PDA

View Full Version : 2009 SCCA Julian Run

DuckWingDuck
August 27th, 2009, 06:27
Alright folks, as some might have seen me hijack another thread, the 2009 Julian run is fast approaching. For the Malibu run earlier this year we were able to muster close to ten RS6s, we came damned close, would be great if we could do at least 10 this year and maybe get Audi to give us some t-shirts or something. Heh.

Anyway, the SCCA page is here: http://www.sccaudi.com/articles.asp?id=216

The actual Julian run itself is on the 13th of September but many will be heading down on the 12th so it might be possible to get in some additional runs on the 12th. Will post periodic updates as we get closer!

:addict:

DHall1
August 27th, 2009, 06:41
Thanks Greg!

As always for you SoCal guys and gals. Anyone have an idea where the RV parks are in the area? I need a RV park that will take a 65ft rig and trailer combo. I will start searching on my end.

Hope I can make it. Vacation is still up in the air.

DuckWingDuck
August 27th, 2009, 16:56
On my way home I did see one somewhere in Temecula, Ben's in the area so I'm sure he'd have a better idea.

ben916
August 27th, 2009, 17:16
ben916 or benman?

I will start looking around here and I am thinking that there will be some RV parks either closer to the I-8 or up north (meaning Escondido or Temecula or Perris area).

DHall1
August 27th, 2009, 17:37
Thanks guys,

I will be coming across on I-8 from AZ.

Like to stick to 8 and not too far into the coast. Keep it as far east on 8 as poss.

ben916 or benman?

I will start looking around here and I am thinking that there will be some RV parks either closer to the I-8 or up north (meaning Escondido or Temecula or Perris area).

ben916
August 27th, 2009, 19:17
Dhall1,

PM attempted but you are out of inbox space...

Search #1.....
http://www.missionbayrvresort.com/reservations.aspx
can handle 80' in spaces 241 and 242

sam's club discount 10%
police/military/firefighter discount 15%

241 and 242 are currently available...

hopefully more to follow

DHall1
August 27th, 2009, 20:35
Thanks guys,

Let me clear some space for pm

I was thinking more to Alpine or Lakeside. I dont want to drag the whole rig into SD and fight traffic. Need to keep as close to the drive route as poss.

That said, when we go into SD for a future weekend that spot on the bay looks very nice indeed.

ben916
August 27th, 2009, 22:26
ok still checking...

Benman
August 27th, 2009, 22:41
Ben916 is way closer to the 8 than I am. :)

Ben:addict:

PS, I am torn between attending Julian with the Beast or my bike. Someone will have a video camera for sure and we can put it to rest on film: which is faster, a "little 600cc, or the :rs6kiss:

DuckWingDuck
August 27th, 2009, 22:55
ben - have the wife drive the bike and you drive the car with the kids. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

Hahaha, btw, got a question, will email.

Benman
August 28th, 2009, 00:56
ben - have the wife drive the bike and you drive the car with the kids. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

Hahaha...

Bwahahaha!!! But I could have her show up in the :addict: ;)

ben916
August 28th, 2009, 22:16
more specific location to Dhall1's needs:

http://www.rancholoscochesrv.com/features.html but only 40'???? Might have to disconnect the trailer and park it

ben916
August 28th, 2009, 22:19
http://www.oakcreekrv.com/rate.aspx

another but up to 42'..

Dhall1, did you clear your inbox yet????

ben916
August 28th, 2009, 22:20
and success is found!

70ft pullthrough....

http://www.vacationerrv.com/sitedesc.aspx

DHall1
August 29th, 2009, 03:09
Wow thanks,

Got the green light this week. I will check those sites.

Were going to Mammoth and Yosemite the following week. Two great trips back to back.

Finally some fun! :incar:

Guys....where is the meeting point on Sunday. I have several RV park choices....even one in Julian. Also, any activities you can recommend for Sat would be nice. Something the wife and I could do on Sat would be cool.

Thanks

Benman
August 30th, 2009, 18:39
Also, any activities you can recommend for Sat would be nice. Something the wife and I could do on Sat would be cool.

