PDA

View Full Version : 03 RS6 brake upgrade options?

KfabR8
August 19th, 2009, 18:40
Okay, first off I did search for info on this. I suck at searches too...

I'm ready to put a second set of rotors on my RS6 and I'm wondering what rotors are available as an upgrade for the car?

I've read VW Phateon (or how ever that's spelled) fit - but are they available in the USA?

How about a full floating setup? That would be quite nice.

I'd also like to upgrade the pads. I'm not a track guy at all - just local road terrorizing, but still if there's a better setup than stock as an option that I'd like to hear about it.

I believe I saw a thread where Grizz had done an upgrade - but that also required new calipers, correct?

I'm not to terribly worried about the stock calipers - would rather not have to deal with changing them out.

I have a full machine shop at my disposal, so if it required some work to make the rotors drop on, that shouldn't be an issue for me.

So how about it? What can I do???

Thanks in advance!

KfabR8
August 19th, 2009, 18:46
Pads - as I sit here and search more I'm seeing that EBC offers a set that seems to make the mass majority of those that have tried them happy.

Looks like I'll try to source some Red EBC's for the car.

So how about rotors? I'd really like to go full floating if possible. Isolating the rotor from the hat just makes sense and I've always appreciated it on the bikes that I've changed over to floaters.

AudiRS4ever
August 19th, 2009, 19:12
I have the Alcon 370mm Big Brake kit on the front and stock rotors with EBC Red's on the back. Seems to work pretty good for me. Can't say if I had it to do all over again I would do the Alcon kit. Doesn't really seem much better than the stock setup.

xpl0sive
August 19th, 2009, 19:19
why not do the 390mm rotor upgrade? Grizz can hook you up with a kit... you use a spacer with your stock caliper, no new caliper necessary... the rotors are off the new RS6

DHall1
August 19th, 2009, 19:28
Kfab,

The GRIZZ big brake upgrade is the ticket.

1. Reasonable cost C6 RS6 rotors
2. Keep stock C5 calipers
3. Can still use the VW Phaeton duct kit
4. GRIZZ HAS FIT MANY OF THESE KITS AND THE OWNERS ARE THRILLED.
5. You can still use those EBC Reds.

IMHO the EBC reds are the best way to go. Let me look up some of those threads.

Hang tight just a second...

Ok here it is. IMHO the very best brake thread in 2009. Bar none.

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17213&page=2

Pads - as I sit here and search more I'm seeing that EBC offers a set that seems to make the mass majority of those that have tried them happy.

Looks like I'll try to source some Red EBC's for the car.

So how about rotors? I'd really like to go full floating if possible. Isolating the rotor from the hat just makes sense and I've always appreciated it on the bikes that I've changed over to floaters.

KfabR8
August 19th, 2009, 20:17
Can I get the new C6 RS6 rotors in the States???

Looks like my best option may be to have Grizz set up a complete kit for me, eh?

I recall seeing a thread or two on his stuff and everything he touches is praised.

KfabR8
August 19th, 2009, 20:20
Will the Grizz kit fit inside stock wheels? I run OZ's in the summer and the stockers in the winter.

grizz
August 19th, 2009, 20:31
They will fit under stock 19" rims.

DHall1
August 19th, 2009, 20:49
But the whole shooting match from Grizz.

He will ship it to your door.

Stock US 18" wheels will not fit. Sell them and get some 19" winters to use.

Will the Grizz kit fit inside stock wheels? I run OZ's in the summer and the stockers in the winter.

hahnmgh63
August 19th, 2009, 21:28
Stock C6 rotors alone are probably over 50#'s shipping though. Wish we could source the rotors here in the states.

DuckWingDuck
August 19th, 2009, 22:38
grizz will be in Vegas in Nov, drive your car out and have hi fit it on personally!!! haha, jk. Grizz, gonna try to make sure I'm in town so I can jaunt up to Vegas for a get together.

Hy Octane
August 19th, 2009, 22:47
Just ordered a set of EBC redstuffs for the beast from ECS ...$246 shipped to my door.
Will put them on and report back..

DuckWingDuck
August 19th, 2009, 22:59
wow, that seems high, have ebc pad pricing gone up? Or I guess that's with shipping....?

grizz
August 19th, 2009, 23:34
My ebc reds lasted 3000 miles ....

DuckWingDuck
August 19th, 2009, 23:42
holy eff! 3k miles?

DHall1
August 20th, 2009, 00:51
Is that front and rear?

I paid 175 for the fronts. We had a thread on it

Grizz-you must be hard on brakes. Mine are fine and have 95% thickness at 4k miles. Or I must drive like grandma

Just ordered a set of EBC redstuffs for the beast from ECS ...$246 shipped to my door.
Will put them on and report back..

cornishmoocher
August 20th, 2009, 07:31
Stock pads are fine, they are pagids and in conjunction with grizzzesszszzzzz upgrade you get this. (sorry for the repost those who have seen it) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIh32Jhpy2w

KfabR8
August 20th, 2009, 13:02
But the whole shooting match from Grizz.

