PDA

View Full Version : Quick advice please - replacing timing belt, what else goes on the list?

LIRS6
August 13th, 2009, 20:41
I will have my timing belt service done shortly. I know that I will need a new thermostat. I blv that I should consider replacing the water pump as well? ... anything else during this service while the access is there? (I replaced O2 sensors already).

Any quick advice is most appreciated.

hahnmgh63
August 13th, 2009, 20:53
Do the:

1 Timing Belt
3 Timing Belt Tensioners / Idlers
1 Water Pump w/ Gasket
1 Front Crank Seal
2 Camshaft Seals
Serpentine Belt
Thermostat With O-Ring

LIRS6
August 13th, 2009, 20:54
Okay, after quick search I came up with the following:

timing belt, serpentine belt, water pump, thermostat, rollers, tensioners/belt damper.... anything else?

LIRS6
August 13th, 2009, 20:55
Do the:

1 Timing Belt
3 Timing Belt Tensioners / Idlers
1 Water Pump w/ Gasket
1 Front Crank Seal
2 Camshaft Seals
Serpentine Belt
Thermostat With O-Ring

Super, thanks!

JAXRS6
August 13th, 2009, 20:57
Someone wrote long ago that replacing the starter requires engine removal, so you might want to check the starter to be sure it's OK.

4ng crcs
August 13th, 2009, 21:11
the Stasis Ohlins... do you still have them and are they still keeping quiet after Henry's 'special' replacement kit?

hahnmgh63
August 13th, 2009, 22:48
I originally heard that the engine needed to be dropped for the starter replacement but now many others claim (RS246.com) that it doesn't need to be dropped? Would be nice to know for sure, or I could stop being lazy next time I have my car on my lift and I'll try to remember to take a look at it.

LIRS6
August 14th, 2009, 12:52
the Stasis Ohlins... do you still have them and are they still keeping quiet after Henry's 'special' replacement kit?

I don't have the awful clunking that dominated my ride previously. Initially the new rears were church-mouse quiet, but after a few months I started to hear a mild thump in the rear when going over bumps or such. It is very acceptable - not at all like the previous issue. Based upon recent comments from others about Audi's DRC solution, I will stick with the Stasis Ohlins; too many comments about high ride height settings, soft rides, etc.

I've always liked the performance of the Stasis Ohlins - with the clunking issue solved (to date), now I'm really a happy camper. Oh, and I got fully reimbursed by Audi anyway. :rs6kiss:

Shoppinit
August 14th, 2009, 19:10
Is there anything that can be changed on this car without removing the engine? :(

V8weight
August 14th, 2009, 21:18
Is there anything that can be changed on this car without removing the engine? :(
That's actually a myth. A good tech can change pretty much anything on an RS6 without the need to drop the engine. My car has had all four 02 sensors, both downpipes, and the torque converter changed this year, and the engine has never once come out.:mech:

Shoppinit
August 14th, 2009, 21:35
That's really interesting. I did read somewhere that the o2 sensors could be changed without removnig the engine, but that it was difficult to ensure good electrical connection to the new sensors so it was recommended to drop the engine. I also heard that the box could be removed without dropping the engine, too.

STaley
August 16th, 2009, 15:46

The evap purge valve is a sinch! LOL