Thanks

Well, if you like, for those coming down Saturday, how about a group dinner in Temecula? Since that is the starting point for Sunday morning, my thought is that most of those coming down Saturday, they will be staying close by so a small dinner meet up the night before would be cool.

Thoughts?

DuckWingDuck
August 30th, 2009, 18:52
California Bagels
27648 Ynez Rd
Temecula, CA 92591-4623

That's the starting point. Ben, just dropped you the email that I meant to send yesterday :D

AUDI5000CSTQ
August 31st, 2009, 06:46
Greg, What time? I will be coming up from Oceanside.
What route will you be taking? I just might meet you along the way, about 78?

DuckWingDuck
August 31st, 2009, 06:57
John, great to hear from you man, I was going to email you to come check out the site. I think details are still forthcoming but basically there are stuff that's happening on the 12th around Temecula and then on the morning of the 13th we're meeting at Calfornia Bagels (address in a post above). However, the route to Julian is basically this...

California Bagels to 15S, Temecula Parkway towards Pechanga, Rainbow to Lilac to Valley Center to Harrah Rincon, then up South Grade and down East Grade back to the 76, then onto Mesa Grande before we come back to the 78/79 to head into Julian.

For you, from Oceanside, it's 78E to 15N and then Rancho California exit to get to California Bagels.

s42ski
September 1st, 2009, 03:47
Greg - will try and make it - the car is getting the DRC upgrade so if all goes well...... then I should be on the run with new shocks!

DuckWingDuck
September 1st, 2009, 04:42
steve - awesome! Keeping fingers crossed about you getting it done before the run out.

Benman
September 1st, 2009, 18:14
Greg - will try and make it - the car is getting the DRC upgrade so if all goes well...... then I should be on the run with new shocks!

Like Greg, I'll also keep the fingers crossed it goes well. :D

DuckWingDuck
September 1st, 2009, 22:06
Alright gang, looks like the site has finally been updated...

Event details here: http://www.sccaudi.com/articles.asp?id=216

DHall1
September 6th, 2009, 18:25
Update on Julian

Who is signed up and which group do you plan to run?

Greg, I see your in 3 this time. ?? Do you have passengers?

DHall1
September 6th, 2009, 18:37
Ben,

Cant make it up there for dinner. Were planning to spend the day in San Diego. We are staying at a Sunland RV resort in El Cajon with a 70ft pull thru for the rig.

Driving up Sun am to meet in Temecula.

Well, if you like, for those coming down Saturday, how about a group dinner in Temecula? Since that is the starting point for Sunday morning, my thought is that most of those coming down Saturday, they will be staying close by so a small dinner meet up the night before would be cool.

Thoughts?

Benman
September 6th, 2009, 19:26
Ben,

Cant make it up there for dinner.

Driving up Sun am to meet in Temecula.

No worries, see you Sunday!

Me, I think I'll end up in the slow poke group. My 9 year old daughter really wants to come along and last time she threw up when in the "medium" paced group. ... puke:

DuckWingDuck
September 6th, 2009, 21:43
dave, ya, ben (ben916) is riding with me and more than likely I will be leading group 3.

DHall1
September 6th, 2009, 22:42
Then 3 it is.

I will follow ya

DuckWingDuck
September 7th, 2009, 00:31
:-) All good.

ben916
September 8th, 2009, 20:40
Dave,
did any of those links help?

Greg,
Do I need to bring proof of life insurance and sign a waiver as a passenger? :)

DuckWingDuck
September 8th, 2009, 21:53
haha, if you ride with dave you might!! Just kidding.

Dave, we'll be doing it casual like so you should bring the Mrs. out this time!

DHall1
September 8th, 2009, 23:25
Ben,

I am all set at the El Cajon RV park. 70ft pull thru and I dont have to unhook anything. Sunland RV park. Thanks!

Greg-you dont understand. Anything over 1/2 throttle and curves and I get the :nono: and the :w: and finally the :doh: up the side of the head.

LOL

Haha, we will see. Its the corners and the drop offs that drive her nutty. We used to take the Independence Pass route thru Aspen Co every fall about this time. For those that know the route...there is section south of Aspen that is literally 1 lane wide for 2 lanes of traffic. 11,000ft high. All of it hangs over a sheer drop off. 4 years of that with my line of Supra's and my wife lost about 20 years and I lost about 10 from smacks on the head.

