RXBG
September 1st, 2009, 00:40
http://jalopnik.com/5349638/report-porsche-panamera-cayenne-could-be-axed-by-vw

Erik
September 1st, 2009, 06:26
That would surprise me.

tailpipe
September 2nd, 2009, 08:08
According to Car Magazine, the VW main board of directors has decided to refocus the newly acquired Porsche on thoroughbred sportscars. This being the case, the Cayenne will not be replaced following the next model update in 2010. Moreover, the Panamera will also be discontinued as it is seen as being too much of a compromise.

I don't know whether this report is true, but it is certainly very interesting. Porsche makes good money from the Cayenne - or at least it did until the global meltdown. SUV sales everywhere have fallen off a cliff. But axing the Panamera before it has even debuted seems very brave if not crazy.

Actually, if true, I applaud this decision. Every brand needs focus. Porsche is a sportscar brand not a general premium brand. It is the German Ferrari and I don't see the Italian's producing a four door saloon sportscar anytime soon. This rumour doesn't mean a more limited line-up for Stuttgart. Talk of a new entry level model gathers pace. This means there'll be a low-end 914 replacement, a mid-level Boxter/ Cayman, the venerable 911 and probably a new all-singing and dancing supercar above the 911. Not too shabby a line-up, if you ask me.

Where GM went wrong was to have a line-up that provided cars for every niche for every brand: it destroyed any sense of differentiation between them. If VW refocuses its brands around what they each do best, it will have a very strong line-up indeed.

Following such logic, we should not expect the R8 to be replaced. On the other hand we should expect ballistically fast saloons/ sedans and estates/ wagons from Audi. In other words, the Panamera concept works best as an Audi not a Porsche.

The Audi 4x4 quattro credentials also make it better as an SUV brand rather than the Cayenne. Shame that the Q7 is such a dog.

Of course, this entire story may merely be no more than mindless speculation to idle away the empty news period between the end of summer and the Frankfurt auto show.

AndyBG
September 2nd, 2009, 15:13
I'm getting little bit confused...

Porsche was growing into best premium brand in the world!

Now, they want to get it back into sport car segment, but another problem is coming up, its threatening Lambo' and Bugatti...

So, what's next...? Shutting down Porsche, one of the best automakers ever, in order to keep on track Lambo' and Bugatti...

The RS6
September 2nd, 2009, 15:22
Nah, they can differentiate those with much higher prices for Lambo + Porsche needs to have that "everyday" next to the sports/supercar, which Lambo doesn't...