 to 20 min regardless of the pad, and it was definitely my fluid boiling. You certainly worked up some good heat if you got the popping tinging noise...that's normal when abusing them (happens every run i do on the track and around town if i play hard)....i do really extended slow laps not touching the brakes around the paddock at the track. I have not noticed fade from the pads although it was yellows i used on the track but my reds do not feel much different.

mmaturo
September 1st, 2009, 04:28
"Not that this is my typical driving style but my first thought was of most Porsches being able to be thrashed at the track and driven home. Maybe it's time for a Cayman S?"

PS, i've punished mine and had no issues driving home...although did need new pads in a week or two.

DuckWingDuck
September 1st, 2009, 04:41
I would definitely bleed your brake fluid, how long since fresh fluid (makes the world of difference). Yes, Yellows are much better w/heat than Reds and only cost a little more. The factory rotors pop loudly when cooling from a hot run, something to do with the stainless pins from the aluminum hats going into the cast iron rotors. As far as the Cayman S goes, a Top Gear episode recently had a RS4 lap their track a touche faster than the Cayman S?

Power lap times:
Car used Time (mins)
Porsche Cayman 1.26.2

And they've never put any of the RSes on their track. Only the R8, S4, and the two variants of the TT.

hahnmgh63
September 1st, 2009, 05:39
The RS4 was on last week on Top Gear and just repeated tonight. He droven the mountain road racing the rock climbers up the wall, a beautiful red one, series 7 episode 2. Jeremy Clarkson said hands down it beats the M3 (non V8 version).

DHall1
September 1st, 2009, 05:49
Where do you guys get Top Gear?

Link or TV?

DuckWingDuck
September 1st, 2009, 05:52
dave - top gear is on bbc america, but it's always a few series behind. Or you can pretty much watch them all on youtube. I think there's an official top gear channel, but I don't believe those are complete eps though... http://www.youtube.com/user/TopGear

http://www.bbcamerica.com/shows/topgear/about.jsp

Hmm, looks like you can also buy them eps on iTunes.

DHall1
September 1st, 2009, 05:56
BBC America. Is it carried by any cable or dish tv folks?

We have direct tv because our rv has a dish on the roof and we can include it with our home setup. I should check Direct TV.

I remember a link that had the whole Top Gear show on links. Hmmm

dave - top gear is on bbc america, but it's always a few series behind. Or you can pretty much watch them all on youtube. I think there's an official top gear channel, but I don't believe those are complete eps though... http://www.youtube.com/user/TopGear

http://www.bbcamerica.com/shows/topgear/about.jsp

Hmm, looks like you can also buy them eps on iTunes.

hahnmgh63
September 1st, 2009, 05:59
You can also download them on I-tunes or Apple Tv if you have one. Great show, very funny but also nice to see some of the cars comparable times around the same track.

DHall1
September 1st, 2009, 06:23
Well it seems the thread jacker police are out tonight. Member with 2 posts does not like me jacking threads.

:rolleyes:

So here....LOL. The whole show.

http://www.carmecrazy.com/video/208/Fifth-Gear-S16E01

And here...but I cant get the Top Gear shows to play. Arrrrrgh

http://www.finalgear.com/

DuckWingDuck
September 1st, 2009, 06:29
Fifth Gear is shit. Top Gear or nothing!! And ya, BBC America is available on DirecTV, should be part of the standard package.

But anyway, as I mentioned, Top Gear on BBC America is a few series behind, so ya, go online for the more up to date, like Final Gear

DHall1
September 1st, 2009, 06:32
Dont tell me I had it all along. NOOOOOO I have to go look. Damn.

Here is the TopGear full length vid that takes the RS6 up against the E55. Best show ever.

http://www.carmecrazy.com/video/41/Top-Gear-S01E08

Fifth Gear is shit. Top Gear or nothing!! And ya, BBC America is available on DirecTV, should be part of the standard package.

But anyway, as I mentioned, Top Gear on BBC America is a few series behind, so ya, go online for the more up to date, like Final Gear

DHall1
September 1st, 2009, 06:40
Got it!

S07E2 in full length.

http://www.carmecrazy.com/video/119/Top-Gear-S07E02

Yellow RS6
September 1st, 2009, 15:19
Dont tell me I had it all along. NOOOOOO I have to go look. Damn.

Yep, if you have DirectTV, you've got it - Ch 264. Stinks that you didn't know, but better late than never :thumb:

xpl0sive
September 1st, 2009, 16:21
are you guys telling me you don't know about finalgear? they have a link to every top gear eepisode starting from episode 1 avaliable for download... check it out, thats where i get my top gear from... www.finalgear.com

Texas RS6
September 1st, 2009, 17:45
I'm running the same pads and haven't experienced that kind of fade, but I also have not done what you did as a test. And I rarely brake on the track. ;)

TWS isn't exactly tough on brakes. :burnout::hahahehe:

This was meant to be good fun as we are both in Texas and know TWS to be easy on brakes. Not trying to be a dick.

RS6-4dr911
September 1st, 2009, 21:28
TWS isn't exactly tough on brakes. :burnout::hahahehe:

This was meant to be good fun as we are both in Texas and know TWS to be easy on brakes. Not trying to be a dick.

But you were and you know it - thanks for going first. I was going to tell Scott that if he rarely uses his brakes then he really doesn't know how to drive fast. (still in good fun of course)

Reminds me of a story I heard from another instructor once: Guy in a Porsche Turbo was braggin' about how fast he was and that he didn't even brake for turn X. Instructor goes out with him, the guy lifts a hundred yards out, but never touches the brakes. Next lap, turn X looms, instructor reaches his left foot over and mashes the throttle when the guy lifts, holds it until the braking markers, and says "now use the brakes".

DuckWingDuck
September 1st, 2009, 21:57
me personally, i just go real fast and let a wall stop me.

Hehe.

Texas RS6
September 1st, 2009, 22:03
You don't know where the edge is until you cross over it. :incar:

DuckWingDuck
September 1st, 2009, 22:15
You don't know where the edge is until you cross over it. :incar:

Just be sure there's plenty of run-off ;-)
:incar::stick::stick:

SAFE4NOW
September 1st, 2009, 22:33
Kinda like that T-Shirt read " Keep your foot in it until you see God, Then brake " --- or some version of that....

Steve

Spidercat
September 3rd, 2009, 00:31
Not to backtrack, but I saw that Top Gear episode w/the red RS4 last week, and I was also curious about the final line comparing it to the old M3. At the end of the credits, I think the show was from 2005 (MMV), which would explain it. If this is true, anybody know why we get old Top Gears being shown as new programs over here?
I thought the RS4 went around their track in 125-something, and the Cayman S was 126-something (a little over a second slower).

Also, any of you guys put SS brake lines on your cars? Notice any difference? I'm due for new pads/rotors soon, and was just wondering.