LOL

haha, if you ride with dave you might!! Just kidding.

Dave, we'll be doing it casual like so you should bring the Mrs. out this time!

DuckWingDuck
September 9th, 2009, 01:16
rofl. The perils of marriage, the julian drive isn't that bad but I hear ya.

DHall1
September 9th, 2009, 03:43
Back when we used to get WRC on Speed channel. That Independence Pass route is like the WRC roads in Catalunya Spain. I could pic my spot and let it rip for just a couple of minutes before the smack down happened. Then it would be a Aspen watching ride the rest of the day. :hahahehe:

It was worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxpVZaTF0iA

s42ski
September 11th, 2009, 23:53
Greg and DHall1 - looks like I am a no show for Julian with my funky suspension - just not feeling comfortable doing any agressive mountain driving with the way it is right now:vgrumpy:

Have fun!!

DuckWingDuck
September 12th, 2009, 00:32
Steve, know completely how you feel, with all the gremlins in my car, when I had lunch with my tech today, we were joking that I'd be seeing him on Monday again.

sheatisdale
September 12th, 2009, 04:33
Wow, this looks like a great event. Wish I was on the west coast and could attend.

DuckWingDuck
September 12th, 2009, 05:10
Check into your local chapter of Audi Club, what we do down here is nothing compared to what the guys do up in Northern California.

DHall1
September 13th, 2009, 04:14
Hey,

How is the new car? Pics!

We spent the day in San Diego along the coast with the beast. Ahhhhh love the canyon runs around here. You CA folks have the best canyon runs.

See you all in the AM

Wow, this looks like a great event. Wish I was on the west coast and could attend.

DuckWingDuck
September 14th, 2009, 01:49
great to see everybody that made it out today. Will have pictures up shortly!

ben916
September 14th, 2009, 02:10
and a movie... :)

DuckWingDuck
September 14th, 2009, 02:16
friggin' 13 minute movie clocked in at 1.3GB!!! I need to re-encode and shrink the size, hope you had a good ride today Ben :D

ben916
September 14th, 2009, 02:22
I had a great time! How was the pie?

Movie might have to be on Youtube for the length/hits...

Thanks for the "pucker factor" and making the need for one in MY garage....

DuckWingDuck
September 14th, 2009, 02:28
ya, most likely i'll upload to youtube but have my own servers, need to reencode no matter what though.

looking forward to meeting the mrs and getting her to go on a ride as well!

AUDI5000CSTQ
September 14th, 2009, 04:29
Hi to all what a great day. Sorry I had to leave you Greg in group 2 and follow my heart to group 1. It was very nice to put faces to names and meet new friends. Sorry to the two TTs I almost had as hood mounts. I will try and add photos and then later movies

DuckWingDuck
September 14th, 2009, 04:45
John, you had to do it! Totally understandable, glad to hear you had fun.

DHall1
September 14th, 2009, 06:55
And what about your smoking brakes that I had had to carry the RS6 torch onward??

:addict:

:doh:

Ahhhh, RS6s in group 1 and that pesky supercharged A4 with Seth behind the wheel. He had the road knowledge when the blind corners and dropoffs hit one after another.

Great fun and an even better route than Mulholland. Amazing!

Hi to all what a great day. Sorry I had to leave you Greg in group 2 and follow my heart to group 1. It was very nice to put faces to names and meet new friends. Sorry to the two TTs I almost had as hood mounts. I will try and add photos and then later movies

DHall1
September 14th, 2009, 07:50
Does it beat John's vid where he hit the cattle grate and bam! Before that they were talking about how I cut off the TT and went to the front.

:deal:

friggin' 13 minute movie clocked in at 1.3GB!!! I need to re-encode and shrink the size, hope you had a good ride today Ben :D

DHall1
September 14th, 2009, 07:56
Ahhhh,

The TT's....what a pair. Sorry I had to cut the blue one off and move forward. It had to be done. Then we went to Gp1 and had to do it all over again. And finally when the beasts were running 2 and 3 in Gp1 it was all worth it. I got to see John slide it in the corners and come out smiling.

