PDA

View Full Version : DRC repair done today

Rad-RS6
August 27th, 2009, 02:40
First off, we have over 30 RS6's in my service area, so they have been doing many of these already, so i expected good results.

To my eye, heights all look even and overall height similar to prior, so far so good. Ride firmer, turn in response very crisp.... more good. But I can't help but notice that steering takes more effort. I mean turning the wheel (esp. at slower speeds) requires a tad more effort than before. weird.

Am I imagining this? Anyone else notice this?

Rad-RS6
August 27th, 2009, 03:03
just took her for another spin. overall, its a lot tighter, and i wonder if this harder/tighter feeling at slow speeds (like turning into my driveway) is the way the thing was supposed to feel all along? overall, I dig it

DHall1
August 27th, 2009, 03:35
Yes

Now you have a real RS6.

Enjoy

just took her for another spin. overall, its a lot tighter, and i wonder if this harder/tighter feeling at slow speeds (like turning into my driveway) is the way the thing was supposed to feel all along? overall, I dig it

V8weight
August 27th, 2009, 04:00
I assume you had this done at Carousel?

Rad-RS6
August 27th, 2009, 04:25
Yes

Now you have a real RS6.

Enjoy

HA, that's what I thought. But I have a confession to make, I hardly ever drive it outside of winter, preferring the boosted E36 M3 vert (400whp, rwd, 3300# curb weight), so in all fairness, it had been many weeks to months since I drove her.

Yes, carousel did it

mmaturo
August 27th, 2009, 06:13
First off, we have over 30 RS6's in my service area, so they have been doing many of these already, so i expected good results.

To my eye, heights all look even and overall height similar to prior, so far so good. Ride firmer, turn in response very crisp.... more good. But I can't help but notice that steering takes more effort. I mean turning the wheel (esp. at slower speeds) requires a tad more effort than before. weird.

Am I imagining this? Anyone else notice this?

I found that i thought my steering was rather heavy after stepping back into from the newer Audi loaner cars that have much more assist at slow speeds (variable assist)...i could steer the A4 and the Q7 with one finger at parking lot speeds...not so much in the RS6.

2 weeks with new DRC and i'm happy with it.

hahnmgh63
August 27th, 2009, 23:16
Just picked up my car from fix #2 (first was the initial repair and new struts/shocks, then #2 to re-lower the car). The car sits 14 3/4" from center of hub to the fender in the rear and 14 1/8" in the front. Not much of an improvement from before, although I do run without the spare tire/tool kit and I do have the Odyssey 925T battery which is 39# lighter than stock so I'm looking at a weight savings off the rear end of about 100#'s which may be the reason mine is a little higher than others? Made my decision after the pickup today for the KW V3 install to begin in early Oktober, DRC heading for the dump.
I did feel that after having the car lowered slightly that is was softer than when I picked it up from the initial repair 2 weeks ago?

SAF
August 28th, 2009, 00:12
...in early Oktober, DRC heading for the dump.

Please give me right of first refusal on taking those parts off your hands when you do this project!!!

hahnmgh63
August 28th, 2009, 07:43
No problem SAF, they'll be yours.

SAF
August 28th, 2009, 18:08
No problem SAF, they'll be yours.

Thanks, I would greatly appreciate it. In the meantime, good luck!

Qisha
August 28th, 2009, 19:41
I did feel that after having the car lowered slightly that is was softer than when I picked it up from the initial repair 2 weeks ago?

Dear hahnmgh63,

is your car running with OE springs?

Qisha

hahnmgh63
August 28th, 2009, 22:02
Yes mine had the original DRC up through 56,000 miles. Some slight seeping started about 10K ago from the rear shocks with an occaisonal clunking noise. I purchased the full KW V3 setup as well as all new control arms about 1 month before Audi announced the DRC recall. I decided to hold off on the KW install until I saw how the recall was going. Initial DRC recall experiences were mixed and continue to be that way. Two weeks ago my car was firmer than before when I picked it up from the dealer (Initial recall fix) but the ride height was 15 1/8" from the center of the rear axle hub to the bottom of the fender flare. Now that they have worked on it again to lower it down (14 3/4" measurement), it seems softer than two weeks ago. And it is higher than originally. There is a noticeable gap between the top of the tire and the bottom of the fender flare (factory circumfrence 19x8.5 BBS RS-GT wheels w/255/35-19" tires). The car looks to be sitting high at both end although higher in the rear. I asked the dealer if they could go any lower but they said that was all they could do so in a couple of months when I get the time it will be KW V3's with all new control arms and the brand new DRC will be gone.

Qisha
August 29th, 2009, 12:07
Dear hahnmgh63,

i am confused about the fact that so many dealers still mishandle the repair procedure. The guide point for point shows each step to be taken. All specifics and warnings are highlighted. Obviously the DRC has not been evacuated properly and/or filled with the correct pressure.

