PDA

View Full Version : New Audi logo

roadrunner
August 26th, 2009, 13:20
Rings & Audi text redesigned

http://www.designtagebuch.de/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/audi-logo.gif

More here: http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/audis_typographic_stylings.php

The RS6
August 26th, 2009, 15:27
"As part of its week-long centennial celebration that included news about the upcoming release of the S5 Quattro — which might mean something to autophiles, but not much to me"

Obviously :D

LOL

Is that real? The web site's name is UnderConsideration.Com :D

roadrunner
August 26th, 2009, 15:35

Is that real? The web site's name is UnderConsideration.Com :D

It is. Read it 1st on some german sites, but found this one at first in English. As not all of the RS6.com'ers know German ;)

JavierNuvolari
August 26th, 2009, 16:19
mmm.....I would like it better if it were the new rings and the old letters....but looks nice nonetheless.

Saludos people.

Benman
August 27th, 2009, 06:12
mmm.....I would like it better if it were the new rings and the old letters....but looks nice nonetheless.

Saludos people.

EXACTLY! The new rings are nice, but the old letters had more character. The news ones look like some cookie cutter setting on Microsoft Word. Lame...

Ben:addict:

roadrunner
August 27th, 2009, 14:35
Feel the same, Rings are looking good. New text looses all of the special typo that the traditional had.

On the other hand - i think this is part of a bigger plan. Making the Audi rings recognizeable without ANY text. What else would you wish for your brand icon? That it is recognized by everybody without having to read what it is.

And i think that Audi is on this way. That's probably why the choose this "everyday" typo and let it shrink.

Next evolution in couple of years will be the rings alone.

f1esp
August 27th, 2009, 16:04
The new rings are nice, but the old letters had more character. The news ones look like some cookie cutter setting on Microsoft Word. Lame...

I totally agree with you! :thumb:

AndyBG
August 27th, 2009, 19:42
New rings, but man, old letters are SO BETTER!!!

Klint
August 27th, 2009, 23:36
EXACTLY! The new rings are nice, but the old letters had more character. The news ones look like some cookie cutter setting on Microsoft Word. Lame...

Would love to know how much Audi paid the graphic designers for their efforts!

BP once got charged £6mln to put a shadow on the font of their corporate logo.

Benman
August 28th, 2009, 18:43
Would love to know how much Audi paid the graphic designers for their efforts!

BP once got charged £6mln to put a shadow on the font of their corporate logo. :bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes:

As in six million?!?!?

Crazy...

The Pretender
August 28th, 2009, 19:24
The new rings are nice....
For many decenniums i don't like the Audi rings, there is no interlocking anymore like it should be.

Like back in the day's with "Auto union.

http://s3z.com/interauto.jpg

Audi shoud have them changed back to this, with the old letters.

http://s3z.com/interaudi.jpg

f1esp
August 28th, 2009, 21:50
( ()()() )

Audi
Audi
Audi
Audi
Audi
Audi
Audi

I want 6 million for my efforts!

:deal:

tailpipe
August 31st, 2009, 07:37
Pretender,

You may be correct. There are increasing reports that the Volkswagen Group will change its name to Auto Union with the four Audi rings as the primary logo.

roadrunner
August 31st, 2009, 08:11
Pretender,

You may be correct. There are increasing reports that the Volkswagen Group will change its name to Auto Union with the four Audi rings as the primary logo.

Have heard contradicting reports about Renaming to Auto Union.

BUT your last statement about the rings as the primary logo :nono:

What sense would that make?

The origin was logical: The four Auto Union rings ressembled the four brands joined together in the Auto Union: Audi, DKW, Horch, Wanderer

But today: four rings = Audi. That's it

Audi worked hard enough in the last decades to make them THE brand icon

tailpipe
September 3rd, 2009, 13:29
Four rings was Auto Union's original logo. If you're bringing back the name, you might as well bring back the logo. Who cares if the Group now consists of 10 brands.

Such a move would elevate Audi above VW. Given that it is the Group's most profitable and arguably as such its most important brand, delivering on average 33% of the VW Group's profits, perhaps enhancing Audi's brand's stature internally is a good way of enhancing its status externally. This is important, because it directly influences the price premium Audi can charge to customers like you and I.

Of course, there may be more to this than meets the eye. VW may be considering a much more far-reaching regrouping of its brands, which could even involve spinning off some. For instance, the overlap between Porsche and Lamborghini and even Skoda and VW is such that the cannibalisation effect they have may necessitate a structural change to the Group.

As a brand strategist, I believe that the Group's portfolio is rapidly becoming too large and unwieldy. The danger of having models for every brand in every segment is that, while it certainly achieves volume initially, it erodes focus and differentiation. This is what has gradually destroyed GM. It became an amorphous mass of meaningless brands. When your line-up consists of a range of cookie-cutter models that all but identical, you allow a focused attacker to steal your thunder.

For all these reasons, rumours about VW scrapping the Cayenne and Panamera to refocus Porsche, make sense strategically. What else is VW up to? I don't know, but i find it truly fascinating to watch this story as it continues to unfold.