Got to love it.

AUDI5000CSTQ
September 14th, 2009, 14:36
Dave, I think the comment from gp1 tt was " Those RS6 guys are crazy".
I got the vids down to about 3 megs but still cant post. Would be nice to show others what was going on. Joachim did a great job videoing while hanging on and not barfing in my car. And yes your car was faster until I learned to turn the A/C off.:incar:

DHall1
September 14th, 2009, 17:02
Too funny :hahahehe: :harass: "Those RS6 guys are crazy"

I guess they have never driven a :addict:. I was not even pushing mine that hard. Next time they will just let us go to the front without hassle.

:w:

Dave, I think the comment from gp1 tt was " Those RS6 guys are crazy".
I got the vids down to about 3 megs but still cant post. Would be nice to show others what was going on. Joachim did a great job videoing while hanging on and not barfing in my car. And yes your car was faster until I learned to turn the A/C off.:incar:

ben916
September 14th, 2009, 19:14
I now understand the reason/need/desire for the Recaros...

Bummed that Benman and his daughter had to cut it short.

DuckWingDuck
September 14th, 2009, 19:21
John's vids are hosted here:

http://www.twilightstar.net/greg/RS6/MVI_2726_NEW.m4v http://www.twilightstar.net/greg/RS6/MVI_2732_NEW.m4v

ben916
September 14th, 2009, 21:12
That dip/crunch was brutal!

Was that "hosted" music? :)

DHall1
September 14th, 2009, 22:46
Hey,

Seinfeld has nothing on John and Joachim.

I mean its the best stuff since Dudley's bread.

Great day for all.

That dip/crunch was brutal!

Was that "hosted" music? :)

DuckWingDuck
September 14th, 2009, 22:50
man, we should've been running music instead of listening to me repeating 15 times about what a bastard that dude who throws rocks onto the road is. Haha. Messing with a couple different encodes to optimise quality and size.

Dave - did you also get some pie?

Benman
September 14th, 2009, 23:30
Bummed that Benman and his daughter had to cut it short.

As was I, but still a great time all. :cheers:

ben916
September 15th, 2009, 02:39
man, we should've been running music instead of listening to me repeating 15 times about what a bastard that dude who throws rocks onto the road is. Haha. Messing with a couple different encodes to optimise quality and size.

good thing YOU said it...

DHall1
September 15th, 2009, 03:11
No pie.

I stopped in Dudley's for the bread. 5 for 4.

Good stuff.

Dave - did you also get some pie?

DuckWingDuck
September 15th, 2009, 05:02
Alright y'all, here're the pics: http://pictures.twilightstar.net/v/greg/RS6/2009_julian/

Vids'll be up soon. It'll be a couple hundred megs so ya, I'll probably be posting it on Craptube.

DuckWingDuck
September 15th, 2009, 05:07
Alright, here it is, the long awaited Mesa Grande drive, commentary by yours truly and ben916. The file's about 80MB but on most systems, it should load a bit and stream. Will post craptube link as soon as that upload is finished...

http://www.twilightstar.net/greg/RS6/MVI_0365.mp4

AUDI5000CSTQ
September 15th, 2009, 06:13
Greg, Thanks for the great picks and smooth video. I guess that's the difference between a working DRC and PSS9 set to 9.:mech: You didn't drive to music?:music: I made a CD just for the run.
It's good for when Seth brings Dave and myself up to 130 at the end of Mesa Grandee, Damn supercharger! :race:
So Dave did your wife like the Jalapeno Cheddar cheese bread?
Thanks everyone for the time and the effort to pull off such a great day.

DHall1
September 15th, 2009, 06:54
Greg has the KW struts.

Dudley's was a hit. Apple and cheddar have been tasty so far. We will be back next year for sure.

Greg, Thanks for the great picks and smooth video. I guess that's the difference between a working DRC and PSS9 set to 9.:mech: You didn't drive to music?:music: I made a CD just for the run.
It's good for when Seth brings Dave and myself up to 130 at the end of Mesa Grandee, Damn supercharger! :race:
So Dave did your wife like the Jalapeno Cheddar cheese bread?
Thanks everyone for the time and the effort to pull off such a great day.