I know about proper repair jobs done here:

Audi North Scottsdale
18088 N Scottsdale Road
Phoenix, AZ 85054, United States
+1 480-538-4000

Maybe it is a option for your local dealer to contact the techs over there. These guys do know how to handle the DRC repair procedure.

I would like to point out that a working DRC systems does not have any competition on the aftermarket side when it comes to performance. This was one pro for the use in the RS cars, because of the fact "it makes the difference".

Again, i feel sorry to hear about the insecurity with the repair procedures. :nana:

Qisha

Aronis
August 29th, 2009, 16:57
My 2 Cents:

Had my system redone two weeks ago.

Ride Height:

Front Driver 14 1/8 inch center of wheel to arch
Front Passenger 14 1/8
Rear Driver 14 1/2
Read Passenger 14 1/2

Ride Better????
1. Pushing on car - still softer than I recall before failure

2. All new bushings and control arms etc $1700 out of pocket - no more groans and moans on slow turns especially on enbankments - pulling into parking lot etc.)

3. High speed on ramps - prior to failure I lived in a remote area, just country roads, rarely on an on-ramp, after failure moved to less rural area, plenty of on ramps, before 'new system, after first repair - ok on on ramps, no squeeling prior to my feeling like it's loosing adhesion, after 'new system' - feels planted but I can get tire squeeling to scar the shit out of you....reason.....they adjusted my TIRE PRESSURE TO 25-28 PSI all around! WTF....I just corrected that (I like it at 48 PSI - even wear, better handling IMO) I'll repost when I have the chance to drive again later today (it's wet out today though)

4. The Obligatory screw up -minor - the tech did not properly replace that big undercarage plastic shroud thing, it was sticking out on the passenger side, pain in the ass, 45 minutes on the ground, 60 seconds for the tech on the lift. This is the kind of minor stuff that makes me very concerned about other possible missing screws, etc....

Mike

hahnmgh63
August 29th, 2009, 17:17
I only had an occaisonal clunk before the "FIX", and the rear end always seemed to be planted fairly well although I did notice it getting a little softer over the last 20K miles. Now it is as soft as before the fix if not softer and with the clunking and occaisonal shifting that is occuring in the rear end it is unsafe. I think I am now feeling the failed DRC that I've heard people talking about these last few years. I always wondered how bad it really was from the posts but now I know that mine was still working, just getting slightly softer (probably partially due to the slight seeping from the rear shocks, probably loosing a little pressure too). I'm fortunate at least to have a fairly well outfitted shop with a lift and lots of tools as I have a couple of track cars which always need attention. I'm probably heading out there today as I put the RS6 on the lift yesterday, was going to check the tightness of everything but I may just get motivated enough to start pulling it all out and install the KW's and all of the new control arms.

Aronis
August 29th, 2009, 17:37
Some of the Clunking could just be normal wear and tear parts, bushings etc. They replaced everything when they did the repair, control arms, bushings, upper shock mounts, and I think that is worthwhile at 90,000 miles.

The only suspension problem I had with my 1997 M3 was the rear shock mount broke on one side. I DIY repair $35.00 parts and 45 minutes of time. The biggest challenge was getting the carpet back in place in the trunk! PITA. I had 50k miles on that car when it broke.

My DRC failed at about 35k (if I recall correctly). I used up the rest of my 48k warrantee driving back and forth from Malone to Albany (4 hours each way). They gave me two free lease months for my trouble!

Mike

DHall1
August 29th, 2009, 18:02
Qisha,

Funny you single out my dealer. That is where my car had the DRC replaced several months ago. 5-09 Working closely with staff at AoA to ensure that all the proper steps were taken in my repair. Marcus is the RS6 tech at that dealer and the only person in the shop touching the DRC tool. IMHO this is the only way to go. 1 technician working on DRC replacements.

Its also not by accident that my car has been perfect since day 1 of the repair. Performance and ride height are perfect. I have said this before....the working DRC is a thing of beauty. Audi has saved this customer and my next vehicle will be the R8 or a clean diesel performance model. Hurry up and build one.

Cheers! Its a small world.

Dear hahnmgh63,

i am confused about the fact that so many dealers still mishandle the repair procedure. The guide point for point shows each step to be taken. All specifics and warnings are highlighted. Obviously the DRC has not been evacuated properly and/or filled with the correct pressure.

I know about proper repair jobs done here:

Audi North Scottsdale
18088 N Scottsdale Road
Phoenix, AZ 85054, United States
+1 480-538-4000

Maybe it is a option for your local dealer to contact the techs over there. These guys do know how to handle the DRC repair procedure.

I would like to point out that a working DRC systems does not have any competition on the aftermarket side when it comes to performance. This was one pro for the use in the RS cars, because of the fact "it makes the difference".

Again, i feel sorry to hear about the insecurity with the repair procedures. :nana:

Qisha

DHall1
August 29th, 2009, 18:08
Mike,

Your ride height is exactly the same as mine and it sounds like your happy with the performance. Good luck with it.

My 2 Cents:

Had my system redone two weeks ago.

Ride Height:

Front Driver 14 1/8 inch center of wheel to arch
Front Passenger 14 1/8
Rear Driver 14 1/2
Read Passenger 14 1/2

Ride Better????
1. Pushing on car - still softer than I recall before failure

2. All new bushings and control arms etc $1700 out of pocket - no more groans and moans on slow turns especially on enbankments - pulling into parking lot etc.)

3. High speed on ramps - prior to failure I lived in a remote area, just country roads, rarely on an on-ramp, after failure moved to less rural area, plenty of on ramps, before 'new system, after first repair - ok on on ramps, no squeeling prior to my feeling like it's loosing adhesion, after 'new system' - feels planted but I can get tire squeeling to scar the shit out of you....reason.....they adjusted my TIRE PRESSURE TO 25-28 PSI all around! WTF....I just corrected that (I like it at 48 PSI - even wear, better handling IMO) I'll repost when I have the chance to drive again later today (it's wet out today though)

4. The Obligatory screw up -minor - the tech did not properly replace that big undercarage plastic shroud thing, it was sticking out on the passenger side, pain in the ass, 45 minutes on the ground, 60 seconds for the tech on the lift. This is the kind of minor stuff that makes me very concerned about other possible missing screws, etc....

Mike

DHall1
August 29th, 2009, 18:12
Exactly how mine started to feel at 29k this spring when the struts just started to "weep". Pressure loss, slight clunk in the rear and softer overall damping on both strokes.

The difference is the repair. From day 1 my repair brought the car right back to where it was before the seeping started. Edge and control were vastly improved over a car that was not that bad or leaking that bad.

In addition, my ride height was spot on. Perfect.

I have a feeling the repair was botched on your end. Sorry about that. I really dont know why some cant get these things sorted properly.

I only had an occaisonal clunk before the "FIX", and the rear end always seemed to be planted fairly well although I did notice it getting a little softer over the last 20K miles. Now it is as soft as before the fix if not softer and with the clunking and occaisonal shifting that is occuring in the rear end it is unsafe. I think I am now feeling the failed DRC that I've heard people talking about these last few years. I always wondered how bad it really was from the posts but now I know that mine was still working, just getting slightly softer (probably partially due to the slight seeping from the rear shocks, probably loosing a little pressure too). I'm fortunate at least to have a fairly well outfitted shop with a lift and lots of tools as I have a couple of track cars which always need attention. I'm probably heading out there today as I put the RS6 on the lift yesterday, was going to check the tightness of everything but I may just get motivated enough to start pulling it all out and install the KW's and all of the new control arms.

MikeL01
August 29th, 2009, 21:01
Got my RS6 back from the dealer last Thursday. I had the control arms replaced (under warranty) and 45K service. The dealer did a great job the car handles better that I ever expected. The power was down though, I asked my service manager if they flashed the computer and he said there was a service update. I took it to my Revo tuner who re-flashed the ECU at no charge. I guess you get use to the ECU upgrade until its gone. What a difference.

hahnmgh63
August 30th, 2009, 02:59
I discovered why on the second attempt for the "NEW GREAT AUDI DRC FIX" that the suspension felt terrible in the rear on a somewhat aggressive drive home. The mechanic didn't hook up the lower end of the drop link on the left side of the rear swaybar. Don't they follow a checklist and double check their own work? I work back and forth from one side to another and when I'm done I check everything, one item at a time.
Well so much for the DRC, I was pissed so I started pulling it all out and so far have the rear KW's installed and I have removed all of the rear DRC including the hydraulic line all the way to the front wheel wells. It wasn't too bad, just time consuming. For now I set my rear ride height at 13" from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender flare and it looks pretty good. The KW's will allow a lot lower but I don't think I'll go any lower. I'll post pics in the next couple of days after I get the front done. I'll probably start on the front tomorrow as I imagine it will be a little more work than the rear, especially if I start changing control arms. We'll see. Why couldn't Audi figure this out?? It isn't rocket science.

mmaturo
August 30th, 2009, 07:10
Qisha,

Funny you single out my dealer. That is where my car had the DRC replaced several months ago. 5-09 Working closely with staff at AoA to ensure that all the proper steps were taken in my repair. Marcus is the RS6 tech at that dealer and the only person in the shop touching the DRC tool. IMHO this is the only way to go. 1 technician working on DRC replacements.