He will ship it to your door.

Stock US 18" wheels will not fit. Sell them and get some 19" winters to use.Just not an option. I have two sets of 18" - stockers w/Blizzaks and OZ Ultraleggeras w/Bridgestone's. I don't want to spend more on wheels and sneakers. I also don't want the ride that 19's would induce.

I am interested in the Phaeton ductwork - that will fit on an OEM sized setup, correct?

Looks like what I'll end up doing is:
EBC reds
Phaeton ducting
Some sort of floating rotor if available - or am I just as well to get another set of stock rotors and bang away there?

The car's not going to ever see the track, just local street terrorizing. :thumb:

DHall1
August 20th, 2009, 15:07
Yep, I would not change 2 sets of wheels and tires just to upgrade the rotors.

Sounds like a reasonable plan. Grizz has the Phaeton kits all ready to go as well.

There are a couple of discount Audi sources that get new Audi rotors down to 500 a pair. Much better than Audi over the counter.

Amulet-S6
August 20th, 2009, 16:17
I bought the pheaton ducts form Grizz and they fit perfectly. I run them under my stock 18" wheels. No clearance issues.

Personally, I think a more aggressive pad is all that is needed for "better braking." Especially true if you're not taking the car to the track. For my next street set, I'm going to try the EBS red's.

For the track, I use Pagid Black pads up front with custom rotors and hats. They rotors have much larger internal cooling channels than oem. For the rear I use stock rotor and EBS yellow. Those along with hi temp brake fluid perform wonderfully.

Here's a comparison photo of the oem rotor on the left and custom on right. Identical dimensions as stock. Rotor, hat and all parts for front ~$980 http://forums.audiworld.com/album.php?albumid=64828&pictureid=218993

http://forums.audiworld.com/album.php?albumid=64828&pictureid=218993

Jimhttp://forums.audiworld.com/album.php?albumid=64828&pictureid=218993

Hy Octane
August 20th, 2009, 18:00
wow, that seems high, have ebc pad pricing gone up? Or I guess that's with shipping....?

Fronts w/ sensors are $155 and the rears are $77. tax and shipping makes up the rest.

I;m having my OEM pads removed at 40% pad left as my tech tells me that this is when the pins begin to grind the rotors. I am trying to get as much life out of these rotors as possible. We'll see how it goes.

EDIT:: Just noticed that ECS tuning is offering a pair of OEM front rotors for $680. Just ordered a set.

DHall1
August 20th, 2009, 18:44
That sounds good on the pads.

I also agree 100% on getting the oem pads off at 40%. Good move again.

You could have gotten the rotors alittle cheaper. 500ish from a couple of places. 680 is alittle cheaper than the dealer so your not paying too much.

Fronts w/ sensors are $155 and the rears are $77. tax and shipping makes up the rest.

I;m having my OEM pads removed at 40% pad left as my tech tells me that this is when the pins begin to grind the rotors. I am trying to get as much life out of these rotors as possible. We'll see how it goes.

EDIT:: Just noticed that ECS tuning is offering a pair of OEM front rotors for $680. Just ordered a set.

hahnmgh63
August 20th, 2009, 18:59
Hy Octane, do a search as there is a guy on here that was selling them for about $500~$520 delivered and I got them in only 3 days after I Paypal'd him. If you have problems finding his E-mail let me know as I saved it in yahoo mail which my work blocks.

kingofnyc22
August 21st, 2009, 05:52
I bought the pheaton ducts form Grizz and they fit perfectly. I run them under my stock 18" wheels. No clearance issues.

Personally, I think a more aggressive pad is all that is needed for "better braking." Especially true if you're not taking the car to the track. For my next street set, I'm going to try the EBS red's.

For the track, I use Pagid Black pads up front with custom rotors and hats. They rotors have much larger internal cooling channels than oem. For the rear I use stock rotor and EBS yellow. Those along with hi temp brake fluid perform wonderfully.

Here's a comparison photo of the oem rotor on the left and custom on right. Identical dimensions as stock. Rotor, hat and all parts for front ~$980 http://forums.audiworld.com/album.php?albumid=64828&pictureid=218993

http://forums.audiworld.com/album.php?albumid=64828&pictureid=218993

Jimhttp://forums.audiworld.com/album.php?albumid=64828&pictureid=218993

Are those rotors from JHM?

Amulet-S6
August 24th, 2009, 20:53
Are those rotors from JHM?

No, the rotors and hats came from Crown Southwest. It was a group buy initiated by "JP4" on the audiworld forums. Complete rotors and hats were $980/pr. Replacement rotor rings and mounting hardware come to $405/pr
I may be able to dig up the contact info if you're interested.

Jim

DuckWingDuck
August 25th, 2009, 04:58
do a search for jimmy custom rotor. His email is on one of the threads, would need to contact him but the last time we talked he was on his last set and had found a buyer.