DuckWingDuck
September 15th, 2009, 06:59
Ya, I'm running on KW, my setting is on "medium"/factory default.

And I actually do generally drive to music but as you can hear from the vid, we were mostly running with the windows down enjoying the rush of the air and the engine noise :-D

To be honest, I actually prefer east grade/south grade (i.e. up and down palomar) more than mesa grande. But as Dave succinctly put it, "it's all good."

DHall1
September 15th, 2009, 07:08
Greg,

Link does not work? What needs to be done?

Alright, here it is, the long awaited Mesa Grande drive, commentary by yours truly and ben916. The file's about 80MB but on most systems, it should load a bit and stream. Will post craptube link as soon as that upload is finished...

http://www.twilightstar.net/greg/RS6/MVI_0365.mp4

AUDI5000CSTQ
September 15th, 2009, 07:10
A gift from Joachim. Leave it to a chinaman to capture the personal side of an adrenalin rush.

I like this set…

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7659402@N02/sets/72157600158653390/show/ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7659402@N02/sets/72157600158653390/show/)

AUDI5000CSTQ
September 15th, 2009, 07:14
Dave, the link works, it's just massive! click on it and go toast some bread. when you come back it will be running.
email when it's time to buy:vhmmm:

DHall1
September 15th, 2009, 07:22
LOL

If you have the margin to sell the naked options. I will send you the trigger points. I have some running right now

Dave, the link works, it's just massive! click on it and go toast some bread. when you come back it will be running.
email when it's time to buy:vhmmm:

AUDI5000CSTQ
September 15th, 2009, 07:28
Dave, can only sell covered calls and buy low. Let me know for the low prior to the bump.

Ben916, buy that RS6 for low 30s and 42k miles and beafed up. Then come out and play and not be a passenger. life is not a spectator sport.

DHall1
September 15th, 2009, 07:55
Ben,

I bumped the thread for the Texas RS6 car. Did you see it?

John...got ya. What platform do you use? They are strict on the naked positions. hmmm

Here is one. You will like these. TZA Jan 10 50s

Dave, can only sell covered calls and buy low. Let me know for the low prior to the bump.

Ben916, buy that RS6 for low 30s and 42k miles and beafed up. Then come out and play and not be a passenger. life is not a spectator sport.

DuckWingDuck
September 15th, 2009, 11:18
stupid effin' craptube. The vid is 13 minutes long and so they removed it. Bastards.

ben916
September 15th, 2009, 16:55
Alright y'all, here're the pics: http://pictures.twilightstar.net/v/greg/RS6/2009_julian/

Vids'll be up soon. It'll be a couple hundred megs so ya, I'll probably be posting it on Craptube.

hmmppphhh!!!

Can you fuzz out that boring Honda Accord with 67k??? What a$$ parked that thing right in front?!?!?
IMG_0331

DHall1
September 15th, 2009, 17:22
Greg,

Remind me to clean your windshield before the next run. :hahahehe::incar:

Break into 2 parts for youtube.

stupid effin' craptube. The vid is 13 minutes long and so they removed it. Bastards.

DuckWingDuck
September 15th, 2009, 18:14
ya, just broke 'em up and re-encoding. will have vids up shortly.

And hey, I don't want to be tossing anybody under the bus but there was a reason why the windshield was so dirty :p

ben916
September 15th, 2009, 18:19
ya, just broke 'em up and re-encoding. will have vids up shortly.

And hey, I don't want to be tossing anybody under the bus but there was a reason why the windshield was so dirty :p

oppsss!!!

I did offer to clean them...

DuckWingDuck
September 15th, 2009, 18:33
hahaha, I'm just messing with ya. Should've opened the sunroof and have you take the vid out of the car.

actually, speaking of which, I think that Fred guy we ran into at the pie shop mounted a camera on the side of his car, should try to track him down and get the video.

revised videos will be on craptube in about 45 minutes.

DuckWingDuck
September 15th, 2009, 19:08
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OCbEt7_DHXU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OCbEt7_DHXU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCbEt7_DHXU

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JRJEXvHsUMQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JRJEXvHsUMQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRJEXvHsUMQ