PDA

View Full Version : Possibly RS3 in Frankfurt?

EKaru
August 24th, 2009, 15:47
http://img.worldcarfans.com/2008/6/large/9080601.002.1L.jpg

Speculative, speculative, speculative....

Disclaimer: The model pictured in the main "photo" above is a Photoshop-enhanced image of an A3 TDI Clubsport Quattro Concept made to look like a prospective Audi RS3. The rest are of that same A3 TDI.

The article quoted here is from the Swedish edition of Auto, Motor & Sport, and they claim to have a source inside the Ingolstadt-based Audi who says the RS3 is coming soon.

Audi has not yet officially unveiled an RS3 but we can let loose our imaginations, can't we?

An RS3 will most likely come with Audi's 2.5 liter, 5-cylinder turbocharged engine first seen in the TT RS. That engine produces 340 hp and 450 Nm of torque. It will also be a strict quattro (all-wheel drive). The Swedish mag is also speculating that an RS3 variant of that engine may be dialed up a little and feature anywhere from between 350 to 400 hp, making the model faster than an R8 with the 4.2 liter FSI engine.

If there is going to be an RS3, the Frankfurt motor show next month would be the ideal place to premiere it and that's what the Swedes at Auto, Motor & Sport are saying.

Looks like we will just have to wait until then.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/109082421251/audi-to-unveil-rs3-in-frankfurt

The Pretender
August 24th, 2009, 16:11
Most unlikely.

If something will be showed in that line it will be a next Gen A3 Concept with that engine under the bonnet.

RXBG
August 24th, 2009, 16:33
TTRS or RS3 with 400 hp would also make over 350 of torque- indeed faster than R8 V8.

this will happen- but not until audi phases out or replaces the V8 in the R8 with an updated, more powerful motor.

The Pretender
August 24th, 2009, 16:38
TTRS or RS3 with 400 hp would also make over 350 of torque- indeed faster than R8 V8.

this will happen- but not until audi phases out or replaces the V8 in the R8 with an updated, more powerful motor.
I'm all for the deletion of the R8 V8, make it V10 only.

Ricoloco
August 24th, 2009, 18:44
Some new version of the R8 perhaps....:hahahehe:

The Pretender
August 24th, 2009, 19:05
Some new version of the R8 perhaps....:hahahehe:
Yes electric.

RXBG
August 24th, 2009, 20:34
I'm all for the deletion of the R8 V8, make it V10 only.

i have one AND i agree.

the RS5 et al are becoming potentially wickedly good. no sense holding them back. the V8 must either be updated or replaced with an updated engine- the problem is that it would then cause the same problem for the V10 R8 LOL.

updating the V8 and giving the V10 the full 556 hp it deserves would be fair.

but in all reality (and i think i was the first around here to postulate it) audi will phase out the V8 in the next year or so. 2011 may be the last year- esp. if the RS5 engine can;t be fitted in the R8 application.

HKS786
August 24th, 2009, 22:27
I made that chop :D I would love to see an RS3 especially if there is no RS4. However, time will tell. I doubt we will see one for this gen.

The Pretender
August 24th, 2009, 22:33
I made that chop :D I would love to see an RS3 especially if there is no RS4. However, time will tell. I doubt we will see one for this gen.
Make a new white one (Sportback) with TT RS parts. ;)

roadrunner
August 25th, 2009, 11:29

updating the V8 and giving the V10 the full 556 hp it deserves would be fair.

That's exaclty what is planned (according to info on german forums)

R8 V8 update with the RS5 4.2 engine
R8 V10 with HP upgrade (or is it removing the limiter :hihi: )

RXBG
August 25th, 2009, 13:41
That's exaclty what is planned (according to info on german forums)

R8 V8 update with the RS5 4.2 engine
R8 V10 with HP upgrade (or is it removing the limiter :hihi: )

we'll see. i am extremely curious about this issue.

The RS6
August 25th, 2009, 14:59
There are rumours on some sites that the 2.5TFSI for RS3 would be stronger that 400Hp...?! I don't think that is possible because it would mess up the complete lineup, your opinions?

The Pretender
August 25th, 2009, 15:06
There are rumours on some sites that the 2.5TFSI for RS3 would be stronger that 400Hp...?! I don't think that is possible because it would mess up the complete lineup, your opinions?

There will not be a RS3 based on the 8P A3 IMHO.
And for certain not on the IAA.

The RS6
August 25th, 2009, 15:20
There will not be a RS3 based on the 8P A3 IMHO.
And for certain not on the IAA.

WCF, AMS, AutoBlog all reported it's ready, with up to and even over 400 HP...

The Pretender
August 25th, 2009, 15:57
WCF, AMS, AutoBlog all reported it's ready, with up to and even over 400 HP...
Page filling. ;)

The RS6
August 25th, 2009, 16:56
Page filling. ;)

And your opinion on that blue sportback storming round the ring? :)

rs-6
August 25th, 2009, 16:59
I don't see the use of waiting till the next generation A3 to introduce it. They have the technology etc.
And besides, RS-models are always introduced quite late in the 'model-cycle'.
They did all the investments in the engine, I won't believe they will only use it in the TT-RS for 2/3 years. The TT-RS sells way to little for that.

The Pretender
August 25th, 2009, 17:00
And your opinion on that blue sportback storming round the ring? :)
Next Gen Haldex testing.

The Pretender
August 25th, 2009, 17:07
I don't see the use of waiting till the next generation A3 to introduce it. They have the technology etc.
And besides, RS-models are always introduced quite late in the 'model-cycle'.
They did all the investments in the engine, I won't believe they will only use it in the TT-RS for 2/3 years. The TT-RS sells way to little for that.
New A3/S3 are up next year.

S6V10Avant
August 25th, 2009, 17:15
Next Gen Haldex testing.

Haldex sucks..

The Pretender
August 25th, 2009, 17:26
Haldex sucks..
I agree with you on that one, it's most of the time 80% fwd.

Z07
September 4th, 2009, 11:09
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/241129/sizzling_rs3_set_to_steal_show.html

The ultimate Audi hot hatch is coming!

Auto Express has learned that the firm’s RS badge is set to make its debut on the A3 at September’s Frankfurt Motor Show.

The RS3 will be the latest in an ever-growing line-up of Audi high-performance models.

Power comes from the TT RS’s 2.5-litre five-cylinder turbocharged engine, which means an output of 335bhp. This is transferred to all four wheels via the company’s proven quattro system.

Styling is set to take inspiration from the Clubsport TDI concept car, which debuted in May 2008. The RS3 will feature the same blistered wheelarches, low front splitter and diffuser-style rear bumper, for an imposing look.

Under the skin, the rest of the mechanicals are shared with the current flagship of the range, the S3. From this solid base, Audi’s engineers are only expected to tweak the handling by using stiffer springs, magnetic dampers and bigger brakes.

Extensive testing has been carried out at the Nürburgring in Germany to ensure the car is worthy of the RS badge. It should cover 0-62mph in around five seconds and hit a top speed 155mph.

More details will follow at Frankfurt, but expect a price tag of around £35,000 – making the RS3 a more expensive rival to the Ford Focus RS and BMW 135i.

Mockenrue
September 4th, 2009, 12:21
Auto Express has learned that the firm’s RS badge is set to make its debut on the A3 at September’s Frankfurt Motor Show

Putting aside for one moment the fact that Auto Express isn't worth the paper it's printed on, it would seem to me that all informed opinion on here suggests that an RS derivative of the current 8P A3 is NOT scheduled to appear at IAA, would it not? Where do these magazines get their 'information' from? :vhmmm:

Z07
September 4th, 2009, 19:56
Where do these magazines get their 'information' from? :vhmmm:
Having seen AutoExpress recently give a ZR1 a 1 star rating for road performance, I'm going to guess 'their arse'.

tailpipe
September 7th, 2009, 23:44
RS3 confirmed for Frankfurt by Audi Cape Town after a Twitter tweet.

They're saying 335 bhp.

While releasing an RS version of the A3 so late in the model cycle seems crazy, I wonder if they'll give it extra credibility by installing the new high torque version of the DSG gearbox. This is a 7-speed unit due to be used in Golf GTI/ GTD, Golf GTI-R, Scirocco GT/ GTD, Scirocco R, Audi TT, Audi TTS, and TT-RS, Passat CC, Passat, Jetta etc.

Whatever gearbox goes in the RS3, it should be a great car, especially if it looks as outrageous as the TDI Concept.

andreadebi
September 8th, 2009, 07:32
I'm still not sure about...it sounds strange..also after Quisha previus words..

http://twitter.com/AudiCapeTown/status/3826126276

Leadfoot
September 8th, 2009, 16:59
Either this is a deliberate slight of hand by Audi to keep everyone guessing as to whether the RS3 will show or not, or someone inside Audi SA has a sick sense of humour.

I'm of the belief that we'll be in for a surprise with the RS3 getting it's official showing at Frankfurt.

I'm not so sure that it will show the new high-torque DSG but it would be great if it did as this gearbox is definitely in the pipeline because it's needed for the hi-powered (204hp) diesel unit which is soon to be shown.

The Pretender
September 8th, 2009, 17:02
Yeah right with old logo's. :doh:

Leadfoot
September 8th, 2009, 17:06
Yeah right with old logo's. :doh:

Actually this link (http://twitter.com/AudiCapeTown/status/3826126276) had the new logo, so I don't know what you mean by this Jarod. :vhmmm:

The Pretender
September 8th, 2009, 17:15
Actually this link (http://twitter.com/AudiCapeTown/status/3826126276) had the new logo, so I don't know what you mean by this Jarod. :vhmmm:
I saw this with old logo's the other day.

The Pretender
September 9th, 2009, 18:03
Here it is.

http://www.germancarblog.com/images/audi/audirs3spytweet.jpg

Leadfoot
September 10th, 2009, 10:42
Thanks Jarod, but I still get the feeling that the RS3 will make an appearance. If not at Frankfurt then very soon.

ZeroCool
September 10th, 2009, 13:53
No RS3 8P