PDA

View Full Version : clunky downshifting??

btumble
August 22nd, 2003, 02:38
Just got back from finally getting some miles on the car....more fun than humans should be allowed :D I have to ask though: what stealth? got so many comments, even got flagged down by a pair of 11 year old boys.
I have noticed that when coasting from a moderate speed, one of the downshifts is rather clunky. Haven't figured yet if it is 4-3 or 3-2. Seems like shift is at the wrong rpm level. Anyone have any thoughts?

thanks.

btumble
'03 daytona gray RS6
'02 S4
and an empty garage bay

Rally
August 22nd, 2003, 05:38
I would guess the tranny is trying to learn your shift patterns.
Mine is doing the same thing at times especially in sport mode.
No big deal IMO.

Finnus
August 22nd, 2003, 13:59
what stealth? got so many comments

That's interesting, in the Capital Region (Albany, NY), I get very few comments. I've only had a couple people recognize the Beast. It does turn some heads though when you drive by ...

Finnus

btumble
August 23rd, 2003, 14:38
Forgot to mention this happens while in D.

That's interesting, in the Capital Region (Albany, NY), I get very few comments

It may be regional. Had the car about a month and not a single notice here in NE NJ. Went out to Hamptons, everybody knew the car (including the kids). even the guys working the New London ferry were discussing it. It was kind of suprising. :rolleyes:

nene
August 24th, 2003, 20:41
I have not noticed any clunkiness on the RS6 yet, as I had noticed it a bit on the S4 (also Tip).

In D Mode, when I use the Tiptronic mode, if I do downshift from 3rd to 2nd, I do notice the car slow down as expected, and sort of abrupt, but no clunkiness from the trans. Same happens from 2nd to 1st, but again no clunkiness. I'll try the S Mode to check it out, and report.

eph94
August 24th, 2003, 23:37
I've noticed that the downshifts are not smooth as downshifting while matching revs in manual. I can definitely feel the car lurch as the car downshifts, but no "clunk" from the transmission. Is that what you are referring to? This is also characteristic of the Tiptronic that we have in the X5, so it is not suprising to experience it in the RS6 albeit a little disappointing. (To be fair to the RS6, it is much smoother and quicker in the RS6 than it is in the X5.) I honestly can't see any other way around it other than for the engine management software on the downshift to blip the throttle to match the revs of the engine to the speed of the incoming gear, but then again I'm not sure if that is possible with an automatic transmission. In my previous car, a 540, I could downshift from 4th to 2nd without "upsetting" the composure of the car and without a passenger feeling any difference other than aurally, but I also had to work a lot harder while driving. As with all cars, there are trade-offs between manual and automatic transmissions. Even with the slight lurch, I'm not complaining. The downshifts are definitely smoother than those in manual tranny cars when people DON'T match revs on the downshift. I also like how the car is always in the right gear at the right time. That's pretty impressive in it's own right for a slushbox!!

:0: :addict: :0:

GmbHouse
August 25th, 2003, 19:14
I have also noticed a slight "lurching" in automatic mode as I slow down. It is either the 4-3 or 3-2 downshift, maybe both??

btumble
August 26th, 2003, 19:09
a slight "lurching" in automatic mode as I slow down

That's exactly what I experience, didn't explain it too well above. All in all, I am pleased with the auto shifting in D, particularly not having to manually downshift from 5 when going up long gradual inclince as I had to do in my allroad.

Haven't spoken to the dealer about this yet, glad to know its not just me. May be only a quirk in the gearing.....one I'll learn to live with given the rest of the car's performance ;)

stratmosphere
August 27th, 2003, 18:14
Same issue/feature on our car here. -Pete, Stratmosphere