PDA

View Full Version : KW's installation complete today

hahnmgh63
August 31st, 2009, 02:02
Just some thoughts. I initially have the ride height set at 12 3/4" front and 13" rear measured from the center of the hub. I took the car for a 15 mile run but no real hard cornering to load up the suspension too much other than some highway S-turns but there isn't any rubbing. I need to let the suspension settle and then re-adjust to decide where I want the ride height then I'll take it in for a fine tuning of the ride height/corner balance and alignment. I notice a bit more camber in the lowered stance but it seems to handle well and feels more like when my car was much newer, maybe a touch stiffer but not harsh (decent roads around my area where I drove it). Very little nose dive upon braking. I stuck with the factory KW RS6 settings although Grizz recommends +2 on damping I think. I'll take pics soon so everyone can give me feedback on the ride height.

DuckWingDuck
August 31st, 2009, 02:53
Looks good and ya, be careful on your left front. Mine had rubbing when it settled.

hahnmgh63
August 31st, 2009, 03:27
Re-adjusted up slightly just in case I carry a couple of passengers to 13" front and 13 14" rear. That adjustment was made with 205lbs of weight in the drivers seat and footwell. I forgot to mention that I replaced the front upper control arm and the rear upper in both cases was toast. I will replace both lowers in the next month or so. I wanted to do it now but 034 motorsports sell a monoball kit for the lowers that I may purchase (The 4 monoballs cost as much as a complete control arm kit). It drives nice though. Wednesday's is an Audi get together at a German pub in Seattle that I'll try to make and there will probably be at least one other RS6 with the recall fix there to compare the stance.

DuckWingDuck
August 31st, 2009, 03:34
the best upper control arms are those adjustable ones but cpp, the company that originally made them went out of business.

hahnmgh63
August 31st, 2009, 03:37
www.purems.com (http://www.purems.com) sells a set of Stearns adjustable control arms that fit our car. I have a digital camber gauge that I'll get out in the next couple of days to check the front & rear before I take it to the alignment shop. A set of adjustable uppers and monoball lowers and I might even have to leave the Porsche behind and take this to the track.

DHall1
August 31st, 2009, 04:20
http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18199&highlight=kw+settings

Pat, you have nice pics in that thread. What is your height from center hub to fender? Then we compare apples to apples.

DuckWingDuck
August 31st, 2009, 04:44
ya, i've heard about stearns, @$600, that's highway robbery prices.

V8weight
August 31st, 2009, 04:45
http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18199&highlight=kw+settings

Pat, you have nice pics in that thread. What is your height from center hub to fender? Then we compare apples to apples.
Funny, I just saw this thread and was out in the garage measuring my gaps with a tram gauge. I have 327mm from center to fender on the front(12.874") and 330mm in the rear (12.992"). And at these low heights, the stern adjustable control arms are not necessary, as I am at -1.45 degrees camber in the front and -1.0 in the rear. Spec. is -0.55 to -1.45 degrees front and -0.3 to -1.30 rear.

hahnmgh63
August 31st, 2009, 05:19
I must have been out of town when that post from V8weight went up. Real nice write up, I am slightly above his height but also slightly softer on the settings. I'm driving to work tomorrow and the morning commute down tends to be fairly mild but by the time I'm heading home it's a free for all so it will get a little agressive w/some high speed 100mph+ (On a closed circuit w/professional driver NOT).

DHall1
August 31st, 2009, 07:14
:w:Ok,

I have to admit. Even with my DRC working 100% and the ride height spot on. I can see Pat's setup and stance and just start pounding the desk. I need to go see if MTM still sells those spring perches to drop the car 1 inch.

It looks so nice. :bow:

I wish you guys were closer and could make the Julian Run. We would have a ball.

MaxRS6
August 31st, 2009, 12:49
Congrats on the self install and ridding yourself of the DRC oil demon! I wish I had the skills, abilities, and shop to do that type of work on the beast. I know I enjoy the ride much better with the KW's and not having to worry about the next DRC clunk/spill.

Enjoy!

hahnmgh63
August 31st, 2009, 16:13
And as a bonus, the KW's as a package are about 17~18lbs less than the DRC in weight.

Brav
August 31st, 2009, 19:07
:w:Ok,

I have to admit. Even with my DRC working 100% and the ride height spot on. I can see Pat's setup and stance and just start pounding the desk. I need to go see if MTM still sells those spring perches to drop the car 1 inch.

It looks so nice. :bow:

I wish you guys were closer and could make the Julian Run. We would have a ball.

Let us know about the perches! I am about to take my car in for the new DRC and really I would prefer coilovers at this point, but a 1" drop from stock would be perfect.

hahnmgh63
August 31st, 2009, 19:31
I thought someone here on the list who had them mentioned the MTM drop perches were 15mm drop so slightly over 1/2" drop.

DALLAS_RS6
September 1st, 2009, 05:17
This is how the car sat with the MTM spring perches and before the DRC fix.:vgrumpy:

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/maria9356/RS6.jpg

DHall1
September 1st, 2009, 05:53
I feel your pain. :bow:

Someone find out where the heck we can get our hands on the MTM perches.

Perches, perches, someone find us the damn perches.:mech:

This is how the car sat with the MTM spring perches and before the DRC fix.:vgrumpy:

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/maria9356/RS6.jpg

AudiRS4ever
September 1st, 2009, 14:29
I feel your pain. :bow:

Someone find out where the heck we can get our hands on the MTM perches.

Perches, perches, someone find us the damn perches.:mech:

Has anyone called Hoppn yet? If not, I'll call today.