PDA

View Full Version : RS4 drc has begun to explode

MrBucket
August 31st, 2009, 01:10
RS4EVA over on quattroworld had one of his central valves explode while driving. He had been complaining about the ride height being too high after a revised drc fix.

http://www.tomloder.com/DRC/IMG_1595.JPG

http://www.tomloder.com/DRC/IMG_1600.JPG

http://www.tomloder.com/DRC/IMG_1603.JPG

http://www.tomloder.com/DRC/IMG_1605.JPG

DuckWingDuck
August 31st, 2009, 01:44
ya, someone else posted about this but I thought it was an RS6 that had its DRC replaced?? Internet hoax???

MrBucket
August 31st, 2009, 02:35
ya, someone else posted about this but I thought it was an RS6 that had its DRC replaced?? Internet hoax???
A RS6 that needed its DRC replaced? Surely you jest.

DuckWingDuck
August 31st, 2009, 02:52
hehe. that's a good one ;)

MrBucket
August 31st, 2009, 03:14
But seriously, has anyone ever had their RS6 drc explode or just leak all over your garage floor?

DuckWingDuck
August 31st, 2009, 03:21
seems like leaking is all that's happened thus far.

lefizzet
August 31st, 2009, 03:27
Is the drc in the rs4 a revised system? I'm assuming it is

DuckWingDuck
August 31st, 2009, 03:33
ya, it's gen 2 drc but it also has problems.

hahnmgh63
August 31st, 2009, 03:42
Just FYI, upon removal of my complete DRC system and lines I found that shocks/struts are made for Audi by KYB in Spain and the central valves, although they have a KYB label on them are shown to be manufactured by Yamaha in the casting for the pressure cylinder. I don't know if the newer RS4 DRC has the same manufacturers or not.

Rupert
August 31st, 2009, 10:48
Exploding shocks on this side of the pond too:
http://rs246.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=79348

http://rs246.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=310310&highlight=exploded#310310

Exploding suspension hoses:
http://rs246.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=76680

DHall1
August 31st, 2009, 17:18
Another fine example of techs not knowing WTF to do with these cars. Please everyone. If your dealer does not have experience or have the RS techs to properly service your RS...then run the other way asap.

This stuff is not rocket science but will take a tech that has a head on his/her shoulders.

Audi need more control over quality of techs in member dealers. These idiots are killing the brand name.

AUDI ARE YOU READING THIS? HELLO? RAISE THE STANDARDS OF TECHS IN YOUR DEALERS PLEASE.

Exploding shocks on this side of the pond too:
http://rs246.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=79348

http://rs246.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=310310&highlight=exploded#310310

Exploding suspension hoses:
http://rs246.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=76680

Aronis
August 31st, 2009, 18:03
LOL Audi listen to customer??? You're kidding, right??

DHall1
August 31st, 2009, 18:10
Mike,

We have seen a change in operation here in the US. I think Audi have made the decision to improve matters such as this.

We also have Qisha that gets to whisper in the ear of some folks back in Germany. Quattro Gmbh to be exact. The folks in Germany need to know that service levels are lacking out in the field and higher standards need to be gained.

One can only hope because what's what other options do we have? Chevy Impala SS?

:incar:

DuckWingDuck
August 31st, 2009, 19:00
the quality of dealerships (and by extension its techs) is something that Richard and I have talked about for a long time. The sad fact of it is, in the old days, AoA handed out franchises like they were going out of style and it resulted in a higher than expected number of sub-par dealerships. It's something that AoA has been working on in the past few years but, well, the problem with inertia means that for the vast majority of us, we're still dealing with shite dealers and techs who aren't necessarily up to par.

SAF
August 31st, 2009, 20:07
From one of those threads above...a letter from earlier this year to a UK owner who had his DRC totally replaced multiple times.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k221/marmite_22/scan0001.jpg

Remember that frustration? I got similar responses from AoA for years. But just as legal action was on the horizon, Audi coincidently stepped up with a DRC "service action" to give us new struts that supposedly won't leak. Many let a sigh and were relieved that they finally acknowledged this problem after years of playing dumb and were preparing to take care of us...the folks who had purchased what was, just a few short years ago, their flagship car.

Well so much for the frustration being over. Maybe I was cynical, dubious, suspicious, whatever, but months ago my very first questions to the Audi RS advocates about this "action" job, both in writing and on the phone, were:
A) How long is the warranty? and
B) after replacing my central valves four times, why aren't you including them one last time when you install these new shocks?

The valves weren't failing but they came factory loaded and were a required replacement when the system was broken into. Why "fix" that replacement procedure if it ain't broke? Why create a weak link in the chain by breaking into the pressurized system and then expecting a tech to try to do what was previously only done by the valve manufacturer??

First answer was that the new P&L would be covered for 12y/12k, a typical service warranty. To me, after all the inconvenience we have had to go through and months I've been without my car, AoA wiping their collective hands of us a short 12 months after this "action" is just plain insulting. Especially since the original set up was covered for 3/36 and began failing within that same period! Hell, my subsequent repairs only lasted anywhere from 1 day to 11 months! A 12 month warranty on a new and unproven replacement is totally unacceptable. Surprise!! Now we see that the labor part of this equation is leading to all kinds of incorrectly completed installs and the cars are having to be brought back in to (hopefully) be done correctly the second time around! Who knows how long an improperly installed and recharged system will take to break down? I'm betting some could take over a year. Then it's our problem. Again. Sound familiar?

Which gets me back to my central valve question. Adding insult to injury is the fact that AoA is just tossing these struts out to dealerships that may never have even seen an RS6, let alone be familiar with the DRC system's history or mechanics. And on top of that, they don't include two easily swapped out central valves so that we can basically start over with all new parts...instead they try to save a few more dollars by sending along a new "tool", a chemistry set of tubes, valves, guages and fittings for the techs to learn on while they attempt to make a previously factory sealed component reusable. This is the extent of stepping up to make our investments whole again? FAIL.

I have always had faith in my RS tech and I'm sure he made sure he got it right. My retrofit is holding its own and riding like it should after a couple of months, but after reading all these stories about leaks, height adjustments, unconnected parts etc, I am afraid many will be seeing letter similar to the above, only this time they will be talking about the new system.

Truth in Engineering? I say no.

Lead Never Follow? Lead me on maybe, and I am very close to no longer following.

AoA needs to nip this disaster in the bud before this cluster*@&! reaches a new critical mass.

DHall1
August 31st, 2009, 21:10
That letter sounds just like the radical liberals ignoring the facts and still pushing Cap n Trade and Health Care Reform.

Nothing but crapper spending funding corrupt program after corrupt program. The US government can provide health care cheaper than private industry? Medicare and aid is already bankrupt. We need more and bigger?

:doh:

Brilliant!

We need to send this letter to the Eric guy at Gmbh. I know this is Audi UK but please give me a break people. Idiots and idiots...dumb and dumber

From one of those threads above...a letter from earlier this year to a UK owner who had his DRC totally replaced multiple times.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k221/marmite_22/scan0001.jpg

Remember that frustration? I got similar responses from AoA for years. But just as legal action was on the horizon, Audi coincidently stepped up with a DRC "service action" to give us new struts that supposedly won't leak. Many let a sigh and were relieved that they finally acknowledged this problem after years of playing dumb and were preparing to take care of us...the folks who had purchased what was, just a few short years ago, their flagship car.

Well so much for the frustration being over. Maybe I was cynical, dubious, suspicious, whatever, but months ago my very first questions to the Audi RS advocates about this "action" job, both in writing and on the phone, were:
A) How long is the warranty? and
B) after replacing my central valves four times, why aren't you including them one last time when you install these new shocks?

The valves weren't failing but they came factory loaded and were a required replacement when the system was broken into. Why "fix" that replacement procedure if it ain't broke? Why create a weak link in the chain by breaking into the pressurized system and then expecting a tech to try to do what was previously only done by the valve manufacturer??

First answer was that the new P&L would be covered for 12y/12k, a typical service warranty. To me, after all the inconvenience we have had to go through and months I've been without my car, AoA wiping their collective hands of us a short 12 months after this "action" is just plain insulting. Especially since the original set up was covered for 3/36 and began failing within that same period! Hell, my subsequent repairs only lasted anywhere from 1 day to 11 months! A 12 month warranty on a new and unproven replacement is totally unacceptable. Surprise!! Now we see that the labor part of this equation is leading to all kinds of incorrectly completed installs and the cars are having to be brought back in to (hopefully) be done correctly the second time around! Who knows how long an improperly installed and recharged system will take to break down? I'm betting some could take over a year. Then it's our problem. Again. Sound familiar?

Which gets me back to my central valve question. Adding insult to injury is the fact that AoA is just tossing these struts out to dealerships that may never have even seen an RS6, let alone be familiar with the DRC system's history or mechanics. And on top of that, they don't include two easily swapped out central valves so that we can basically start over with all new parts...instead they try to save a few more dollars by sending along a new "tool", a chemistry set of tubes, valves, guages and fittings for the techs to learn on while they attempt to make a previously factory sealed component reusable. This is the extent of stepping up to make our investments whole again? FAIL.

I have always had faith in my RS tech and I'm sure he made sure he got it right. My retrofit is holding its own and riding like it should after a couple of months, but after reading all these stories about leaks, height adjustments, unconnected parts etc, I am afraid many will be seeing letter similar to the above, only this time they will be talking about the new system.

Truth in Engineering? I say no.

Lead Never Follow? Lead me on maybe, and I am very close to no longer following.

AoA needs to nip this disaster in the bud before this cluster*@&! reaches a new critical mass.

Spidercat
September 1st, 2009, 06:45
The US government can provide health care cheaper than private industry?

Absolutely not! But, you ALWAYS get what you pay for!
Not for anything, but can we please stay on cars for once?

I totally agree with SAF on this one. I get the feeling they are trying to delay for another year. I would have so much more respect for them as a company if they would just agree that they made a mistake w/KYB and offer to let us put on an aftermarke. Suspension at their cost, going forward (I swore I would never use that phrase, since that is the douchebag phrase du jour, but they used it on me, so it's appropriate). They should pony up the cash for an aftermarket system, period.