Its also not by accident that my car has been perfect since day 1 of the repair. Performance and ride height are perfect. I have said this before....the working DRC is a thing of beauty. Audi has saved this customer and my next vehicle will be the R8 or a clean diesel performance model. Hurry up and build one.

Cheers! Its a small world.

You know what i find fun is i have owned several Audi's and my particular RS6 is a COMPLETE...yep COMPLETE disaster that A of A has not at all helped me with over 4 years of owning it but my loyalty is still there from my last two Audi's that were (one still with my ex wife that 150K miles is perfect... 94 cabrio) near perfect. So my next car will be an R8 (8 or 10 we will see) or RS5 or both (audi send the C6 RS6 and i will be done) and sadly i KNOW ANY... YES ANY Audi i own again will have less issues than my f$%@ing car has and i will love it. 4 years and it spent 7 yes 7 months of it in the shop. Maybe more...i am to afraid to look. Good thing i happen to own a really fast (extra hp...dyno at 395 at the wheels stock) one. It will be destroyed in my hands as i run it into the ground, as its value is gone, driving the hell out of it...it deserves better.

hahnmgh63
August 30th, 2009, 16:31
mmaturo, too bad, sorry to hear about your very bad luck with this car. Like you, I have been an Audi owner for a while and have converted a few others family/friends to the brand. My car (at 56K) has never had the DRC worked on before this "FIX" and now that I've had the "FIX" I know that mine was one of the exceptionally few that still had working DRC but as I mentioned in an earlier post, the rear shocks were starting to seep and it was only time. I've known all along that I was on borrowed time (hence the KW's already purchased almost 1 year ago). Now with the KW install I will be running much happier again, I've always wanted the car about 1" lower than stock, but with the new fix my car was still over 1/2" above my old stock height so I will be happy with the car again until the tranny goes, then hopefully I will be able to get it rebuilt better than factory and running stronger than ever. Then maybe the turbos will go, or most likely have to replace the intercoolers (I think my passenger side is leaking a little alreay). MY car has only been in the shop for the 35K service (timing belt), and now the DRC so I really can't complain compared to others, although I will anyways.

Rad-RS6
August 30th, 2009, 16:47
update: yesterday I noticed that the rear of the car sits too high, definitely higher than before the upgrade. wtf?

Despite me not having any specific issues with DRC leaking or transmission failures yet, combined with the fact that the tranny, o2 sensor, turbo unit, components could fail at any moment (costing me thousands out of warranty) - all this misery and uncertainty did play a factor in me trading in the RS6 yesterday for a new E63AMG.

I am still getting used to it, but it feel very different from the RS6. Not to denigrate that car, cause i liked it and it served me well for 3 years, but a lot has happened drivetrain technology-wise in 6 years, and I never ever dug the combination of the peaky turbo power with the crapola slushbox AT it came with - made for herky-jerky sprints, and forget about downshifts. It never seemed to be in the right gear and shifts were clunky....By comparison, the E's power though the slick 7-speed is seamlessly silky smooth and instantly available, with unmatched finesse. The RS6 is george foreman or roberto duran, the E63 is Muhammad Ali or sugar ray leonard. It feels quite a bit lighter in the corners too, but i have yet to scratch the surface..... but I would be remiss if I didnt add that they were basically giving this E63 away, making room for the new models, and that this also influenced the decision greatly.

anyway, thanks for the advice - and best of luck to present and future owners.

DHall1
August 30th, 2009, 19:07
Good luck,

See my post in your other thread. Can you answer those ??

update: yesterday I noticed that the rear of the car sits too high, definitely higher than before the upgrade. wtf?

Despite me not having any specific issues with DRC leaking or transmission failures yet, combined with the fact that the tranny, o2 sensor, turbo unit, components could fail at any moment (costing me thousands out of warranty) - all this misery and uncertainty did play a factor in me trading in the RS6 yesterday for a new E63AMG.

I am still getting used to it, but it feel very different from the RS6. Not to denigrate that car, cause i liked it and it served me well for 3 years, but a lot has happened drivetrain technology-wise in 6 years, and I never ever dug the combination of the peaky turbo power with the crapola slushbox AT it came with - made for herky-jerky sprints, and forget about downshifts. It never seemed to be in the right gear and shifts were clunky....By comparison, the E's power though the slick 7-speed is seamlessly silky smooth and instantly available, with unmatched finesse. The RS6 is george foreman or roberto duran, the E63 is Muhammad Ali or sugar ray leonard. It feels quite a bit lighter in the corners too, but i have yet to scratch the surface..... but I would be remiss if I didnt add that they were basically giving this E63 away, making room for the new models, and that this also influenced the decision greatly.

anyway, thanks for the advice - and best of luck to present and future owners.